Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default question that i heard today about food

So i heard that grain free dog food is the cause of some heart problems in dogs has anyone ever heard that befroe and i was wanting to know what types of food you all feed ur pyrs. i want something the is good for joints and heart and kidneys. and the ingredients i want the first 3-4 to be meat. i have been using american journey for large breed puppies the chicken and sweet pot flavor and he loves it but it is grain free.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

According to the FDA, there is the possibility that certain grain-free diets may contribute to the development of heart disease in some dogs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that all dogs eating grain-free food will get sick from it.

Here is the link to an article I shared in a different thread a while back...

https://www.americanveterinarian.com...-heart-disease

If your pup likes the American Journey food and is doing well on it, then I don’t see any harm in keeping him on it.

As far as if it’s “better” to feed a food with grains vs. a grain-free formula? It really depends on the dog. Some truly need a grain-free formula due to sensitivities or allergies, while other dogs seem to tolerate formulas that contain grains better. It’s all about finding a food that works for you!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    According to the FDA, there is the possibility that certain grain-free diets may contribute to the development of heart disease in some dogs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that all dogs eating grain-free food will get sick from it.

Here is the link to an article I shared in a different thread a while back...

https://www.americanveterinarian.com...-heart-disease

If your pup likes the American Journey food and is doing well on it, then I don’t see any harm in keeping him on it.

As far as if it’s “better” to feed a food with grains vs. a grain-free formula? It really depends on the dog. Some truly need a grain-free formula due to sensitivities or allergies, while other dogs seem to tolerate formulas that contain grains better. It’s all about finding a food that works for you!
    As SM said it really is an ongoing discussion and there are hardly any hard facts. I have made great experiences with grain-free diets but then this is only my experience