Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default Does anyone else's dog refuse to "potty" while on a leash?

Latte absolutely WILL NOT go potty while being walked on a leash. There are times when this is a problem, like today after I had bathed her and didn't want her to roll around in the mud puddles created in our backyard after 2 days of rain. I took her for a walk, hoping she would go so I wouldn't have to let her loose in the backyard to get filthy. No luck. It doesn't matter if I walk her around in our own backyard, the park, or in the neighborhood. Does anyone else's pyr do this?

Grizz`s Photos

I have the opposite problem! Grizz refuses to just go out in the backyard at all. Which isn't too big of a deal but when it's raining and he can't get his precious paws wet it becomes a pain. He won't go for a walk and since he won't go potty in the backyard he just holds it. There is a gazebo in the backyard that offers coverage from the rain so he COULD go, just chooses not to.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

yes, our girl Holly, would not go if she was on a leash.....however, this was only a problem when we were traveling... I tried longer leashes, lighter weight leashes...then finally just trying to find a spot where I could safely let her off the leash, let her do her thing and then put her back on a leash

as far as not getting dirty in her own back yard.....might just have to invest in more towels!

Young Dawg (Member)

Our 16-week old puppy would not go outside the yard for the first several weeks that we've had her. Now she will urinate outside the yard, but she's only pooped once, when she couldn't hold it any longer. If they absolutely have to go, they will. The behavior of not going outside the yard is baby protective behavior. In the wild, predators will find the babies by finding their scent and tracking them back to the den. They outgrow it.

Road Dawg

Lacey won't go potty on a leash and definitely not anywhere except on her property.

Road Dawg

Yes! Max will only go in his back yard. When we first got him he would go in the front yard, but now at 6 months he has decided even that is a no go. He loves to sniff the potty area outside his training class, but has never used it. We are generally not away from home more than a couple of hours with him, but I do wonder how a road trip would go with this issue!

Puppy (New Member)

My Shelby is almost 4 months old and she is great about going potty and poop on a leash. I started the day I got her.
    Life is a highway with a big exit at the end.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I had one dog that would, and one that would not. My Pyr would, he was a very confident dog. My border collie/aussie mix would only poop in the back yard. I think most of the time it is a confidence thing. Roxy was very submissive, frightened of strangers and anxious. Pooping is a vulnerable act for a dog. Sometimes when a dog is pooping they will look to their human, or even another dog. This is to ensure that someone is watching their back. Or it is a theory anyway. Seems reasonable to me, and I do not recall now where I read it.

Young Dawg (Member)

Addendum: Puppy is now almost 18 weeks old, and regularly eliminates during our daily walks. Still won't at the community doggie potty before and after obedience class.