Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Almost New Owner

I rescued a pyr (might be a mix) yesterday and won't pick her up until tomorrow, Sunday, from a shelter. They think she's about five years old and looks so sweet. They really don't know much about her but since we had to put our labradoodle to sleep about 6 months ago and I have been looking for a rescue for the last 4 months. This sweetheart sort of fell in our lap. We're not picking her up until tomorrow from a transporter who will also be delivering about 14 other dogs throughout the state. I've had Newfies before but never a pry. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best type of food for this breed? She will go to the vet next week and she is severely underweight and needs to be spayed. Want to make sure I get her off to a good start. My Max was a very finicky eater but hoping that Bella, that's what I named our new pyr, won't be as picky. So thus my question as to the best dry food, if that is the best type for her. Also planning a supplemet for her bones/joints and fish oil for her coat and then a multi vitamin. So any information of what you feed your pyr would be greatly appreciated plus anything to help add a little weight to her. Again, thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40472422_2137603712918479_7245700860183838720_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	9806  

Jewel`s Photos

Thank you for rescuing Bella. I hope you will find her as sweet as she looks.

I hate to say this but it is not uncommon for a pyr to be a picky eater. I've known of pyrs that turn their noses up at steak, white meat chicken, ham, etc. Though I've been lucky that all of mine have been pretty good eaters.

There is just no best kind of food for every dog. I've always fed kibbles and home cooked, it's my choice. I have friends that feed only kibbles and friends that feed raw and their dogs do well. I would say that if you are used to feeding kibbles then start with a good quality one and see if it works for Bella. I've used Orijen, Acana, Wellness Core, Instinct. These are well regarded grain free kibbles. But my current adolescent has decided he doesn't like any of them anymore. He said he liked Merrick grain free so I gave him that for a while until he decided he didn't like that so much either. Now I am feeding Lotus which is not grain free. He seems to be ok on it. I top the kibbles with freeze dried raw from Stella & Chewy. He definitely likes the freeze dried raw stuff.

As for supplements, I would go slow. Some dogs don't do well on fish oil at all. For a time I gave mine several different supplements but they ended up itchy so I stopped everything. These days I opt for feeding good nutritious food and not use supplements unless there a particular issue comes up then I use supplement just as needed for short term.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Bella looks like she would appreciate a safe & caring home.....thank you for taking her in, hope you have many wonderful times together

As far as food, they really don't eat as much as you would think, our Rudy is going on 6 yrs. & eats 1 cup of dry food in the AM & PM...and sometimes when it's too warm for him, he will skip a meal...but your girl might be different as you don't know her history.

My thought is small meals multiple times a day, as you would a puppy...3 times a day maybe start with a cup & see how much she eats...it's not a bad thing for Pyr's to be on the lean side....that will help her bones & joints as well.

Our dogs like the Kirkland Natures Domain....I switch between the salmon & lamb formulas....you could go to a pet store & ask for samples to see what she prefers....and yes...they can be picky as well!!

Keep us informed on how she does fitting into your lives

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for your info. I'm picking Bella up this afternoon. They had to shave her down because the matting was so bad and found the tip of her tail is broken and she has some sort of rash/infection on her knee?? Do dogs have knees? Anyway will be taking her to the vet first thing on Monday. I'm used to finicky eaters as my Max (previous dog) I almost had to hand feed. And I am going to start her on a joint supplement, which I used with Max but since he was a picky eater it was a powder to be mixed into his food and it was hard to get him to eat it. A friend of mine who used it said it worked wonders on her dog and the fish oil I'm going to use is a powder and I will start slowly with it. Again, my friend said it did wonders for her dogs coat and the amount of shedding. So excited to get Bella as I've missed having a friend with me but I knew if I waited the right dog would come to us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1920655521562161.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	9808  

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for your reply. I am going to start her on small meals as she is very thin and will also start her on supplements. I've been waiting since we had to put Max (our labradoodle) to sleep and I knew if I waited I would find a special friend. I know she's going to be the one. They have said she is really sweet and calm and just stood there when they shaved her due to the amounts of mats she had and I'll get her to the vet tomorrow morning as she has a sore/infection on her knee and the tip of her tail is broken. Poor thing seems like she's had a hard life. That's about to change for her as of 3:30 this afternoon!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Bless you for taking on this sweet girl. I think there is nothing quite like the love given by a dog that has had a hard life when they finally realize they are home for good. This was my Lily's intake photo. She hadn't been shaved because she had almost no fur... And the second one is the day we got her. She had been wandering for a while, had recently had puppies and was very fearful. She was HW+ so we had to go through treatment and the recovery time which I think was actually good for her. A lot of quiet time to just watch and get to know us by observing. We fed multiple small meals a day and added eggs and goat yogurt to her kibble. She is truly one of the best things that ever happened to us. Can't wait to hear more about your journey together!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lily in foster.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	9809
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lilyfirst.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	9810

Jewel`s Photos

Take everything nice and slow, that includes food, attention, everything. She's coming home to stay so there is no need to hurry anything. Let her get to know your home and you at her pace. These dogs take a while to trust.

Our first pyr was rescued by friends of ours when she was about 4 months old. They found her wandering down the country road in front of their ranch covered in sores, fleas & ticks. They kept her for about 6 months until she started wandering off further and further each day. We took her when she was about 10 months old. She was very sweet and seemed to handled the rehoming well without any visible signs of stress but I could tell she didn't really bond with us until months down the road.