Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default How to be hair free?

Kit is spayed but that didn't slow her shedding down too much in the florida summer. I have done several things:
    1. Furminator deshedding shampoo
    2. daily brushing and using the double rake
    3. baths every four weeks
    4. grain free and raw diet.
    5. Shed defender dog leotard (only sometimes when it is really bad) but yes she will shed right throught that.

My previous Maremma would stop shedding after I brush her continuously for an hour. Kit will still keep shedding. I was wondering if there is some kind of secret that I dont know about. I've been to people who have goldens or GSD and they can usually control the shedding with bathing and frequent grooming. I've searched amazon reviews and my experience isn't the standard. Am I missing somthing? Perhaps my expectations are misplaced and the shedding never stops?

Kit sheded a new dog yesterday! haha!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9873.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	9777

Road Dawg

I have no real tips or tricks for you as Iím waiting for Judges full adult coat still. Just wanted to say I feel for you! I think we all expect the shedding that comes with certain breeds but I donít think anything ever prepares you for it lol.

Iím wondering if Kitís shedding is just specific to her genetics. I know a breeder that had one line of Golden Retrievers that seemed to shed quite a bit (adults she started with & the puppies she produced)and when she brought in new blood (stud) from another breeder she noticed that he shed half the amount as her line. She also mentioned that the puppies produced from this stud seemed to shed less as well. Not sure how true this is but food for thought perhaps?

snow0160`s Photos

Kholts, your post is super helpful and definitely exactly what I've experienced. I hope tht maybe as she gets older and reaches full maturity the shedding will decrease a bit.

Jewel`s Photos

I definitely believe that there could be coat differences in different lines. But it could very well be a individual dog thing as well.

I've no brilliant ideas to offer. Ren carries a pretty good coat but I wouldn't say that he sheds excessively. But then we've had pyrs for nearly 20 years so maybe I am just desensitized... I usually run a pin brush over him a couple times a week and about once a month I comb him to strip out undercoat. I usually strip out about the same amount as in your pic. I don't use the rake much on him because I find the rake useful only when the dog is blowing coat. When the dog is not actively blowing coat, the rake doesn't do much. For me the comb is most useful for Ren. That was the same case with Ren's aunt, Bijou, as well.

snow0160`s Photos

I raked her three days in a row for an hour and I've found that reduced the shedding substantially. Question: Is the rake suppose to be used until there is no more hair falling out? I would brush her with a slicker brush and there is no more hair coming out but I've never achieved that with a rake. It feels like the rake will pull out the undercoat perpetually until there aren't any left.

You guys are very correct about different lines being different. I think Sahara was from a working line and they tend to have less undercoat. Kit has a dense undercoat and maybe I just have to come to terms with the idea I will have hair on my clothing no matter what do.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

If it’s any consolation, I am up to my eyeballs in dog hair (and other things) right now. Sebastian is blowing his coat, and Chester has been pretty sick with GI issues. Between the hair and the bodily fluids, my carpet is horrific. Chester threw up and had diarrhea in his crate on Thursday, so as soon as I got home, both dogs went out back to get bathed in the garden hose (they were the opposite of pleased). This made Sebastian shed even more. I had to bring them to work with me yesterday, as Chester was too sick to leave at home, and we had a vet appointment, and in just the few hours that we were there, the hallway to my office had a pretty steady line of Sebastian hair along the baseboards.

Oh, yeah, after the hose bath, Sebastian immediately ran inside and started drying himself by rolling around on the couch . It is now covered in a thin, fuzzy film of long white hair.

It’s like the mail. It never stops.

Truthfully, though, I’ll take the hair over what has been coming out of Chester any day. We still have no idea what is wrong with him, and after our visit yesterday, which is a topic for another thread, I am changing vets.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Snow, Isn't "hair free" in connection with these dogs an oxymoron?! With Ru sick inside the last week, there is more fur flying about the house than ever before. We have long tiled hallways and there are armies of furballs marching up and down the length no matter how often we vacuum. Last night as I climbed into bed I noticed that my sheets have a nice coating of fur inside although Ru has not been in the bed! All I can say is, thank God I'm not allergic to dogs! You know you are in trouble when friends start gifting you special fur rollers to fit in your pocket...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I have to say, I am not a fan of all of these dogs being sick!

My grandmother passed away last fall, and when she was alive, she had quite the keen eye for detail, which is putting it very nicely. I was terrified of showing up to her visitation and funeral - in black - with even one dog hair on me.

This thing saved the day:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Fur...082951169&th=1

I covered my car seats in towels, and put one of these in my purse, and when I arrived at the funeral home, had my Mom give me a final once over (after the several I did at home before leaving). Iím not sure my grandmother would have been proud, but she certainly would not have been horrified. I probably had a hair or two out of place, but they werenít Sebastianís.

I love the one they make for carpeted floors, too.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

At my grooming spa we used a combination of the undercoat rake (love the paws pamper version) and comb or slicker brush which made a drastic difference. The key is to remove the loose dead hair before it sheds all over your house, clothes, etc. so doing it a few times a week would work best even if for 15 minutes or so. Also, maybe adding a fish oil supplement will help? Nothing will stop the shedding completely but hopefully you can at least manage it