Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

cooltouch`s Photos

Thanks for your input, Jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    yep, from the time they're 2 months, they put on 10 lbs a month on average. For some the growth rate slows down once they reach 6 months, but for others they continue to do the 10 lbs a month up to a year.
    Yeah, this is right at what his growth rate is. The vet visits have been 3 weeks apart and with each visit he's gained 9 pounds. Close enough to 10 per month.

LOL, I hope you meant you caught him in the act. Because if you only grabbed the book after he's already done the damage and walked away, you would have succeeded in making him scared of you when you yell, not necessarily that he made the connection of teeth on book is the issue.
    Fortunately, I caught him in the act. Rather, I heard him gnawing on the books, and I demanded in a very firm voice, "What are you doing?" Which caused him to cease and desist because he recognizes that tone of voice. I got up immediately and found where he'd been gnawing, grabbed the books and thrust them at him. The time from his gnawing to my thrust was probably about a minute. Hopefully his attention span lasts that long. Besides, he knew he was in trouble over something because of my demand. And I suppose the proof is in the pudding because he hasn't gnawed on any of those books since I had my little talk with him. Hope it lasts.

You're lucky if your pup responds to voice corrections... It's not unusual for pyr pups to not respond to verbal corrections. Yell all you want and they just look at you like you are nuts. My Bijou was like that. Her nephew, my current 2yo Ren is a not as bad as she was.
    My wife is having this sort of problem with him where he jumps up on her. She yells "Don't jump!" at him and it has zero effect. I've done the same and he doesn't jump up on me nearly as much. The difference? When he jumped up on me I pushed him down with some force -- several times. Sent him sprawling a few times. Didn't hurt him at all -- he's a remarkably tough and resilient pup. But knocking him down I guess got the point across. I keep telling the wife to do the same thing, but she won't. He also has this really bad habit of getting literally under foot in the kitchen, planting himself directly under the sink and the area of the kitchen counter that gets used the most. I shove him across the floor with my foot. But my wife just whines at him to move, which he happily ignores. What chaps my butt somewhat about this habit of his is that, because he's so completely under foot, invariably he gets stepped on. And then this pup, who feels no pain, lets out a yelp of mortal agony, as if he'd just been stabbed or something. And I know it's all an act of his, which annoys me even more.

I take him out to the back yard after each meal, in the hopes that he'll poop. We're often out there for as long as an hour. So, me, I'll grab a lawn chair and hang out with a book. Well, when he sees me sitting in a chair, to him that's like an instant invitation for him to try to get into my lap. He's gotten so big now that when he comes up to me, he puts his paws up and they almost reach my shoulders. I will put up with this behavior some, since we get to be face to face, but it's been a while now since I've dragged him up into my lap. He loves it, but he's just gotten too big. So instead we just wrassle about some before he gets bored or I've had enough.

Obedience class could help, but I would not enroll in those very rigid obedience classes that use leash corrections to address any and all less than perfect cooperation. If you can find a class that is less structured and rigid, it can help you bond with your pup. For me those early classes aren't about getting my pup to obey commands. It's more about learning about your pup, see what he responds to and what motivates him.
    Good advice. I'll look for something like this in my area. Thanks much.
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    The difference? When he jumped up on me I pushed him down with some force -- several times. Sent him sprawling a few times. Didn't hurt him at all
    Oy... I would advise against doing that... he's tough, until he's hurt. It only takes on wrong tumble and the pup ends up with a busted knee or other joints. The injury itself would only be half of your pain - you don't really want to find out what it's like trying to keep a pup on restricted activities...

It's also not a good idea on the pushing thing for a different reason. As you are observing, the pup is growing very fast. He's only 4 months old so he's really not all that coordinated yet. As he gains more in control of his movements and becomes bigger and stronger, it would not be beyond a pyr pup like him to think this pushing is a game. That would be a totally typical reaction of pyr pups. They play rough. Thus it would not be that good of an idea to ask your wife to push the puppy. More than likely he will make her his playmate, and I doubt she'll appreciate that... and it would be your fault...

One way to deal with jumping up is when the pup jump, walk into it instead of back away. Dogs generally don't like walking backwards on 2 legs. Other people deliberately step on the puppy's back toes when they jump up.

Prior to Ren, we we were a 2-pyr household for a dozen years. Since Ren is an only child, from the first day we got him, I broke all the rules and made myself his playmate. I encouraged him to tackle and bite me. But I did it knowing what I was getting into. Believe me, there were plenty of days I wished I hadn't done that - but I had no one to blame but myself. It's not something that I'd recommend to others. But it was ok for us because of Ren has an "off" button and so when he went puppy crazy, it didn't last long.

cooltouch`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    It's also not a good idea on the pushing thing for a different reason. As you are observing, the pup is growing very fast. He's only 4 months old so he's really not all that coordinated yet. As he gains more in control of his movements and becomes bigger and stronger, it would not be beyond a pyr pup like him to think this pushing is a game. That would be a totally typical reaction of pyr pups. They play rough. Thus it would not be that good of an idea to ask your wife to push the puppy. More than likely he will make her his playmate, and I doubt she'll appreciate that... and it would be your fault...

One way to deal with jumping up is when the pup jump, walk into it instead of back away. Dogs generally don't like walking backwards on 2 legs. Other people deliberately step on the puppy's back toes when they jump up.
    Thanks for that tip! I'll give this a try with him next time he jumps, and I'll tell my wife about what you wrote. Yeah, we don't need for him to start thinking our trying to get him not to jump is just rough housing. That's all we'll need when he's a year old and still a pup in his head, but weighing over a hundred pounds! Yeek!

Any tips on getting a Pyr pup to stop biting? He doesn't do it so much with me anymore, but he still takes quick nips at my wife. Usually when he's jumping on her. Maybe curing him of one type of behavior will take care of the second?
    Best,
    Michael