Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Ruptured Skin Cyst

Sebastian has had a cyst on his back for a little over a year. Iíve had it looked at twice, and we did a fine needle biopsy of it at his annual checkup this past Spring just to be sure that it really was nothing to worry about. It never really seemed to bother him all that much.

Over the weekend, I noticed that 1) Sebastian was being exceptionally needy, and 2) Sebastianís cyst was getting bigger. I was planning on talking to our new vet about it once I get the boys established as her patients.

Well, his cyst ruptured today, and, boy, is it nasty.

This is my first ruptured cyst, so I was wondering if anyone had any sage advice for trying to keep it clean. I trimmed some of the hair around it, and cleaned it out with some clorhexadine pads I had left over from a previous injury. He was good enough to cooperate with my cleaning it, which earned him a wet food treat.

He doesnít seem to be in too much discomfort from it, and fortunately, itís in a spot that he canít get to to lick.

Any and all insight/advice/commiseration would be more than welcome!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Ugh. Know that one all too well! When Lily had her first cyst open, we were given an irrigation solution to clean it out with daily. It was some type of saline product that had antimicrobials in it. Hers was somewhat deep and doc wanted it to heal from the bottom up. We used a needleless syringe to squirt the solution in. It took a while to completely fill in but the bottom section healed over pretty fast and there was no danger of exposed skin anymore. Hope Sebastian continues to be such a model patient and is feeling better soon!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I'm sorry to hear that, SM.

I wonder if exposure to sunlight might help keeping the area free of infections ...

Thank You so much, Antonia and Mikel!

Sebastian is pouting today, as now he has an owie on his back that he canít reach, and of course, it is all my fault. This morning, he insisted that I bring his breakfast upstairs to him, which I did, because of course, this is all my fault.

Not to be too graphic, but it is still in the oozing, gooey phase If the weather cooperates, I may try to see if we can get it some sunlight exposure, in the hopes that it helps to dry out the wound and prevent infection. As it currently looks like a nickel-sized bullet wound, I am a little worried about it getting infected and forming an abscess. I will say that if he managed to get out of the house right now and somebody found him, thereís a good chance that they would hesitate to give him back. I am hopeful that it will dry out and scab over soon.

In the meantime, I am going to pick up some vetericyn and sterile pads on the way home from work, to help keep the area clean. I donít want to use the clorhexadine too often, because Iím concerned that it will irritate the surrounding skin.

Iím encouraged to hear that Lilyís cyst healed without any complications. I hope that Sebastianís is able to do the same!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

How is Sebastian doing today...

Nancy, thank you!

His wound has finally started to dry out and form a scab, which I think has him feeling more comfortable. He is definitely less needy and pouty today, and is also less eager to cooperate with my attempts to clean the area.

I am hopeful that this turns out to be a really really gross non-event!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

SM I am so sorry to hear about Sebastions' Owie! Cysts suck especially when they burst... I have found over the years that plain witch Hazel is an amazing astringent to help clean the oozy phase and help healing... It sounds like you are past some of that but It's a really nice thing to have on hand It's soothing and really can help treat things around the Doctor stuff to heal. I actually keep colloidial silver on hand as an emergency "kill the bad germs" thing until I can get to treatment. Our laws are Kinda messed up and so it has to be sold as a supplement (WTF It KILLS bad germs and bacteria and is great in temporary and emergency situations, but no one in their right minds would use it as a supplement) It can make a huge difference in infection control until you can get treatment. enough lecturing. Zech sends his support Big Paw....

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    really really gross non-event!
    that was one giant pimple...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Poor Sebastian, Hope he is continuing to improve!!