Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Default Dis-a-pyr is not just a joke!

I just want to share a video this is my Zech every morning just about rushing out the warehouse door in the morning.
    The area is completely enclosed and he has no chance of getting out or away
    BUT
    We call this out of the Gate He is just like a racehorse..

It is less than ten seconds for him to be so far away
    He is THAT FAST - that is why off leash or just loose is never a good idea for these guys
    He could be so far away in 30 seconds that he could be lost.
    There are rabbits out there some mornings and He likes those the best LOLOL

Keep your babies safe and enclosed or on leash..... I know My world would collapse if something happened to him I could have prevented.

https://youtu.be/JZhZYE21Rsk

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Rudy does the exact same thing after he has decided he is done being inside....tho he goes off barking as well

We just had an incident here in Walla Walla, where a couple was checking into their hotel & somehow their GP/Anatolian got let out of the car...and he was off!!! they searched all day Saturday....slept in the car that night hoping he would find his way back...had to go back to their home on Sunday, but the rest of the community continued to search for "Moose"...she came back Monday & continued the search....it did end on Tuesday with him being found, in good shape...but being so happy to be with his "Mom" again.
    yes....he did have a collar on, with phone numbers & he was chipped....however...he did not like being approached by people he wasn't familiar with....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

[QUOTE=Zech's Mom;102655]I just want to share a video this is my Zech every morning just about rushing out the warehouse door in the morning.
    The area is completely enclosed and he has no chance of getting out or away
    BUT
    We call this out of the Gate He is just like a racehorse..

It is less than ten seconds for him to be so far away …
    He is THAT FAST [QUOTE]

This happened to me twice during the time I was living on a farm in Central Texas a couple of years ago. This was during Casey's juvenile delinquent phase; the first time he was not off leash but spied a rabbit in the pasture and took off "like a racehorse." He was so strong I couldn't hold him. The second time he was running in a pasture and the gate was open a little bit (my fault), and I've NEVER seen a dog run that fast!

Looking back, it seems funny to think of a too-old-to-be-a-sprinter-or-distance runner little woman trying to catch that dog! Long story short, I took the car into the subdivision behind the farm; two farmhands took off on a 4-wheeler, and they found him walking back to the farm. There was a highway about a quarter-mile away, and horrible images were running through my head. When I saw him safe and sound, I forgot how mad I was and hugged him tight. He has never and WILL never be off-leash again when outside the house. Now he does the same thing when I open the door into the backyard!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Zech's Mom View Post
    Dis-a-pyr is not just a joke
    Really??!! Does it have to do with sucky recall?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfxvKZhGPpk

For the record, Bro, the one what came back up to me, was 1/2 pyr and 1/2 retriever/aussie. Clearly his personality was more of that non-pyr side...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Nancy I can Just see/hear Rudy racing & barking LOL If Zech did that between the buildings with his voice it would echo for BLOCKS - hope he doesn't start that up... GRIN So Glad Moose was found and is back with his mom. I couldn't imagine how awful those couple days were for them.

Casey's Mom That had to be a horrible feeling to just have him pull away with a leash even... I don't think I could keep Zech in hand if he took off full power. He bolted out the front door at a squirrel and the front is fenced but the gate is left open a lot by the mailman etc.. He could have bolted straight across the busy street. It cab happen so fast and he is so good so much of the time it is too easy to take it for granted.

OMGosh Jewel I just laughed so hard... My Shiba is the same though... I am used to the public embarrassment of trying to recall her... she looks at me and goes off and pees and just ignores me - she's 12... and enjoys her selective hearing skills

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

What is wrong with our Sir Moose? He can be in the back yard carrying on a "conversation" with dogs on either side or behind us--or next block--and we just have to call him name once and he comes straight in....tho he does' have to give one last bark as he walks in the door. Also, we can have our front door--and no screen door--wide open and he will stand back several feet and look out for a couple of minute, then go on about his business. We DO NOT have it open unless we are right there, Only time he goes to the door is when he knows it is time for his morning walk ("Daddy" puts on shoes, cap and get his cane) and when we opened the front door after the door bell rings. He doesn't even to when someone rings the bell or knocks...unless we go to the door. He will look at it, but not bark nor go to it. Probably 99 times out 100 he comes at first call of his name---unless he is in the woodpike, tearing it apart, after a possum. He doesn't seem to hear us then. Actaully it seems rather odd that he doesn't bark at the door bell rining nor someone knocking, but does if an acorn falls on the roof, or he hears a squirrel running acorss it from the live oak in front, acorss the roof, to lvie oak in back.
    Jerry and Moose