Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default What should I look for in a groomer?

I would like to have Latte professionally groomed (first time). There are several groomers around here who are highly recommended by dog owners. Do I need to find someone who has experience with this breed? Latte is a Great Pyr mix, but she does have a pretty thick, wavy coat (it perhaps won't ever be as full as a full-bred Pyr). Are there any questions I should ask to help me select the right groomer for her? What should I expect to pay?

Also, how often do you have your dogs' nails trimmed? Latte used to let me trim hers, but she has decided she will have no more of that, so I will have to start bringing her to someone. Do you let the groomer do it? The vet?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Will "bump" this so that Tsuni can best answer your questions

I am still able to trim all dog toe nails, which I do every 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes a vet tech will do them for you either at the office or at your home...depending on the situation....and groomers usually are very experienced as well

lattelove`s Photos

Default Thanks for bumping!

I did remember that there is someone on this forum who is a groomer, but I couldn't remember who. This is the first time I have had a breed that needed anything more than bathing and brushing by me, so I have no experience with groomers and don't know what to ask for. Do I tell them what I want them to do (and if so, what would that be?), or should they know what to do with her?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Okay so this is going to be rough because I can only post from my phone. That's why I haven't been on in months.

What I tell people is to go to the groomer with the dog in hand and introduce yourself and Latte to the groomer you are thinking about picking. By doing this you are seeing how Latte interacts with the groomer and vice versa. I personally like to go and sit on a bench in my lobby and talk to the owner as I attempt to get the dog to willingly walk up to me so I can pet it. You don't want a groomer whose too busy to greet your dog. A good groomer is evaluating the dog as they pet them. They are feeling the coat for mats, undercoat, lumps, bumps, bugs and to see how your dog handles being handled. Most owners don't do lump and bump checks. As a groomer I make that my job so I can tell them Fluffy has a lump on her leg and I am concerned. Or my most recent case was Rags isn't acting right. She refuses to put any weight on one leg. I am worried that her foot or leg is broken. Sure enough I was right her Aussie sibling stepped on her and her foot was broken.

When you do decide on a groomer you have to be specific. If you say I want Latte short they hear shave. So you want to say "I would like Latte to brushed, sanitized clipped, feet round and shaped up around the feathers and under belly." Your directions are clear and precise. There is no chance of a miscommunication there. As far as pricing that varies from area to area. I charge about $60 for what I described but, a friend of mine charges $80-90 for the same thing. I tend to cut breaks because I own a large dog. She owns Poodles so her Poodle prices are lower then mine usually.

As far as how often to get it done that depends on you. Nails should be clipped at least once a month but, the full grooming process can be pushed out anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months if you brush her at home. Remember the more often you bring her in the easier it is on the groomer and Latte. She needs to form a relationship with the groomer. When you find a good groomer stick with them. If there are multiples in that shop make sure you ask for the same person every single time because each one of us grooms differently.

You are Latte's voice. If you get a bad vibe from that groomer then don't go there, find someone else. Trust your gut on that one. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the grooming business for the wrong reason and you don't want one of them grooming Latte.

lattelove`s Photos

Thank you for your reply, Tsunibear! This is what I needed to know.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

No problem.

lattelove`s Photos

I asked for groomer recommendations from other dog owners, and WOW...there is a big difference in prices here! I live in a suburb of Houston, and the recommended groomers closest to my neighborhood told me their prices start at $75 and go up to $120, but they would give me a better price quote once they saw my dog. About $10-15 for nail clipping only.

A groomer a little farther out quoted me $65 for a groom, and $8 for nail clipping only.