Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New owner to a Great Pyernees that was dumped

Hi everyone I could really use some help!! My name is Lisa, and I really need some help & advice on owning a Great Pyernees! 2 days ago a fairly young Great Pyrenees showed up at my house in S. Texas. He was dirty, matted, flea ridden, and extremely thin! I took him in, he had been roaming our rural neighborhood for several days, and our Nextdoor App had several posts about him. I gave him water, offered food, & brought him inside on the 1st day. Plus I searched all local pet and animal lost sites for anyone looking for him. Day 2 I continued to search, & my daughter and I bathed him, cut out the mats we found, treated his small owies he had, and I treated him for fleas. Today I took him to a vet in town to have him scanned for a chip and they completed his sad story for me. By a slim chance of luck, the very I took him to had already met him 2 times before just in the last month. They told me he is approx 1 year old and a full blooded Great Pyernees. The first time they met him an older man brought him in, and didn't want him anymore, he would not drive the short distance to the no kill shelter in the area, or contact a rescue group. The vet did not have the room to take him in, plus their policy is to direct people to the shelter. The man said he was either going to shoot or dump the dog, and left before they could stop him. The second time was when a woman brought him in to have him scanned for a chip. He had just shown up at her home, and she wanted to keep him. Sadly a few days later she called saying her other dogs did not like him and she couldn't keep him. She contacted a GP rescue, and they didn't have room, so she was going to take him to the no kill shelter...but he escaped and took off. I was his next long term stop. Anyway, I have fallen in love with him, I walk him several times a day, and play with him, and he is kept inside otherwise. He sleeps a lot, but the vet office did tell me in the last 3 weeks he has lost a lot of weight. He was fat when they initially saw him. Now you can see and count his ribs! I am making an appt to have him fixed tomorrow, and taking him to a vet clinic for shots on Sat! He just seems sad! He likes to be loved on and pet, he is excellently behaved inside, but he will bolt if not on a leash! He is finally eating, he didn't really eat the 1st 1-1/2 days. Is there anything I can do to bond more with him? He started really following me around today. Even attempted multiple times to climb in my recliner on top of me! He ended up spilling a drink and making a mess, but I firmly told him"NO". He kept passing at me and after 30 min of me saying No and blocking his paw... He stopped! Will he ever bond to us, since his 1st owner the one that dumped him, had him so long? I know they are loyal, loving, smart dogs...but will they switch loyalty after a year? Sorry for all the questions, but he is so sweet, and I want to give him the home he deserves. I'm feeling hard and fast!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome mrslisa...and thank you for trying to give this guy a secure & loving home...

my guess....is that he might have already started bonding to you...wanting your attention (with that Pyr paw...which is quite normal by the way) and wanting to be with you, following you.

you have already noticed...they are roamers which is why Pyr owners always say..."a Pyr off leash is a Dis-A-Pyr"!!
    so, if you don't have a fenced in yard, with his history of moving on...I would keep him on a leash

bonding....what I usually do with a new pup...and that is basically what he is because he has to learn the ways of your home & what is acceptable behavior & what is not....
    I sit on the floor, reading watching television...whatever....and let the pup come up to me...and let them lay by me, or even play with a toy if they want...but the pup has to make the move...which to me translates as wanting to be with you.

read up on Livestock Guarding Dogs...get to know why they were bred & you will begin to understand their nature & how to best communicate with them....my favorite book is..... Livestock Protection Dogs: Selection, Care and Training
    by Orysia Dawydiak & David Sims

keep us informed & let us know what you name him!

Nancy & Rudy

Thank You Nancy & Rudy!

Yes I have already noticed the constant shadow behind me, and I have already read a lot...but will definitely read what you suggested. We do not take him out without a leash, and although he isn't a fan, he does very well.

Right now it is his constant infatuation with my other dog that is about the size of a Beagle. He just will not leave him alone, and is either smelling all over him, or trying to mount him. I am hoping that will improve once I get him neutered. The pawing is hard to deal with because it sometimes hurts, and he will paw my computer, drink, plate...whatever trying to get me to hold his paw! LOL I will try your suggestion though, and sit on the floor with him. Just hoping he doesn't try to sit in my lap! LOL Last night he wanted in my recliner with me!!

Thanks for the reply and the great suggestions,
    Lisa

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Welcome and thank you for taking in this boy! He is very fortunate to have you watching out for him! He can definitely bond to a new family, it will just take some time and he will have to decide you are worthy of his trust. We rescued a 5-6 year old girl and I would say it took her quite a while to be 100% at home with us even though she was sweet and loving. She is a very sensitive girl and obviously needed extra time to gain the security that brought her out of her shell. A young dog will likely take less time than this. You'll want to make sure he isn't bothering your Beagle to the point that the Beagle gets aggressive. Your new boy may benefit from baby gates or other ways of keeping them separate and giving your Beagle some peace. Don't be surprised if he tries to sit in your lap... They think they are lap dogs! I usually just try to position myself so they can partly lie on me but not be crushing me. My male Kangal is the worst. At135lbs he outweighs me and is bony to boot! Ouch! These breeds do better with positive reinforcement and not negative. Try to think of ways you can redirect him when possible and not give negative feedback. This may mean treating him like a toddler and not having a drink with you in your recliner until he's learned it isn't an appropriate time for the "Pyr Paw". Leash walks are really good, as is grooming if he likes to be petted. I would let him settle in and as Nancy said, let him initiate contact. He doesn't know his massive paw hurts so put on the protective sweatshirt to ward off the scrapes until he learns. I'm not advocating letting him run the house but you don't want to be in a position of constantly giving negative feedback since it will hold him back in forming a trusting bond with you. Please keep us updated on how you do together!

Thank Y'all so much for your replies...I have thoroughly read each one and re-read them several times!!! LOL I have owned a lot of pups through the years...but this boy is a total new experience! I have always used positive reinforcement....but today he crossed a line and got a swat! I was pushing a box, and he jumped on me and tried to "hug" (as I have seen used) me! He scratched my back, and I didn't want him to think this was ok at all! I gave him one swat on the bottom and firmly said NO!!! I don't want to break his trust at all....but I also don't want to be assaulted by him, or have anyone else assaulted! Afterward I continued what I was doing and he followed me...but was appropriate, and he was whining. I think he knew he had messed up! He layed by my chair, when I sat down, and I praised him b/c we have worked on this! It will be 1 week tomorrow since I took this big baby in, I do totally love him, but his behaviors are coming out. Again I do have an appt for him to be fixed...actually I have 2!! LOL The first one I made through the Humane Society b/c they offer a discount, but it was going to be a month before they could get him in and fixed. So I called our regular Vet today, and they will get him in at the first of next week! I realize the hormones will not stop instantly...but at least it will hopefully help soon! This is the ONLY behavior we are having serious issues with! He does not bark, or tear things up, he makes very few messes, and the 2 he has made was b/c I didn't get him out soon enough! So I accept responsibility for those! He did have a breakthrough today....he actually went poo on our 1 long walk of the day!! First time he has done that on the leash!!! I praised him greatly, hahaha...he seemed very proud of himself!
    Again thank you for all of the advice, help, and info!!! Please keep them coming!!! I need all the help I can get to be successful at training my new BIG Baby!
    Last edited by mrslisa2u; 09-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Default After 1 week & 1 day with our new big puppy Trooper!!

He now knows to sit for his leash to be clipped on, and off! He has poo'd 2 times on the leash. Crotch sniffing is not as intense as it was, and he has not tried to "hug" me anymore! Our little dog took a stand, and it seems to have taught Trooper to back off a bit! It is so funny, b/c he IS just a puppy...but he is SO big!!! LOL He has to greet everyone with a big paw on them somewhere....and insists on being acknowledged!!! LOL He has come a long way I think in a week, and his manners are improving daily!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

This is great progress and I'm so happy to hear how well you are both doing! Sounds like Trooper is well on his way to learning what is expected of him. Chances are that he will calm down more as he understands your routine and how to respond. I've got a year old 94lb "puppy" right now... Her body is huge but she still has total puppy brain and it helps me to remember her maturity level when she has gotten into some new mischief!

Hi...thanks for your reply! I think he is doing really well. He isn't really playful! Hoping he will show a little more playfulness as time goes on! He doesn't look as sad as he did before...that was heartbreaking! He does have a ball to play with...he basically ignores it until 4-5am and he has been heard bounding about with it a couple of times! LOL No sleeping through that noise! He has settled into usually 4 good walks a day, and finally goes poo daily at the same time! Plus...no messes in the house since his 2nd day here! Right now he seems to have some allergy issues going on...his nose is dripping (it is clear, and not all the time. Usually after our walks!) I still need to get him fixed...we had a major expense we weren't expecting...so I have to push that back. Oh, and the flea meds I put on him have not worked very well. SO I need to get him on Brevecto (sp?) Like we have our other dog on! Again not in the budget right now...plus the other I gave him was only 2 weeks ago, and it says do not retreat for 30 days! He is still very skinny, and underweight...but he is gaining some! I have seen no sign's of worms either! Which is good! Oh...and for the first time on Sunday he found his BARK!!! Good Lord!!! That will scare someone away for sure!!! Usually he just whines, but if he sees someone outside (or one time a squirrel) he lets me know!!!

Thanks again for your reply- nick's spirit....funny story. I took him out the the pasture on his leash, to introduce him to my 2 horses! HE IS TERRIFIED of them!!! LOL So I got him out of there quickly...I figure we will work up to that!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

He is so handsome! Thank you for giving him the loving home that every dog deserves!

Chester, my non-Pyr is the one I call my “oops baby”. I was not looking to bring a second dog into my home at the time that he came to live with Sebastian and me, but somehow, it just happened. I got two estimates for his neuter that were in the $500-$700 range (definitely not in my budget), so I ended up using a low-cost clinic for his neuter and second round of shots. That brought the total down to somewhere in the $100 range for us, which was far more manageable.

As for flea meds, I had to switch both of mine to Nexgard when Frontline stopped working for us. I recently joined Costco, and am planning to get all of their preventatives from the Costco Pharmacy from now on. I did the math, and I will be saving a small fortune over buying them directly from the vet.

It sounds like you are making great progress with him! I am excited to hear more about your adventures with your handsome new family members!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian