Thread: Sleep?

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sleep?

Just in the last week, Max has gotten a lot more energetic. I mean, he's still not "energetic" but he is awake more and playing more. Which is awesome during the day, and he gets lots of attention and play and training sessions and wrestling matches with our other dog.

But at night, he has gone from sleeping 8:30-6 like a log to being really restless at night. He still wants to pass out at 8:30 and sleep like a log until about 1. Then he wants to go out for a potty break, chew a bone for a while and settle in until about 4:30-5. And then he wants another potty break and he really feels breakfast and some play time.

His proposed schedule is not acceptable to me. I don't want to build this habit. But I am afraid to ignore his pleas for a potty break in the night. The past 2 night I took him when he cried at 1ish, then made him wait until 6 and just dealt with his whining.

Any suggestions to help him learn to sleep through the night?

Young Dawg (Member)

We have a three and a half year old rescue female and an 18 month old male Pyr. They normally stay out all night on our 6 acres fenced off property. Achilles, the young male will not stop making noises and loud barking until I open the door. When the female starts barking that is the last straw. They protect our chickens, ducks and geese and are obsessed with patrolling the fence line and barking at anything that moves out there, be it deer coyote, whatever. I built a huge two room dog house for there use in the winter when they also insist on going out. Cold weather means nothing to a Pyr. Our nearest neighbours are farmers and are about a kilometer away so noise complaints are not a problem.

To the best of my experience, getting a Great Pyrenees to sleep when he or she wants out is not on. They want what they want, and that is to guard their property, especially at night. I think it is just in the DNA. If there is a thunderstorm outside or it is really hot, they stay in at night by choice. This is not much help, but it is our experience.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I would try to keep him up later. You need to call some of the shots about his waking and sleeping if you want him to sleep more at night. I went through the same whining business and being afraid to miss the potty cue but I did a couple things to help her understand it was not play time. I used a flashlight so no lights were turned on, we went on leash to our appointed potty location and then immediately back to her crate. No stops, no nothing. She had a few toys in her crate so she could play a little if she wanted but the lights were out and I put in ear plugs. It didn't take her more than a few days before she understood that despite whining, we were not getting up at 1:30 a.m. nor were we going to be taken into mommy's bed. I used a white noise machine to make sure noises weren't waking her, had it nice and cool in the room and her crate covered so there was no light coming in. Good luck! I hope he gets the picture soon and you can get some sleep!

Young Dawg (Member)

I guess our current plan is to play harder during the day, wake him up for a potty break around 10 and deal with the whining for a few days while he adapts.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The Up-All-Night-Club? I remember those days. I was very happy when Sebastian outgrew that stage. Now, he only really wakes me up in the middle of the night when itís a potty emergency and he needs to go outside right away OR ELSE!!!

I wish heíd teach Chester to do the same. This morning was the second time in two weeks that I have woken up in the wee hours to Chester having explosive diarrhea all over the (carpeted) bedroom floor (and part of one wall). He may be a smaller boy, but he can hold some serious volume in that GI tract of his. You do not want to know what my house smells like right now, and thatís AFTER about 90 minutes of scrubbing the carpet and wall.

Heís back on Chicken and Rice and metronidazole for the foreseeable future, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Sebastian can avoid coming down with it this time. Two weeks ago, they were both pretty sick. On the way home from the vetís office, one of them barfed in the back seat of my car. I didnít realize it until I was on my way to work the next day. Not the most fun surprise Iíve ever had.

Of course, the good times more than make up for the few hours of lost sleep.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    The Up-All-Night-Club? I remember those days. I was very happy when Sebastian outgrew that stage. Now, he only really wakes me up in the middle of the night when itís a potty emergency and he needs to go outside right away OR ELSE!!!

I wish heíd teach Chester to do the same. This morning was the second time in two weeks that I have woken up in the wee hours to Chester having explosive diarrhea all over the (carpeted) bedroom floor (and part of one wall). He may be a smaller boy, but he can hold some serious volume in that GI tract of his. You do not want to know what my house smells like right now, and thatís AFTER about 90 minutes of scrubbing the carpet and wall.

Heís back on Chicken and Rice and metronidazole for the foreseeable future, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Sebastian can avoid coming down with it this time. Two weeks ago, they were both pretty sick. On the way home from the vetís office, one of them barfed in the back seat of my car. I didnít realize it until I was on my way to work the next day. Not the most fun surprise Iíve ever had.

Of course, the good times more than make up for the few hours of lost sleep.
    Poor Chester... What do you use to clean the carpet when accidents happen?

Pippa threw up a couple of days ago after our morning walk. I didn't see where she had thrown up until after I got home from work and now I have a pretty big stain in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    Poor Chester... What do you use to clean the carpet when accidents happen?

Pippa threw up a couple of days ago after our morning walk. I didn't see where she had thrown up until after I got home from work and now I have a pretty big stain in the living room.
    Poor Pippa! I hope she is feeling much much better!

My favorite cleaner is an enzymatic cleaner called Simple Green Bio Dog. Naturally, I am out of it right now, so I have been mixing the solution for my Bissell Carpet Cleaner with water and using that. I am planning on giving the carpet cleaner a full-on workout this weekend.

I should probably order some more Simple Green Bio Dog, while Iím at it...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Poor Pippa! I hope she is feeling much much better!

My favorite cleaner is an enzymatic cleaner called Simple Green Bio Dog. Naturally, I am out of it right now, so I have been mixing the solution for my Bissell Carpet Cleaner with water and using that. I am planning on giving the carpet cleaner a full-on workout this weekend.

I should probably order some more Simple Green Bio Dog, while Iím at it...
    How is Chester doing?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelg84 View Post
    How is Chester doing?
    Mikel, thank you so much for asking! He had a rough Thursday and Friday, so I took him to the vet Friday afternoon. We have no idea what made him so sick, but he is feeling much more like himself, now.

Part of me is still waiting for the other shoe to drop (I could totally make a poop joke right here), so I havenít really slept well the last few nights. Itís still totally worth it with every little bit of progress he makes!