Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to give an update. Tomorrow our boy will be going to live on a farm to be trained to guard sheep. She knows the history and knows the breed. He likes our other dog now (the German shep/lab mix) and they enjoy playing and sharing toys but he just will not stop attacking him. He attacks always over food (even goose poop in the yard), he attacks when one of my children cry, and he attacks if he doesn’t like something. Like I needed to get poop off his feet one day and he wasn’t happy and went and attacked our other dog. They love play fighting in the yard. It’s a joy to watch. We love him so much and love this breed. It’s just with having little kids in the home with this attacking, it’s hard. He’s done sooo much better, and we were so hopeful. We had met this lady a week ago and planned on keeping him to January but the longer we keep him the more we fall in love despite the problems. My husband said to look at it like we were his foster and helped him along. I have taught him a lot of new things. Thank you everyone for your kindness. We told her if it doesn’t work out we will take him back. He’s too good for a dog to land in the wrong hands. His new home seems like it will be good, as long as he adjusts to his new duties!

Jewel`s Photos

Sending good thoughts and positive energy that this will be the right path for this boy. Sometimes with hardcore work line dogs, they have trouble dealing with perceived chaos that they cannot control. Maybe being a LGD would work for this boy since most of the time pasture life is relatively calm. He would also have more say on how to perform his job as a guardian to keep predators away - i.e., he would have a proper target to focus on when his guarding instinct kicks in.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

My husband tried taking him today and was almost there and told the lady he couldn't do it today. Silly Dog stole all our hearts...