Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy My rescued Pyr “Ghost”...please help

I just rescued a Great Pyr, whom I’ve decided to name “Ghost”, but I’m worried he is allergic to my cats and/or something in my house. Is this a common thing with the breed? He sorta sneezes/coughs/gags yet it sounds like he needs to get rid of a hair ball I’ve only had him for a couple of days, and am not sure if I should be terribly worried, or thinking of something like Loratidine. (Basically generic Claritin)... Any information would be of great help. Thank you so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F37FF4AC-2F2D-4594-B32E-40F6DECBDD5F.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	9814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CA2729C-6F31-4A71-99E1-F399A43489A8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	9813  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

Hi WW and Ghost; welcome to the forum! You said, "He sorta sneezes/coughs/gags yet it sounds like he needs to get rid of a hair ball. I’ve only had him for a couple of days, and am not sure if I should be terribly worried....Any information would be of great help. Thank you so much!"

Do you have any history on your gorgeous Pyr? I'm not a vet, but it sounds like it could be bordetella ("kennel cough"). There could be other reasons for this, but I would take him to the vet to rule it out; it's very contagious and other dogs who haven't been vaccinated can easily catch it. Jewel and some of the other forum members can give you more information.

Please keep us updated!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

welcome & thank you for taking this boy in & giving him a safe & caring place to call home...

agree with CaseysMom.....call your vet, describe the symptoms....give your vet any info you may have on him & his history...and let us know the outcome...

my experience is that if they are allergic to something, it will usually manifest itself in hot spots, hair loss/biting at a certain area...not coughing

Jewel`s Photos

If it's just sneezing it might possibly be allergies. If coughing is involved, then I would want to have a visit with the vet to rule out kennel cough or other potential respiratory issues. But if you want to give allergy meds a try first, you can also consider Zertec because my vet as well as another vet suggested that for allergies.

I indeed had a pyr that was allergic to cats. At least that was what the allergy test showed...

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Welcome WW and Ghost
    if you rescued Ghost thru great pyr atlanta they will have intake medical records for Ghost available on request thru VCA. they will usually give a complete physical and shots plus spay and neuter. Otherwise i would suggest like others to schedule a vet appointment and have them check for Bordetalla. you will want to find out what shots Ghost was given so your new vet does not give same shots over again. what type of food do you have Ghost on? did you change it? the reason i ask is that my first pyr had trouble with processed chicken. other that that give him some time to settle in and lots of love.
    patrick