Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Emily`s Photos

Smile Very Small Adult Pyr

Hey Guys,

I have a beautiful, healthy 1.5 year old female pyr. I’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. She was the same size as the rest of her litter and seemed to be consistently gaining weight, albeit slower than average, her first 6 months. However, she’s topped out now at 55 pounds. Vet says she’s only gained 1.5 pounds over the past several months. She has no health problems, eats high quality large breed dog food, and gets plenty of exercise. I know she’s still going to grow some, but even pups half her age outweigh her. Could she possibly be the runt or just an abnormally Small pyr? Also- anyone else’s pyr extremely timid around strangers? I swear it happened out of the blue, as a baby she was super social. I have made a point to socialize her constantly with people of varying ages, races, genders, etc since I’ve gotten her. She also goes to daycare and gets a ton of people/doggie socialization there as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	169FAC2A-4A08-498B-B76B-F3E6890E6B2A.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	9771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03DBABEE-2057-473F-A260-A569F445B55A.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	9772  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Emily & your petite girl...whose name is?....

from your photos she does look lanky, but she looks healthy & happy....quite honestly a lean dog at this stage of her life will probably help her bones later on in life...if the vet isn't concerned, then just keep her as she is...

right around her age is when Pyr's start to develop into their mature natures...don't forget what Pyr's were bred to do...that is to be guardians, think for themselves, and not be very social...but discriminating...

we took our pups everywhere we could to socialize them, right around 18 - 24 months their interest was no longer in playing or socializing, but rather sit & observe all that was around them.....I also stopped going to dog parks because they just weren't that "into it"

the way to introduce your girl to strangers is let her make the first move...if she wants to....when people ask if they can pet your dog & you see that she is timid & not wanting to be approached....say "no, not right now, thank you for asking"

if she's happy at the doggie daycare, then let that be her interaction & socialization time...

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

Some lines grow slower than others. Pyrs don't reach full physical maturity until after they turn 3. So your girl will grow a bit more in the next couple of years but she's likely not going to be in the larger side of the size range. Size or not, she's very pretty!!

At around 18 months it is not uncommon for a pyr to go through a shift in personality. A very social puppy can become less tolerant of other dogs and unfamiliar humans as they mature. This is a guardian breed, so they are supposed to be wary of strangers. I would continue to socialize your girl but not force her to interact if she's telling you she doesn't want to. Forcing interaction causes unnecessary stress, and if there is one too many stress stacking, it can cause a dog to resort to aggressive posturing. Instead you should be the champion for her and respect what she's communicating to you. Step in between the unfamiliar human and her and firmly tell the person to leave her be if she doesn't wish to greet. This is not coddling her. Rather it is building trust between you and your dog. When your girl learns that you working with her in her best interest, she can learn to be more comfortable around strangers by taking cues from your reactions.

My boy Bro, the one on the right in my avatar pic, was human shy. We got him when he was 8 weeks old and he was socialized. So it wasn't bad treatment from humans that made him that way; it was his personality. I spent years working with him to be comfortable with strangers by allowing him to make the decisions. Forcing him to interact reduced him to a trembling drooly mess. By backing off and letting him know that I would protect him from unwanted attention, he eventually learned to relax and mellow out.

Puppy (New Member)

Emily`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Welcome Emily & your petite girl...whose name is?....

from your photos she does look lanky, but she looks healthy & happy....quite honestly a lean dog at this stage of her life will probably help her bones later on in life...if the vet isn't concerned, then just keep her as she is...

right around her age is when Pyr's start to develop into their mature natures...don't forget what Pyr's were bred to do...that is to be guardians, think for themselves, and not be very social...but discriminating...

we took our pups everywhere we could to socialize them, right around 18 - 24 months their interest was no longer in playing or socializing, but rather sit & observe all that was around them.....I also stopped going to dog parks because they just weren't that "into it"

the way to introduce your girl to strangers is let her make the first move...if she wants to....when people ask if they can pet your dog & you see that she is timid & not wanting to be approached....say "no, not right now, thank you for asking"

if she's happy at the doggie daycare, then let that be her interaction & socialization time...

Nancy & Rudy

Thank you so much for your advice. Her name is Pebbles . She absolutely loves doggy daycare and is not one bit shy around other pups, just humans. I’ll just keep free feeding her and see how much she grows.

Puppy (New Member)

Emily`s Photos

I had no idea that they are still growing after 2 years. That makes sense. I have been taking her to our local Farmer’s Market for human socialization, and our vet loves the idea, but I will stop encouraging her to socialize with people when she’s clearly
    Nervous. Hopefully she will warm up on her own. Luckily she has never been aggressive, and is super calm and polite when a small child approaches, because half the time their parents aren’t watching them and they just ran up to her and start hugging....
    Thanks for your advice. Pebbles and I appreciate it!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I had no idea that they are still growing after 2 years.
    They reach full height by 2 years, but they will continue to fill out for another year to 18 months. Ren is nearly 2 years old, but his head is not yet fully grown, his shoulders and body length are also not yet fully developed. His chest has just started to drop.

My Bijou, the one on the left of my avatar pic, was 59 lbs at 13 months. She was a late developer. At over 2 years old she looked like she was 12 months old. She matured into a thin 75 lb. adult.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1115.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	9782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1114.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	9781Hello and welcome to you and girl beautiful girl. I LOVE that name, Pebbles. Any chance she was named after Fred Flintstones daughter? We adopted our Sir Moose 4 years ago next month t age 7. We know about his 4 yers abefore we got him, but nothing about his first 3 years. He thinks everyone that comes to this house comes to see him. He was with a golden retriever for the 4 years before we adopted him, and then with one for almost 2 years here. They ALWAYS think everyone that comes to the house come to see them and maybe he got the idea from the goldens. But he also loves people when we have him out, especially families with small children. He just gravitates to them.

We had a golden that we adopted fully grown and heart worm positive back in 2002 and had her for 12 years. She knew that everyone that came here came to see her, not us or theothr dogs. And everyone had to pet on her and give her er rubs, etc. She lo ved all humans and dogs (didn't care for cats.

One day I had a dryer delivered from Lowes. Only one guy came out with it. He rang the door bell and Honey beat me to it, tail wagging 90 to nothing. I opened the door, the guy came in and Honey backed off. I had NEVER seen her do that. He went to pet her and she ran down the back hall and stood there watching, tail down. I showed him where it was to go and he unhooked and took out the old one and she came back into the living room with me. When the guy came back in with the new dryer, again she ran down the ahll way and stood watching...until he left the house. Then she came running to me.

People have suggest maybe it was becaue he had on a cap--nope, every male member of this family wears caps and she never had a problem. Maybe it was that he had a uniform on. Nope, I had gotten several appliances from Lowes and from furniture store and she always had to be petted. She wanted mailman to pet her, etc. So it was not uniform nor cap. Was he black? No, Hispanic, but we have Hispanic friends that come here and neighbors and she wants attention from them. We never could figure out what it was, but there was something about that many that Honey didn't like or trust. Goldens are not bred to be watchdogs or guardians and most go right to people, to anybody. Pyrs are bred different and if it is only certain people Pebbles is shy of, perhaps she senses something as Honey did with that delivery guy. If it is everyone, perhaps it is just her being a guardian and nto quite trusting.
    Jerry and Moose