Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Female puppy with uti

Hi, I have a 15 week old gp mix female that I adopted from our local shelter . She developed a UTI. The vet said that Maggie has an anomaly where her vulva is curled inward trapping urine and bacteria. She's been on amoxocillion for 2 weeks. She is started peeing every 15 to 20 minutes. Will she outgrow this issue? Is there anyway to correct this? I've been wiping her with unscented baby wipes after she pees. I've never had a female that was spayed at such a young age. I just want her to feel better. It's making housebreaking a challenge. Thank you

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

There is a surgical procedure for severe cases that costs around $2,000. It's a very simple procedure.
    If your dog (what's her name?) does not develop UTIs too often, wiping the area with medicated wipes should keep infections under control (assuming your dog has a mild case of vulva recession).

My dog was spayed when she was very young and I was afraid that she would develop the same problem.

Keep us updated.

Puppy (New Member)

Her name is Maggie. I'll have to ask the vet how severe it is. I just know that this 1st round of medicine hasn't cleared it up. She's back to peeing every 15 to 20 minutes and licking as soon as she pees.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Sorry that I missed your dog's name in the first post. I see now that you mentioned her name in your very first post.

It's possible that she might need cephalexin or clavamox. Or perhaps a different antibiotic. Just like people, dogs might not respond to some antibiotics. Since she has been on amoxicillin for two weeks and the infection is still present, your vet should use a swab to collect material from the vulva and do cell culture to see what type of bacteria is causing the UTI. This is a very common procedure. If your vet know what type of bacteria is causing the UTI, he/she will be able to put Maggie on a very specific antibiotic. I would visit the vet again. I'm expecting your vet to collect a sample and put Maggie on a different antibiotic. Keep cleaning her area with medicated wipes. That plus the right antibiotic should clear the infection sooner than later.

Once the infection has cleared up, you and your vet can focus on how sever her case of hypoplastic vulva is. On the bright side, older female dogs have a stronger immune system and they tend to have less UTI. Their bodies can fight infections more efficiently than during puppyhood.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

My now 3 year old had an inverted v***a that was causing UTIs when she was a pup. We were able to take her through her first heat and that reversed the inversion and she had no further issues. That being said, my current 11 month old has been having urinary issues for months. We finally had her spayed because our vet felt her incontinence could be hormonally related. Unfortunately, the problem recurred. Keeping her on antibiotics constantly was wreaking havoc on her GI system. We eventually came up with a protocol that seems to be helping her. She gets apple cider vinegar caps to acidify her urine, D-Mannose/Cranberry caps and an herbal Urinary support product. Since staring this protocol she's had no more issues. My 3 year old had a bout of incontinence around age two that also cleared up when we added apple cider vinegar caps to her diet. Our vet says she's seen multiple female dogs that are having urinary issues due to very basic urine Ph and the vinegar seems to alleviate the symptoms. A UTI is not to fool around with but both my girls did not have classic UTI problems. I hope your Maggie is feeling better soon!

Young Dawg (Member) Meatball Murphy's Avatar

I second what Antonia said. Molly had a UTI recessed vulva and vaginitus when we got her. I hit her system immediately with ACV, cranberry, and the bladder support. It takes quite some time to clear up, so the potty training is out the window for now. It won't happen until it's under control.
    As for keeping area clean.....
    I gave her a brazillian lmao. No seriously, I trimmed all her fur off down there and only wiped once or twice a day. As per my vets instruction because she got so irritated from the wiping.
    Anyway, persistence with the herbal, with antibiotics hopefully get rid of it. After, I would keep her on herbal bladder support and ACV. And keep cranberry on hand.
    Good luck hope she feels better.
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all for your advice. I'm glad I found this site. I'll keep you posted.

Puppy (New Member)

The vet gave me another 30 days of antibiotics and medicated wipes. I just want her to feel better soon.