Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Puppy with luxating patella

We have a 10 week old puppy that we brought home last friday. She is going to be a family dog but also look after our chickens.

Today for her wellness visit the vet determined that she has luxating patella on her back knees. She acts just fine no issues and I spoke with the breeder and when she was xrayed at 6 weeks there were no issues and she passed. Her parents are all clear so.....

We have the option to take her back and swap her but obviously there is the attachment issue at this point. My wife and I talked, were thinking of getting a second opinion.

Just looking for a non partisan opinion. Thanks in advance.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome & sorry to read this.....my first Pyr also had luxating patella on both rear knees. We noticed it when she was around 5 months old, and as you said...the attachment had already been made between us...

none of her other siblings ever had the patella issue

We did have the surgeries done on her, it was difficult to keep a rambunctious puppy calm, but she came through it all.

I am not sure if her surgeries had anything to do with her being a non roaming girl...but she was very trustworthy...never going off the acreage that we were on up in Alaska.

I am not sure of the surgery that is done today, as this was 30 years ago....you may have other options available to you....if you have a veterinary teaching college near you, you might want to ask them for an opinion...

Please keep us informed on the outcome

and your girls name is?

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    and your girls name is?

Nancy & Rudy
    Thank you.

Her name is Sofie and we took her in this afternoon to get a second opinion and it was confirmed. This vet believes its a grade three and there is a fifty percent chance that she would need the surgery; approximately 2k to 4k for both legs.

Same thing, all her siblings passed their second wellness and her parents and grandparents are all clean. Anonamlys happen so i don't' blame the breeder.

Were going to talk with the breeder and go from there. I want to make sure we do the right thing for her as much as we do for us. I have a 2 yo Vizsla and I am worried her playing could potentially make the issue worse. We also got her to be a LGD a we have chickens and maybe sheep in the future. They are great dogs.

Jewel`s Photos

If I were to be entirely logical and objective without emotion I would return the pup for a replacement pup. Keeping her would mean lots of medical expenses and the unknown of whether she could be fixed up completely. But I know that's hard now that you've had some time with her to let her go. It would be difficult to give her up and not know or be able to control what might happen to her.

Some breeders are fine with giving a replacement pup while letting the owner keep the original pup with physical issues. I don't know if you guys have the capacity to have another pup but it's an option that you can ask for. I would also ask point blank what the breeder would do if you were to return your pup.

If you do not want a replacement pup, you can ask the breeder for a refund. I know it's not easy to get a full refund in most cases, but I think you are entitled to it, or at least a partial refund because if you decide to keep her, you will come out of pocket a substantial sum for medical expenses.

Puppy (New Member)

We have decided to keep Sofie after a discussion with the breeder.

She gave us several options and said that her biggest concern was ensuring that we were happy. Sofie does have a health guarantee and if she was to show signs of lameness then she would provide us a new puppy and we would get to keep Sofie. She thinks its a high possibility that the vet is not familiar with the large breed as they are more rare by us, and in her 30 plus years never heard of a pup being diagnosed so young and all of her siblings and parents are clear. She said if Sofie was limping or holding he leg up she would be more worried and definitely does not want the vet to play with that area any more to make it worse.

The key thing is that Sofie was diagnosed by the vet when they checked her at her wellness visit and she has not shown any sign of having a problem while walking, running, or playing. No signs of any problems at all and she has the strength to climb our stone stairs, and go up the hill to visit the chicken run with me in the morning and night.

I am feeling better and we will make sure to ensure that we do the things to make sure that we don't' put any stress on the knees while she is growing. Give her good nutrition and etc.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I hope that Sofie continues to get stronger, with no indication of a patella problem....

when our Spirit was diagnosed, she was approximately 5 months old....and she definitely had a problem getting up from a resting position...kind of looked more like an old dog versus a puppy getting up.....also, when she ran, she kept her rear legs together, using them as one....a common gait called "bunny hopping"....Spirit never held her "leg up" or limped.....

you have a second opinion...from a vet....I know breeders have much knowledge, but they are not vets & do not have the tools to make a diagnosis (in my humble opinion)....just because this person has never has never experienced this issue, does not mean it doesn't happen. My thought....have Sofie carefully monitored by which ever vet you decide you can communicate best with...

keeping her at a good slow rate of growth & on the thinner size will also help

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you Nick's Spirit.

There is truth in what you say; as I learned a lot about dogs and vets when my lab was diagnosed with cancer. It has made me skeptical about vets in general. I recently had a situation where i took my vizsla in to get fixed and they did the blood work and said that she had a value that indicated that she might have cushing's even though all the symptoms he described she did not have. He didnt' want to spay her until he ruled it out first and to do so he had to do a specific test that was about $300 even though he said that the blood work could be wrong. I asked him why not run the blood work again if you think it is wrong but he didn't want to do that. I told him thank you but i will be taking her to a different vet. (we had jsut moved 6 months prior). The other vet did the same work up and my Vistla was just fine and i even asked specifically about that value.

I think we have found a good vet, but like you said we will monitor her, ensure a slow rate of growth, and keep her lean.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by zzsw7y View Post
    she might have cushing's even though all the symptoms he described she did not have.
    Oy, I had a vet that said that to me because my first pyr had some bruising around the suture site from major surgery... She had cancer, she didn't have Cushing's.

It is possible that Sophie's knees may turn out ok as she grows. A friend is a breeder and one of her pups was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 5-6 months. She also had not that issue in her line before that pup. When that pup matured they found no sign of the hip dysplasia.

It is sad that some vets do seem to use scare tactics to generate more $$.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    It is sad that some vets do seem to use scare tactics to generate more $$.
    Totally agree. I have heard other stories about this vet and feel way better that i walked away from them.

lattelove`s Photos

Of course I can't tell you how things will turn out with Sophie as she grows, but perhaps my story will make you feel a little better. Years ago, our beloved Corgi Stella was diagnosed by our vet with a luxating patella when she was about a year old. She WAS having symptoms (limping upon getting up after lying down for a while), but they were sporadic rather than constant. I don't remember him telling us a particular "grade." At our vet's recommendation, we chose to manage her symptoms by keeping her weight on the slim side, and by using an anti-inflammatory when she went through periods of limping. She lived to age 15, with her symptoms never progressing or becoming more frequent.

I know that every case is different, and that our Stella was a completely different breed, but I thought this story might give you some hope that Sophie could live a long, healthy life. Hopefully she will never need that surgery!