Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Adult pyr (6) showing aggressive ***ual behavior towards house guests

Hello all! So I’m a sort of “step mother” to an adult great pyr. He belongs to my boyfriend of 5 years but I am the main care giver for him. The dog, Tony, has recently over the past few months began to jump up and aggressively bark at some people when they walk into our house. It’s not everyone, maybe a selection of 5 out of about 20 different people. It’s a mixture of guys and girls. Those same people he becomes a little obsessive with while they’re in our home. Tony follows them around, pants, sniffs them then starts getting creepy and tries mounting them. When he’s being taken away from the person he will sometimes snap at whoever is pulling him back. Once Tony is separated he becomes frantic. He begins pacing, panting, whining and barking to no end. It’s really making me want to pull my hair out lately as I’m usually the one sitting in the room with him trying to get him to calm down while my boyfriend has his friends over. Our dog is not neutered. I’m not sure why that was never done but I have been trying to explain to my boyfriend that it needs to happen. Would neutering Tony help with these situations? I’m terrified he’s going to end up accidentally hurting someone and it becoming a really bad situation. He doesn’t snap at myself or my boyfriend but will nip at our roommate should he try to pull him away from someone. Is there a chance that getting him neutered could make the situation worse? Is there anything else we could try until we can save up the money for the operation? (We already spend over $200 a month on him due to his allergies.) Any help is appreciated!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

If it were me, the first step I would take would be to talk to my vet and see if s/he wanted to run any tests to rule out an underlying medical condition. This is unusual behavior for a 6 year old Pyr to begin suddenly.

Both of my boys will give “Special Hugs” on occasion (they’re both neutered). With Sebastian, it is usually when he becomes overly excited wanting to play. Chester, my non-Pyr, only “hugs” one of my nephews now that he has been neutered. With Chester, I think that the behavior may be rooted in nervous energy (Chester has a history of anxiety, and doesn’t have a lot of experience with kids).
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Scientifically speaking, one way to reduce a male dog’s aggression is to neuter him. However, does neutering stop them from showing aggressive behavior? It's such a hard question to answer. You're always going to find people with dogs that have been neutered complaining about their dogs still being aggressive.

I have a female half pyr that loves being around new people. She gets excited/happy when new friends come to my house because she loves the attention (and treats). Before I got her, I did a lot of research on the breed and I was so scared that she was going to bark at guests, that for a while, I had my guests meet us at the dog park or other public places. I did it because, at that time, I though that it would be a good idea to introduce my rescue dog to my friends outside my home. I read my dog's body language and made sure my guests had tons of treats.
    I think I've only let Pippa (that's my dog's name) meet 2 guests in my home. And I did it because these two people were in their seventies and I didn't feel like asking them to meet Pippa beforehand.

It's never to late to try something like that. All I can tell you is that it worked for me. My dog associates guests with tummy rubs and treats. I will never know what would have happened if I hadn't made my friends meet Pippa outside the house, but as I said, I was so scared that my dog would be aggressive that I decide to do it that way.

Assuming Tony doesn't have an underlying medical condition and while you wait to have him neutered, you can try to meet some guests outside your home and see how the behavior changes. If you do it, study Tony's behavior and write everything down.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    Scientifically speaking, one way to reduce a male dog’s aggression is to neuter him. However, does neutering stop them from showing aggressive behavior? It's such a hard question to answer. You're always going to find people with dogs that have been neutered complaining about their dogs still being aggressive.

I have a female half pyr that loves being around new people. She gets excited/happy when new friends come to my house because she loves the attention (and treats). Before I got her, I did a lot of research on the breed and I was so scared that she was going to bark at guests, that for a while, I had my guests meet us at the dog park or other public places. I did it because, at that time, I though that it would be a good idea to introduce my rescue dog to my friends outside my home. I read my dog's body language and made sure my guests had tons of treats.
    I think I've only let Pippa (that's my dog's name) meet 2 guests in my home. And I did it because these two people were in their seventies and I didn't feel like asking them to meet Pippa beforehand.

It's never to late to try something like that. All I can tell you is that it worked for me. My dog associates guests with tummy rubs and treats. I will never know what would have happened if I hadn't made my friends meet Pippa outside the house, but as I said, I was so scared that my dog would be aggressive that I decide to do it that way.

Assuming Tony doesn't have an underlying medical condition and while you wait to have him neutered, you can try to meet some guests outside your home and see how the behavior changes. If you do it, study Tony's behavior and write everything down.
    I also had good experience with neutering my male dog. It took away most of his aggression actually