Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Exclamation Hot spot trouble! Please help!

I have a 4 year old Great Pyrenees female. I live in the south where it's been pretty hot lately, but she spends most of her time in the house enjoying the air conditioning. She gets walked frequently and has access to a fenced in back yard. I recently started her on flea medicine. I bathe her weekly and blow-dry her until she's completely dry. I feed her Purina One True Instinct (venison blend)… I don't know what I'm doing wrong Every time a hot spot heals another one appears. She has been wearing the cone of shame when no one is able to supervise for the past month, but she has just figured out she can reach her tail around the cone. Now she has a fresh wound on her tail and 4 other healing hot spots. I have noticed tiny red spots no bigger than 1cm generalized over her skin when I'm blow drying her, I'm not sure what's causing it. If it's an allergic reaction I have no earthly idea what it could be. The food she eats has been the same for the past year and her hot spots have just recently popped up over the past month. I haven't seen fleas on her when I wash her, but I know one of my cats has fleas. I'm getting so frustrated with her chewing, I know she's miserable and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. Help?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luna.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	9780

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

what i have used in the past is benadryl, 1 pill every 4 to 8 hours and cortizone-10 spray for the spot. i would talk to your vet prior. but this is what mine recommended. it could also be environmental reason for hot spot also. my first dog seemed to get them when pine pollen was present. best of luck.

patrick

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

The dreaded hot spot. Golden Retrievers seem to have a bad time with them--I had goldens for 25 years. My girl KayCee was allergic to pine and live oak pollen and we are surrounded by both. She also was allergic to fleas and Bermuda grass. She would get nasty hot spots several times a year. At first I was taking her to the vet every time and he finally told me to stop wasting my money. Clip her fur back where none would stick to the spot, scrub with hydrogen peroxide, let it dry and then sprinkled with Gold Bond Powder (yellow can). The thing is the spot has to be kept dry and no fur stuck to it to keep it moist and oozy under the fur. Also, Benedryl. One cap for each 25 pounds. She was 75 pounds and I would give her 2, tho she could have 3. Also, the cone. IF I could keep her litter mate brother, Hunter, from licking a face wound, she healed up nicely. And strange thing, after she was older, the hot spots came less often.,

Hunter had about one or two a yer until his death at 4 yrs. 2 months due to reaction to ProHeart6 injection. Never knew what set his off. His treatment was the same as KayCee's. Buck only ever had them 2 times in his 12 yers, same treatment. This subject comes up very often on the golden retriever forum I belong to, and one thing all ofus on there have in our "doggy first aid kit" is the Gold Bond powder.None of my other 3 goldens nor either of my Pyrs ever had a hot spot. Good luck.
    Jerry and Moose

I have a litter of 4 week old Great Pyrenees puppies. At least half of the litter is getting the hot spot filled with fleas. They do nurse at least once a day. The mom also has recently broke out in hot spots and it starting to chew on herself. The pups fleas are at the back of their neck. The mom had 11 puppies that survived. How do we kill these fleas without hurting babies or mom.
    Last edited by judysandman; 09-08-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Help needed for my puppies & mom

Puppy (New Member)

I am afraid I have become a reluctant expert in this area. We have a 10 year old Greay Pyr that we got when she was a year old. We have been battling skin/yeast infections for most of her life, but they have gotten much worse in the last three years. I cannot tell you how many vet visits we have had, or how much money we have spent, basically to no avail. The best I have come to hope for is to keep her outbreaks under control. I have taken her to both a conventional vet and a holistic vet. I have given her antibiotics and steroids; supplements and Chinese herbs. I have fed her nothing but a home cooked diet. Hereís what I have learned through this journey:

1. Diet is extremely important! No kibble, EVER!! I donít care what brand it is or who makes it. Food sensitivities area a major factor, and the truth is the extrusion process in manufacturing kibble renders the original food nutrients virtually worthless. I currently feed her a grain-free dehydrated beef recipe or a dehydrated vegetable base mix to which I add organic ground beef. I was so desperate to find a cure for her that at one point I cooked a beef-based ďstewĒ for her every week. I got great results(along with both traditional Veterniary medicines and herbal supplements), but unless you are a millionaire itís really not feasible. Plus the recipe took four hours to cook, so thereís that.

2. No commercial treats. Ever. No exceptions. I give mine organic string cheese for a daily treat, and raw beef bones once a week.

3. I treat her outbreaks with a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water twice daily. I mix it in a bottle and either spray the area, or if itís too large an area, I just pour the mixture on and rub it into her skin. I follow that up with a hydrocortisone spray available at any pet store. I get mine at Petco. I just recently read on this forum about success others have had using grapefruit seed extract so I ordered some today. Weíll see how that works for us.

Bottom line is, this has been a constant battle for us. I canít bear to see her suffer, so I am nuts about staying on top of it. Is it bacterial? Fungal? Or a combination of both? Iíve never gotten a definitive answer. Could be environmental or a food based allergy Could be both. All I know is it seems to be worse in the summer months, Iím sure the heat is some sort of trigger. Good luck to you and your Great Pyr. Other than this skin issue, they are the best dogs in the world!

Thank you for your foresight. I am currently using Dawn Dish Soap to treat the hot spots. I bathe the puppies and let them play in the tub for 10 minutes. It is easy when they have a sibling to bathe with. The hot spot itself I rub dawn soap directly on it and leave it on the puppy. Then I use a fine tooth comb for the fleas after they get brushed. The hot spots aren't as frequent.

Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Our beloved Benny Good boy is almost 10 yrs old....tried EVERYTHING over the years. I'm pressed for time so briefly...
    Cut hair away a little past wound....spray with Meso brand colloidal silver...do not saturate....sprinkle on generous amountof neo pre defpowder....I used to apply gauze pad over it but don't have to anymore....he has learned to "no lick the boo boo"...that
    clears it up within 3 days, sometimes sooner. I also give him benydryl while healing. This has worked wonders for us...they are smart dogs,,,he has learned to stay perfectly still while he gets his treatment.