Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Our 4 mo old Pyr pup and I say Hi! Trying to figure out a name for him still . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog_1c.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	9819

Hi to all. I'm new to this site and glad to be here. It just now occurred to me to look for a Great Pyrenees forum, and I'm glad I found you guys.

We've had our Pyr pup since mid-July; we got him when he was 8 weeks old. He turns 4 months in a couple of days. He's a very healthy pup. We've had him to the vet three times so far, and each time they weigh him, he's gained 9 pounds from the previous visit. He's 35 lb now and I can almost see him growing before my eyes. Almost, nothing! Heh.

I don't know what Pyr pups are like, but to me, he's behaving just about the way I expect a 4mo old pup to behave. He's energetic, rambunctious at times, chews on everything, and, I swear, he eats more than I do. We've been putting down the puppy training pads in the house, and he got the hang of them pretty quick. He's really good about using a pad if he has to go. But one thing we do do like clockwork is we let him out to romp around in our back yard after every meal, hoping he'll go poop back there. He doesn't always, but so it goes.

Speaking of which, we own our own home and we are fortunate to have a very large back yard, so he has plenty of room to run. I wish we had 10 or 15 acres, where he could really air things out, but a big back yard will just have to do. He shares the house with three cats. This has been something of a challenge. We finally figured out how to locate the cat box where he couldn't get to their poop, but when we feed the cats, we have to take him outside. When they're finished, we pick up their bowls and let him back in.

When we brought him home, he was smaller than our smallest cat. Now he's about twice the size, and weighs almost three times as much as our largest cat. He just wants to play with them, but the cats haven't adjusted all that well to his rapid size increase. They're scared of him and will swat at him occasionally. Usually they just run and hide.

I've been watching videos on YouTube about Great Pyrenees. One thing I noticed in a couple of the videos was cats wandering around while the dog and its owner were conducting the video and the dog couldn't care less what the cat was doing. Okay, well then, I remain hopeful about the future relations between our cats and our new dog. Heh.

One of the main things preoccupying me right now is trying to think of a name for him. I told my wife we shouldn't be too quick to find a name for him, that his personality will suggest one for us. Well, so far, we've struck out. It appears right now that he's gonna wind up being called Charley. Heck, he looks kinda like a Charley, so maybe it'll stick. But I've looked for other names. I even found a website with Basque names, thinking of authenticity and all. The Basques are a people who have lived in the Pyrenees mountains for thousands of years, so . . . but nothing Basque seemed appropriate for him. Going through just a regular baby name website right now, the top 1,000 most popular names. Still have about 800 to go. I suspect he'll probably still end up being called Charley. Oh well.

You know what I'm reminded of? If you're close to my age, you'll recall the classic Warner Brothers cartoons, especially one of those that involve Wile E. Coyote and a large white sheep dog. At the end of the cartoon, there's this scene where both Wile E. and the sheep dog are punching a time clock, as in they've put in their work day and it's time to go home. When they're punching their time cards, they say goodbye to each other. I'm pretty sure that one of them is named Ralph, but I don't recall the name of the other one. Anybody here remember this?
    Best,
    Michael

Young Dawg (Member) Meatball Murphy's Avatar

Welcome
    And omg yes his name was Ralph. I totally remembered and smiled soon as you mentioned it. Lmao.
    As for cats and dog either they will be friends or they won't. My cat is 10 and has seen 3 dogs come and go plus my 2 now, ge has never been friendly with any of them but they coexist not well though. Cat learns when dogs sleep and runs in cat door quickly, not sure why though my other dogs used to sleep with our cats before him. Sketchy cat!!
    Anyway again welcome
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome cooltouch and puppy!

I am a huge Looney Tunes nerd. I named my non-Pyr Chester after the hyperactive terrier sidekick of Spike the Bulldog.

Name:	C1FB41A0-EE1F-4B38-B989-328CB6ED1796.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	9820

The Wile E. Coyote character in the series of cartoons featuring the sheepdog is actually a variation of Wile E. Coyote that they named Ralph Wolf.

Name:	358E6566-5BC0-46CF-9F3B-2D3694402613.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	9821

The Sheepdog is named Sam.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXLCwJCugA

Iím afraid I canít help you with the cats. Both of mine think that cats are the most fun when they are puffed up with their backs arched. I can just say the word Kitty Cat, and they are both at the window looking for one to ďplayĒ with.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Remember how I said that Sebastian was not a friend of cats? Well, this was about 15 minutes ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhf0...&persist_app=1

The cat is still there. Sebastian is still going berserk. Iím glad I didnít have anything that requires steady concentration on the agenda for today.

I have no idea whose cat that is.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Heck, he looks kinda like a Charley
    Ok, so, can't help it... what does a Charley look like?

Some years back there was a member here who had a pyr they named Ralph. Ralph shared his home with his canine brother named Charley who was a 3 lb cute tiny little scrawny tbrownish/black colored thing whose breed escapes me right now. So I couldn't help smiling when you say your guy "looks kinda like a Charley"

When we were picking a name for Ren, I had a list of 35 names. Then I managed to whittle it down to about 19....

I guess it's just sort of the expression he gets at times -- where Charley sorta fits. I dunno. Trying to figure out a name for this dog has been an ordeal. I've looked at literally hundreds of names, and I've chosen lots. But with each one, my wife goes "No." No explanation, nothing. Just "No." So, I sigh, and keep digging. When I mentioned Charley to her, she just kinda looked at him and nodded, and said if that's what I wanted to name him, it was OK by her. Grrr. There were a few dozen other names I would have rather named him, but this is the only name that has passed SWMBO's approval.
    Best,
    Michael

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Here's one for you...I found this on another site

We started the day with a post about defining characteristics of the Great Pyrenees, and it seems fitting to end the day with the same breed.

Great Pyrenees,mascot,logo,Sea Dog Brewing Company
    The real “Barney”

“Barney” is the Great Pyrenees mascot of the Sea Dog Brewing Company founded by Pete Camplin, Sr. in 1993 in the historic shipbuilding town of Camden, Maine. He belonged to the founder, and “served” as an apprentice brewmaster and figurehead. Barney typically posted guard over the brew kettle as it boiled making sure that neither harm nor foul play met with the beer. Some say that the Great Pyrenees is a breed that doesn’t love the water, but Barney loved it and dove right in whenever he got the chance. In fact, he was a boating “enthusiast” who began sailing at the age of three months, and thus acquired his nickname of “Sea Dog.” The big white dog was as much at home on deck as he was on land.

Barney has since passed over, but he remains alive in the brew company’s logo.

and welcome to you, your family & your Pyr!

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Name:	dog_1c.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	9819

I even found a website with Basque names, thinking of authenticity and all. The Basques are a people who have lived in the Pyrenees mountains for thousands of years, so . . . but nothing Basque seemed appropriate for him. Going through just a regular baby name website right now, the top 1,000 most popular names. Still have about 800 to go. I suspect he'll probably still end up being called Charley. Oh well.
    Welcome!

If you need help with the basque language, feel free to ask. I grew up by the Pyrenees mountains and basque is my first language Back home, my parents always gave our pets basque names because that's the language we speak at work, on the streets, at home... Most people I know use the name of colors and emotions translated into basque to name their dogs. My favorite dog ever back when I was still living there was Beltza, which means dark color. I love the way it sounds. Unfortunately, most words in basque are very hard to pronounce.

I thought about giving my dog a basque name, but I had to abort the idea when I came up with a list of 10 or more potential names and my spouse couldn't pronounce any name correctly lol

My name is basque by way! Mikel. Your basque version of Michael.

Thanks again to everyone for relaying your thoughts and advice. Owning a new Great Pyr is definitely a learning experience.

I'm astounded at how fast he's growing. At the vet's a couple weeks ago, he weighed 35 lb. I'll wager he's over 40 now. He can now easily reach the kitchen counter, even hang his head over the lip of the kitchen sink. We've relocated our cats' dishes to the kitchen counter, but it's probably not more than a week or two before he'll be able to reach their dishes. And bring them crashing to the floor. I can see it now.

I'm going to have to see about working with a few basic commands with him, with the hopes that they'll stick. My wife can get him to sit, but not stay. I've gotten things with him settled such that he doesn't try to bite me anymore. And I managed to put an end to an annoying -- very annoying -- habit he started developing where he decided he liked chewing on book bindings. I have stacks of books in front of my book cases because I haven't built shelves for them yet. He ruined a couple of cookbooks before I got it across to him that they were not to be touched. Getting it across to him involved me grabbing the chewed up book, thrusting it in his face, and yelling at him about it. He physically winced when I yelled at him. I'm pretty sure I got the point across.

I'm hoping I can dial things down a few notches. I don't like having to yell at him. I'm hoping I can develop an effective technique where I can use a firm command voice, paired with whatever movements will be necessary to get my points across. I suppose I can enroll him and me in an obedience class. What do you folks think of obedience classes? I know Great Pyrs are an independent breed -- and he's showing every sign of this independence -- but surely they can be taught the basic stuff. And at what age do you think is best for this sort of thing?
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

I'm astounded at how fast he's growing.
    yep, from the time they're 2 months, they put on 10 lbs a month on average. For some the growth rate slows down once they reach 6 months, but for others they continue to do the 10 lbs a month up to a year.

Getting it across to him involved me grabbing the chewed up book, thrusting it in his face, and yelling at him about it. He physically winced when I yelled at him. I'm pretty sure I got the point across.
    LOL, I hope you meant you caught him in the act. Because if you only grabbed the book after he's already done the damage and walked away, you would have succeeded in making him scared of you when you yell, not necessarily that he made the connection of teeth on book is the issue.

I don't like having to yell at him. I'm hoping I can develop an effective technique where I can use a firm command voice, paired with whatever movements will be necessary to get my points across.
    You're lucky if your pup responds to voice corrections... It's not unusual for pyr pups to not respond to verbal corrections. Yell all you want and they just look at you like you are nuts. My Bijou was like that. Her nephew, my current 2yo Ren is a not as bad as she was.

Obedience class could help, but I would not enroll in those very rigid obedience classes that use leash corrections to address any and all less than perfect cooperation. If you can find a class that is less structured and rigid, it can help you bond with your pup. For me those early classes aren't about getting my pup to obey commands. It's more about learning about your pup, see what he responds to and what motivates him.