Thread: Jumping Up

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Jumping Up

Great Pyrenees seem to have a tendancy to jump up on people. Mine does this at every chance he gets. My questions are as follows:
    1. Is this their way to greet people or request attention?
    2. Will allowing them to jump up like this cause later issues with their hips?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gadric View Post
    Great Pyrenees seem to have a tendancy to jump up on people. Mine does this at every chance he gets. My questions are as follows: 1. Is this their way to greet people or request attention?
    Both. It's an expression of excitement. But not all of them do it. My Bijou did that until she was about 2 yrs old. I didn't actually try a whole lot to correct the behavior as I believed she would stop when she grew bigger. She was pretty bad for a while. But by the time she turned 2, she stopped.

My current adolescent did not jump on people for quite a while. Then the people at daycare encouraged him to jump up because they thought he was sweet the way he would rear up and land gently on the person. He was about a year old at that time. By and by he grew out of it too. He's just turned 2 and he's not nearly as keen on jumping on people anymore. Doesn't mean he won't, but just not on everyone.

If your boy has bad hips, he likely would not be jumping up on people to begin with. Unless he's jumping up endlessly everyday, I doubt jumping people not really on regular basis would be causing hip issues.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My male Kangal has very bad hips and still chooses to jump up on folks he thinks are "worthy"... He's almost 5 so I have no real hope of changing his mind on this one. Thankfully, he chooses tall men as his targets and they are quite elated at being hugged by a dog that looks them in the eye.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I don't encourage jumping up on people...Rudy will still do it when he is very excited...such as when we come back from an extended vacation...then I can tell he knows not to jump up, but wants to so very badly...it's only then I will give him a command that says "okay"....unfortunately my neighbor thought that his jumping up was a sign of affection & she encouraged it....now that she has a large dog of her own, she understands why we didn't want this behavior....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greetings.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9811

Puppy (New Member)

Wink

Great Pyrenees seem to have a tendency to jump up on people. Mine does this at every chance he gets. My questions are as follows:
    1. Is this their way to greet people or request attention?
    My "puppy", Voli is almost 3 years old. His hips are in perfect shape as we're watching them VERY carfully as he grows even the little bit he has left in this last year. We've done more research on this breed, than I think we really needed to, however I really wanted a BIG dog, but I knew that hips and heart issues were really big in this breed.

Totally worth it best dog ever! I will never own another breed... even with the cotton ball floors during shedding season... *picks up another cotton ball throws it out*

Anyhow, Voli doesn't jump unless invited for a hug(me opening my arms). We are NOT having him jump all the time, or making him do tricks with it, only when he asks (normally a bow for a request when I get home for a second or two) Then he gets back down on his own accord. For him he is just showing affection, and its only for a moment to say hi, once I am ready to allow him up to say hi (this also keeps sharp claws from missing my shoulders from excitment).

Pyr's love to show affection by jumping up onto your shoulders and smelling (or licking, not my thing thou) your face. I have not been able to find anything anywhere that this would hurt them. My dog is very healthy, about 105lbs atm.

Why not let him say hi to you when invited? This also teaches him not on company, just mom when invited and keeps it from happening when your carrying food into the house(till i can set it down long enough to greet him too).

We have found:
    Genetics cause hip problems, if mom or dad had it, they are a higher risk candidate.
    Growth during puppy phase - buy a GOOD (not cheap) GIANT BREED dog food. Follow the feeding guidelines.
    Provide QUALITY treats - (marrow bones, and maybe MAYBE a slice of bacon with Sunday breakfast or a nibble of chicken but not enough to really increase his callorie count by any signifiacnt amount and healthy treats)
    Walks - We dont do runs for him, a light trot at best, but we do a walk at least 5 days a week.
    Weight - Make sure you are giving him food meals, we feed twice a day, some ppl only feed once per day, depends on your pet/schedule. My dog still has breakfast sitting here in his bowl, now he will eat later, but we still do NOT free feed him, keeping his weight in line.

Brushing is a good time to help rub on the hips and muscles to help relax growing pains too (and check to feel like everything is still growing right) I noticed my pup use to get growing pains when he was younger the massages really seemed to help.

For food (we used https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com) We ended up buying the Exclusive brand form Wilco because the quality was good, the prices were steady and fair. We started with Blue Buffalo but their prices went up pretty fast, and was not much difference in quality in comparision to the Exclusive brand that Wilco puts out.

I know this is far more than you were asking but I hope it helps and enjoys and loves your puppy!