Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Puppy- from left for dead to happy home

We just adopted Lucy yesterday. Our town is mostly open countryside, so it has become a dumping ground for unwanted pets. This little girl was tossed over someone's fence the night before last.

We got her home yesterday and spent the next 5 hours cleaning and getting rid of ticks and fleas. I pulled 39 ticks off of her yesterday, and the vet pulled a few more that he found today.

I had never seen so many fleas on an animal! It took hours of washing, combing, and picking to get them off of her last night.

Fast forward to today- our vet says she is about 8 weeks old. She is a bit malnourished and weighs in at 6.3lbs. He did a fecal and found tapeworms. He gave her a dose of dewormer and gave us the second dose to give her next week. Also got some tick meds and trifexis.

Overall, he is pretty certain that she will pull through just fine, but warned us it would take her a while to warm up to us and come out of her shell. Her face and head were covered in bruises and a few cuts from having been beaten before being abandoned...

Here she is after the vet today. Still pretty shy, but starting to play by herself with toys. We're keeping the kennel door open for her, and she's caught on that if she gets overwhelmed or just needs some alone time she can go in and be left alone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1534543306600.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	9798

Jewel`s Photos

She is a cutie! Thank you for giving her a home!

sigh... how does one literally throw away a tiny helpless living creature like trash... Some humans are beyond despicable...

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    She is a cutie! Thank you for giving her a home!

sigh... how does one literally throw away a tiny helpless living creature like trash... Some humans are beyond despicable...
    Blows me away that someone could do that. We're in Alvarado, just south of Fort Worth. People seem to think the first bit of open country outside the city is prime for dumping animals...

She is adjusting well though. She still won't approach people, but if I come to her she wants to snuggle. So far her favorite thing is to bury her face in my beard when I hold her.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Reed...thank you soooo much for rescuing this little girl....did you name her yet?

In regards to her approaching you (and I don't think I'd work on socialization just yet)...I would sit on the floor, ignore her, let her come to you....my guess is that with your patience, calmness and gentleness she will blossom into a very loving & trusting girl

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

What a beautiful baby! Thank you for giving her a home and the love she deserves. We get quite a few pups dumped out our way too... Impossible to understand the mind that can do these things!

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Reed...thank you soooo much for rescuing this little girl....did you name her yet?

In regards to her approaching you (and I don't think I'd work on socialization just yet)...I would sit on the floor, ignore her, let her come to you....my guess is that with your patience, calmness and gentleness she will blossom into a very loving & trusting girl

Nancy & Rudy
    We named her Lucy.

She has already attached herself to our youngest (8 yr old) daughter. She's been following her around the house non stop.

I'm amazed at how quickly she is adjusting.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Thank you so much for adopting this beautiful little girl. She looks very much like our Sir Moose would have looked as a puppy. He was 7 when we adopted him 4 years ago. He was originally found stealing food from a salad bar at one of the open air cafes on the River Walk in San Antonio How he ended up there is anyone's guess.

my husband was a cross country trucker for 42 years and he was always hear broken when he was 20 miles from any town, building, anything, and would see one or two dogs on the side of the road. There would not be a house within 10 mor more miles, especially like in New Mexico, Arizona, eater California, Wyoming, Montana, etc. These dogs didn't even have a chance of being rescued. He couldn't understand it. We have always done everything in our power to keep our dogs healthy, happy, safe and for as long as they lived, and hee these poor dogs were just dumped, left ot starve for lack of water and food. Or get run over by cars. So sad.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ReedTX View Post
    She has already attached herself to our youngest (8 yr old) daughter. She's been following her around the house non stop.
    That's awesome! At her age, Lucy needs the guidance, companionship, and protection. She's figuring out she's found herself a family that will give her all that. She's a lucky girl.

Pathetic what humans are capable of, but nevertheless, she found your home. Zeke and his 2 sisters were dumped as newborns, and were lucky enough to be found and taken to the right foster parents and ultimately we ended up with him. Keep the pictures coming and good luck!!

Puppy (New Member)

Lucy is finally starting to do normal puppy things- chew on everything she finds, play, and bark at random objects.

The vet approximated her at 8 weeks last Friday, but I think she is younger.

I'm worried that she is a bit small. She weighed 6.3lbs at the vet, and now is at right about 9lbs.