Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noise Anxiety

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

We adopted Opie from a rescue a little over a year ago. He came from an elderly couple (thus the Opie name!) who could no longer care for him. We were told he doesn't do well with car rides or storms. Well, that didn't prepare us enough! Opie paces, drools, hyperventilates and trembles when he hears a storm coming from far away. Opie is 5 yrs old and weighs 169 lbs! I've been seeing our vet for over 15 years so he was the first person I talked to. My first effort was a ThunderShirt....no use at all and hard to get on this big bear :-) Next I tried some "natural" calming treats I found....Nope. The next was Benadryl.....no go. Then I asked the vet about CBD Oil. He said he's heard a lot of good things about it....at first it was enough to take the "edge" off, but then stopped working. I finally called the vet again and said we need some Doggy Valium. He gave me a few to try, saying to start with a half a tablet....that didn't phase him what-so-ever. We went to a full tablet and even that does very little. We're always calm and supportive with him. Tonight we put him in a colossal crate we have had for many years. You could fit a couple large Pyrs in it, it's that big! It has helped him a little bit, but it's sometimes hard to coax him in. I would love to hear if anyone has found something that works better other than what we've tried. He's a beautiful, loving dog except "storm time", then he's a neurotic mess! Oh, and did I mention we live in TX and Apr-June is severe weather season :-(

Jewel`s Photos

We are in the same area as you. Ren also has thunder anxiety. The thundershirt doesn't work on him either. Whatever you do do not use Acepromazine.

We use Selio. I hate using medication but it's not good for him to go through the stress of full out panic either. We don't use the full dose as suggested. We use about half dose for Ren's size (he's just about 90 lbs). It takes the edge off for him so that he's not actively panicking.

edit to add: I second SM's spelling of Sileo!!
    Last edited by Jewel; 04-07-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I second SM's spelling of Sileo!! :biggrin1:

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I second everything Jewel has said.

My Sebastian has Noise Anxiety, and seeks solace in my closet. When he senses a storm coming, he will bark at Chester (my other dog) and me until we follow him upstairs so that he can keep an eye on us from his safe place. Sometimes, I end up in the closet with him to soothe him.

We live about a mile away from where the Addison Kaboomtown Fireworks are staged every July 3rd. Sebastian is not a fan. We have gotten into the routine of giving him a half dose of Sileo, turning on the classical music station, and feeding him brisket in my closet during the fireworks. That has worked really well to keep him calm.

We do have a vet in the DFW area who specializes in behavior. PM me if you are interested, and I will give you her name. Both of my dogs have been going to her since 2015.

This is a good reminder to ask her to renew his Sileo prescription. We were hit pretty hard in the mid-March severe weather, which had Sebastian extra nervous during the storms yesterday morning.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My GP girl Lily seems to improve with her noise anxiety as she gets older... Not sure why this is but grateful for any relief. For the most part, as long as she is with me in my room, she can calm down enough to rest until the storm is over. Her fear of target practice (we have a lot that goes on in the surrounding desert area) seems to be lessening too but I always give her the choice to come in if she wants. My air purifier seems to work wonders in muffling the sounds for her and i always turn it on high to block out other noises. We've been able to keep her anxiety level low enough to not need meds and I hope that given her age, this will always be the case. My 4 year old Kangal has benefited from CBD oil greatly in the last year but her issues have been more general anxiety and not associated with noise phobias.