Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Random aggression

Hey everyone

So I have a 1.5 Great Pyrenees and since I got him he has been coming to work with me. So he has constantly been around people and other dogs since he was 8 weeks old. He has gone to the dog parks so many times and no problems. Before he was neutered, he would get obsessed with a dog and if another dog came up he would bark aggressively. Once I got him neutered that stoped. But recently in the past couple of months, he will randomly bark aggressively toward dogs. For example, thereís another dog across the street and he will bark at it. Most of the time he is fine and wants to play bc he does love other dogs but itís super random dogs he gets that way with. Another time will be at a restaurant or something where he has been so many times. And now if another dog comes in he will bark meanly. The most recent time was at the dog park. He was fine and as we were leaving another dog was walking in. He sniffed it and then I pulled him to leave and he snapped at the other dog. He will never bite just aggressively bark and it scares people. Anyways I donít know what to do or how to stop it. I get on to him after he does it. HELP!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Hendrixthegreat...I assume that is your Pyr' name?!

As a Pyr matures, they seem to not need the company of other dogs...nor do they welcome it....and your guy seems to be just about the right age to start showing his preference.

Personally....I would stay away from the dog parks from now on....he probably doesn't need that physical activity any more...a nice walk with you early or late in the cool of the day might be better for him.

Pyr's use whatever force necessary to let others know how they feel...in other words, if a bark works...great, or if he needs to snarl, that's another sign...and if he lunges & snaps...it's his way of saying..."this is my last warning...stay away" Don't "get on him"...he's sending out warning signals that need to be there....it's up to others to heed that warning. "Getting on him" will only make him understand that he needs not give a warning...which will mean if he needs to communicate his feelings later...he will snap/bite first & give no warning...that's not what you want or need.

If you haven't ready anything about LGD's....then you might want to ready up on what their job description has been & how they respond to that responsibility....it will help you understand that this is a dog that thinks for himself, you and he are team members, not alpha or beta...but a relationship that builds on trust & understanding

a photo of your boy would be most welcomed!

Nancy & Rudy

Pjg8r`s Photos

I agree with Nickís Spirit. Tucker still enjoyed playing with animals he knew at home (dogs and cats)and tolerated the neighbors dogs, but he no longer enjoyed doggy day care by the time he was eighteen months old. I still took him one day a week and they were great limiting his time with the other dogs and allowing him time in the play yard alone or with one of the counselors. My work schedule required he have one afternoon a week out of my house. Athena loved doggy day care her entire life so it does depend on the dog. Heís giving you and the other dogs a message that I think you should listen to.

Jewel`s Photos

There is a good chance there is a reason why your boy is reacting to certain dogs and not others. My boy Bro, the one on the right of my avatar pic, was reactive when he was young and he didn't react to every dog, just certain ones. Because of him, I learned to read body language and I figured out that he was reacting to dogs that displayed dominant challenge body language. Dominant body langue could easily be mistakenly interpreted by a human as bright, happy, non-aggressive expression. But to a dog, it's a clear challenge.

Like Nancy and PjgBr said, it is not uncommon that as a pyr matures, it may have s shift in personality from puppyhood and become less tolerant of other dogs or non-family member humans. While you've exposed your boy to people and dogs, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was always ok with that. As he matures and grown big and strong, it may be that he's decided he's just no longer willing to accept every human and dog within his comfort zone.

I would start with educating yourself about dog body language if you are not well versed with it. If you are considering seeking professional help, you should look to a behaviorist and not just a trainer.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Echoing everything everybody above said! 1.5 was around the age my pyr's temperament shifted. As a puppy he played indiscriminately at the dog park, but now he only likes my parents' dogs. Your pyr may just be growing into a temperament that isn't that accepting to any and all dogs. Definitely looking into dog body language like Jewel suggested will be helpful (if you can sense he's uncomfortable with a dog before he growls/snaps you'll be better able to work on redirecting him and/or removing him from a bad situation before it actually turns bad).

You can also buy tools to help other dogs keep their distance in public places if you decide you would prefer your pyr to have space from being approached by any and every dog...Amazon has bright yellow leashes/vests ect. that say things like 'please give me space' or 'nervous' or 'caution' etc. that should deter pet owners from letting theirs charge over to him. If he continues to act uncomfortable at the dog park with certain dogs, you may want to consider limiting his exposure to unknown dogs. Maybe you could schedule playdates with dogs you already know he gets along with so you don't have to worry about something happening with a new dog.

There was a dog at the dog park when we went that had a very mean-sounding bark, but her bark wasn't aggressive in nature-- she just barked when she played. I remember the first time she came out her bark freaked me out a little, but she never growled/snarled/bit/etc any other dog. Does your pyr's barking definitely sound aggressive in nature? I know you said he snapped at the dog when you were leaving-- was the other dog leashed at the time this happened? I know some dogs can react aggressively if they are on leash (especially if the leash is being pulled) while the other dog is free-- they can feel trapped which can lead to anxiety-fueled aggression. Does your pyr sort of "freeze" right before he starts the barking at other dogs (lock his eyes on the dog, start moving in a way that almost looks like slow-motion, anything like that?) or is he barking with a loose sort of bouncy body language? Every dog's body language is different, but with my pyr stiff=triggered!!

If you're sure his barking is aggressive, I would be wary of taking him to the dog park. Snapping can lead to biting if he ever encounters a socially-rude dog that doesn't "get" the warning and persists...your pyr could feel cornered into escalating to biting and you definitely wouldn't want that!