Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default When can a 3.5 month old pyr be left outside all day while we work?

Hello, Iíve read a lot on this but wanted to ask regarding my specific situation. Blue is 3.5 months old. He has been indoor with the cats while we have been working. He gets along great with our youngest cat; they are best friends. The other 2 tolerate him fine generally. He is also in the yard a lot during the day when we are home. I want him to feel comfortable out there. He will hang out back there for hours without complaint. We also have 21 chickens and he has been introduced to them since he came home at 8 weeks. He will Ďhelpí with the chorses when I am out there. And I watch him herd them when they come down their tiers too low. Mostly, he sleeps on the back door step though. We have 3 rabbits that he likes to check in on too. We take him to puppy training class on Monday nights. We are working thru some potty training issues. But think him being outside when we are away could eliminate some of that confusion. The chickens generally arenít left out during the day when we are gone. So that is another thing. I read about not leaving them alone for fear he will attack one. He hasnít done anything near that and as I said mostly sits on the stair napping. So, finally, is it too soon? He would have stimulus outside from all the other animals and can hang out with his bff when I get home. Usually gone 9 hours, but he hangs out that long if I am home. I hope this is comprehensive enough! Thanks for any input!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

welcome jackie & Blue....

ummm....he has free run of the house while you are gone & outside when you are home?

is he your companion or are you trying to train him to be an LGD?

I do not have chickens or any other fuzzy little critters for my dogs to terrorize....so my input would not be helpful in that matter, hopefully those that have birds & critters will jump on & let you know what they have done in the past regarding training a young pup to be gentle with those creatures.

one other thing...is the area he is outside fenced in?

Puppy (New Member)

Well he is in and out when we are home. And during the day he is inside with access to kitchen and living room.. He isn’t put outside while we are home. He hangs out with us every evening. He goes out during the days we are home. We got him to be an LGD but know that takes training and time. And I want to normalize being in and outside.

Jewel`s Photos

At 3.5 months he's not even fully physically coordinated. He sleeps a lot because he's still a baby. So, it isn't a total surprise that he's not being too mischievous at this point. He doesn't even have adult teeth yet. They enter the teenage period around 5-6 months or so. By then they're pretty big at 60-70 lbs and agile and getting stronger. But their minds are still immature and can get into all sorts of trouble if not supervised and guided. So, it's not a good idea to assume that the way he is now is going to be the way he will be in a couple of months. He may, or he may not remain this way. You would have to observe how he does in the next 6 months to see when he may be trustworthy enough to be be left alone to make his own decisions.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much! That is what I was most concerned of! Iíll keep an eye on his progress. He has been up till now a very good boy. But I know he is still very young! Thanks again!!!