Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Max, who does NOT like marching bands, slipped his collar yesterday!

I was so afraid I was going to lose Max with his collar in my hand. He is chipped, but he is also an adorable puppy who someone might decide to just keep.

There is an annual homecoming parade that goes right behind out house and everyone attends. Since Max has shown zero fear of anything and loves all people, we took him. He was a fan of all the spectators who petted him, especially the kids. He was intrigued by the fire truck and the floats and the fancy cars, and he loved all the attention from the people on floats. He was nervous of the flag twirlers, hid behind my chair. Then came flutes and clarinets, fine. But when the trumpets marched by, he was terrified and pulled away. Then sousaphones were even MORE scary, and he twisted just right and pulled out of his collar!

We had 2 things in our favor during this terrifying moment. One, we were 2 blocks from home and he apparently thinks of that as a safe place, because he headed right down the sidewalk towards our house. Two, he is not an athlete, he didn't really RUN away so much as walk away at a brisk pace. It took a block and about 5 minutes. He was pinned by houses and fences on one side and traffic arriving at the parade route on the other, and he calmed as he walked so that he was willing to come get a hug and pets and treats (and collar back on). He actually likes his collar, didn't fight it going back on.

So by this point, the band had marched on and we were back to floats and cars, so we went back and enjoyed the rest of the parade without incident. So now, literally the entire list of things we know Max fears is "high schoolers playing brass instruments marching down the street." And through all of this, he didn't bark at all, we've still only heard him bark one time, ever.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

those trumpets must have really hurt his ears...poor Max

so glad that he headed home...but still stops your heart for awhile hoping nothing happens to him

maybe when you take him somewhere like that (if you ever do!) try a martingale collar...they are fairly slip proof

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    those trumpets must have really hurt his ears...poor Max

so glad that he headed home...but still stops your heart for awhile hoping nothing happens to him

maybe when you take him somewhere like that (if you ever do!) try a martingale collar...they are fairly slip proof
    Yes, or maybe a no-pull harness. Or now that I know his one fear, I may just take pepperoni in my pocket and hold his collar and give him hugs. I wasn't prepared for a fear response, because he's mostly fearless. He loved the whole rest of the 1.5 hour experience, so I wouldn't want him to miss all the fun. Besides, we were literally standing behind my back fence, so the band would have been almost as loud inside our house as it was out on the street (this is how we realized the parade route is there the first year we moved here)! I do wonder if he was going to turn at the corner and continue toward our front door (it's a 3 block letter C to get to the sidewalk directly behind our house), but I couldn't risk finding out once he came close enough to be re-captured.

Max would really like a preschooler of his very own. They are just exactly his height and they make him so happy. He got to snuggle with a huge selection of neighborhood preschoolers, along with every other age of neighbor. I am pretty surprised he didn't bark at the band, I keep expecting him to get more vocal.