Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Worried about leaving Pyr for a vacation

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have experience with anxious dogs. Lacey is 3.5 years old and has a fear of people. She is on medication and we do socialization walks with a dog and all has helped in her fear of people. At least she doesn't panic as much as she used to. She still doesn't let anyone pet her beyond her humans, but she doesn't jump and spin. She's still afraid of people who come on the property, although sometimes it is relatively ok. She saw a vehicle she didn't recognize in the yard and she sat beside me on the couch and trembled for about 20 minutes.

She is a mommy's girl and really just tolerates my brother, with whom I share a house. He gives her lunch and tries to get her to go outside while I'm at work, but she usually just sleeps all day and ignores him. They both need to give a little to their relationship and I think it is coming very slowy.

I want to go to Ireland for a week in October and I've made all the bookings (all can be cancelled). I am so concerned about leaving her. Will she have a set back? Will she develop separation anxiety (she had some when for the first few months after I got her, but has been ok since then)? Any thoughts of what I may come home to after the trip? I don't want to create any issues for her as a vacation isn't absolutely necessary and she is more important. The funny part is that I am going to Ireland to see the Supervet on his live tour. Really inspired by his work and his guiding principles around human and animal medicine. Would love to meet him, but at least being at the show in a good seat will have to be the next best thing. It is also a birthday gift to myself.

I used to travel when I had my last Pyr, but he was fine with everything and got along really well with my brother. Cody would be upset for the first couple of days and then he would be fine. I usually went away for 2 weeks and that was fine. With Lacey, it just isn't the same. I haven't gone anywhere in the nearly 4 years I've had her. I love her so much and restrict my activities to meet her needs - I wish it wasn't this way, but I could never give her up.

Any advice is appreciated!

Christine

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christinecvs View Post
    Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have experience with anxious dogs. Lacey is 3.5 years old and has a fear of people. She is on medication and we do socialization walks with a dog and all has helped in her fear of people. At least she doesn't panic as much as she used to. She still doesn't let anyone pet her beyond her humans, but she doesn't jump and spin. She's still afraid of people who come on the property, although sometimes it is relatively ok. She saw a vehicle she didn't recognize in the yard and she sat beside me on the couch and trembled for about 20 minutes.

She is a mommy's girl and really just tolerates my brother, with whom I share a house. He gives her lunch and tries to get her to go outside while I'm at work, but she usually just sleeps all day and ignores him. They both need to give a little to their relationship and I think it is coming very slowy.

I want to go to Ireland for a week in October and I've made all the bookings (all can be cancelled). I am so concerned about leaving her. Will she have a set back? Will she develop separation anxiety (she had some when for the first few months after I got her, but has been ok since then)? Any thoughts of what I may come home to after the trip? I don't want to create any issues for her as a vacation isn't absolutely necessary and she is more important. The funny part is that I am going to Ireland to see the Supervet on his live tour. Really inspired by his work and his guiding principles around human and animal medicine. Would love to meet him, but at least being at the show in a good seat will have to be the next best thing. It is also a birthday gift to myself.

I used to travel when I had my last Pyr, but he was fine with everything and got along really well with my brother. Cody would be upset for the first couple of days and then he would be fine. I usually went away for 2 weeks and that was fine. With Lacey, it just isn't the same. I haven't gone anywhere in the nearly 4 years I've had her. I love her so much and restrict my activities to meet her needs - I wish it wasn't this way, but I could never give her up.

Any advice is appreciated!

Christine
    Hi Christine,

I am sorry to hear about Lacey's anxiety problems. I've never had a dog with separation anxiety issues, but if you don't mind, I can tell you what happed to my mom last week when she was on vacation. You're not alone.

My parents have a dog that is 14 years old. They live in Spain. When my parents go on vacation, my sister usually watches the dog, Beltza. He is very afraid of people. After months and months of planning, seeing the dog care facilities, taking Beltza there for walks, meeting the owners, etc... my mom decided to leave the dog there for a week. We all thought Beltza was going to be fine because he was getting less and less anxious every time my mom took him to the dog care to meet the people that work there and play with other dogs.

My mom wasn't 100% sure that Beltza was going to be okay, so she had a back up plan (let my grandpa know that he might need to go to the dog care to pick Beltza up if something was wrong).

Well, after three days, my mom had to ask my grandpa to take the dog because he had not eaten anything in 3 days and was very lethargic. When Beltza saw my grandpa he became so happy. The next 4 days, the dog was at my grandpas eating and being playful as usual.

So, I don't know how I feel about your case, Christine. Sebastian Mom should be able to give you some useful advice. I wish I was more helpful!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

But the fact that Lacey is okay with your brother, is making me think that she might be okay with you being away for a week. It's hard to predict how a god is going to react, but knowing that she gets along with your brother and they can co-exist, is a good thing. Does Lacey eat when she's with your brother?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Christine.....our Holly was like your Lacey....Holly was on medication...but did not need others petting her or even giving her treats.

I am inclined to think that the fact she lives with your brother & accepts his presence, going away for a week would probably be a good thing for both of them....she would learn to depend on him...as long as he doesn't cross whatever boundaries she has set in her mind.

Our Holly had one advantage....her "sister" Angel the Aussie....Holly knew everything was alright as long as Angel was around.

Try leaving her with your brother for longer periods (can you go away for 24-36 hours...over night? ) see how she does....
    Very important for you to be relaxed.....can't emphasize this enough...she will pick up on your anxiety...be calm...just as if you were going to work.

Let us know how that lecture is!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Chester is my anxious boy. You may remember me talking in the past about his SA, which went through a period so severe my vet had to sit me down for the “quality of life” discussion.

I am getting ready to go out of town right now. The boys’ Uncle K is coming to our house to stay with him. TBH, the boys can’t wait for me to leave, because Uncle K is waaaaaaaaaay more fun than I am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21A59BC2-73F4-48C9-A461-0F17C0AD7C01.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	9793

This was yesterday morning. Sebastian was wondering why I wasn’t gone, yet, while Chester was super excited to know that he was going to get to play with his favorite Uncle, soon.

Part of what helps Chester thrive when Uncle K comes to stay is that Uncle K keeps them on as much of a normal routine as possible. Chester knows exactly what is going to happen, and when.

I agree with Nancy about trying to set up some “practice nights” away from home. I would be sure to pack a suitcase each time so that her anxiety isn’t triggered by the suitcase when you pack in October. During these practice runs, I would encourage your brother to try and give her special treats of some sort - canned food, meat scraps with her kibble, doggie ice cream, anything super-high-value that she doesn’t normally get. You want her to associate good things happening with just your brother being around.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Sebastians Mom....I was just thinking about the "high" quality treats...thank you!

We recently went on a 2 week vacation....we have our 1 Pyr & 2 Aussies...none of which have SA....tho Rudy the Pyr has some grumbling issues.....fast forward....they love their puppy sitter like Sebastian & Chester.....because when he is here they get to have wet dog food in their kibble!!! Rudy gets a tablespoon, the other 2 get a teaspoon each....and they seem to really enjoy that...

So if Lacey doesn't have a sensitive stomach, you might want to try the high quality treat

Road Dawg

Thanks for all of the advice. I did have a chuckle about offering high quality/value treats. She is such a picky eater that everything is essentially high value to her. I'd have to hold some of her favourites back before the trip, which I could try. I can then leave the pre-cooked items for my brother to give her, along with some of her other normal foods. So maybe she'll be mad at me before I go and will be glad I went as she would be getting the good things back .

She is very spoiled, but since she is not very interested in food, I do whatever I can to get her to eat. I have tried with the thought that if she is hungry enough, she'll eat. Nope - normal dog food and biscuits can be left out for more than a day and she'll completely ignore them. Add in roast chicken, grilled salmon, steak, prosciutto, etc. and she'll eat most of it. If I give her leftovers for more than 2 days in a row, she won't eat it. I don't think there is any more unique breed than a Pyr. They just need to come with a warning label - but one look into her eyes and I know I would do anything for her.

Christine

Road Dawg

As a thanks for all of your suggestions, I'm want to let you know that Lacey and I both survived my trip to Ireland. Lacey was really good for my brother, except for taking her pills. He had to resort to throwing them down her throat, but she doesn't show any resentment. For such an anxious Pyr, she takes things very well. I arranged for play dates for her, where the dog walker brought her lab friend over on 3 of the days I was away. Lacey even ate her supper each day. He found that she loved cooked macaroni with ground beef on top of her kibble. As someone suggested, it was good bonding time for my brother and Lacey.

The reason I went to Ireland was to see the Supervet show. Dr. Noel Fitzpatrick is doing a tour of the UK to provide a history of how his practice and innovative work came to be. He highlighted the bonds between animals and their families, and how animals bring out the best in us. He started the show by asking everyone in the audience to look to their left and their right and recognize that everyone in the theater has to be a good person as they must love animals to be there! It was truly an inspirational evening, with laughter and tears, as he told his story and the story of some of the animals he has treated. Most of all, he showed the importance of integrating human and animal medicine. Dublin was a great place to visit, and Noel Fitzpatrick made it that much better, along with the couple of thousand people that were at the show!

I am so glad I went and glad that Lacey did fine without me!

Christine

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip, and that Lacey did so well with your brother while you were gone!

Go team Lacey and Christine!!!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

I am glad that Lacey proved to you that she can adjust....and I'm glad that you took your trip, sounds wonderful!