Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 5.5 month old pyr puppy resource guarding, shy, and territorial

I recently adopted a 5 month old Pyrenees puppy from a family who “didn’t have enough space for her.” She has some resource guarding problems and was very undersocialized when I got her. She was their first dog and they missed the critical socialization period as she rarely left the house as a puppy. We have worked with her food aggression towards us by tossing treats into her bowl as she’s eating and hand feeding, but she still shows aggression towards our other dog if he comes near her bowl. other than that she has much improved. Ironically she doesn’t like any food that much and I have an incredibly difficult time getting her to eat a full meal, no matter what it is, ground beef or anything. Are Pyrenees typically picky eaters?
    I knew what to expect as far as barking, and she has barked a ton since I first got her at 4 months old. We live on 5 acres and she roams 1 fenced acre. I am a little surprised by how territorial she is at such a young age. She charges our fence line with hackles up and sounds pretty ferocious if she she’s anyone or anything pass by. Is this typical at such a young age?
    We are working on socializing her and she does very well at the dog park, but is still very shy of people and won’t let them touch her without a long introduction. Any recommendations or experience with getting over her fear of strangers, I want to be able to have visitors over and take her out into society.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Daisymae210 View Post
    she has barked a ton since I first got her at 4 months old. She charges our fence line with hackles up and sounds pretty ferocious if she she’s anyone or anything pass by. Is this typical at such a young age?
    Typically pups don't find their voices until 6 months and after. Some pups will bark earlier but it isn't typical for pups as young as 4-5 months old to be territorial. I suspect your girl's reactivity stems partly from personality and then greatly exacerbated by lack of socialization.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisymae210 View Post
    is still very shy of people and won’t let them touch her without a long introduction. Any recommendations or experience with getting over her fear of strangers, I want to be able to have visitors over and take her out into society.
    I would not push her to meet strangers if she's not willing. It is typically recommended to let a shy dog be and not force the interaction. As she grows to trust you and learns that you will protecter from unwanted attention, then you can cultivate her to trust your judgment about people she's not met before. Forcing a shy dog to greet can lead the dog to resort to fear bite. My prior male was human shy too. Forcing him to greet only caused more stress. People using baby talk voice to him only freaked him out. I asked people who came to our home not to look at him, talk to him and not to try to pet him.

You girl might come of her shell or she might not. If she doesn't have the social butterfly personality, you shouldn't push her beyond what she is comfortable with. If she doesn't like to be touched, then just take her around humans who would follow your instruction to not give her attention.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Daisymae & family....

1) food...can you feed your dogs in separate areas...so they can't see each other...maybe even inside a crate...it may make her more secure knowing that no one or in this case, no other dog will challenge her for her food....you can keep on hand feeding her, but I would still recommend you keeping the dogs out of sight of each other...

2)yes, some Pyr's are very picky eaters...and weather also makes a difference....it's been in the triple digits here in Walla Walla, and Rudy absolutely refuses to even take a treat before 11....guess he's a brunch kind of guy...sigh...

3)how many times a day do you feed her? 3-4 smaller meals might work better for her...if your time schedule allows

4)I think Jewel addressed the barking issue quite well....if you have more concerns, talk with your vet & find out if there is a behaviorist in your area that could come & assess how she is reacting & can help you & her with the behavior

5)please don't forget what Pyr's were bred for....their independence, their ability to assess situation and to be watchful wary guardians....

6) not knowing what her first family did or didn't do, she is still young & with your patience, humor & kindness she can become the best girl possible....quite honestly, some of my Pyr's have been socialites...and some would rather not ever see a person...or especially touched by one...not aggressive...but just their preference

keep us informed on how your life together progresses!

Nancy & Rudy