Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Is extreme clumsiness a breed trait?

I don't have any need for my dog to be particularly graceful. As a matter of fact, I find the clumsiness entertaining...as long as it's not a sign of something wrong! Max can clearly see fine, and he doesn't run into things. But he does trip over things and fall on his face. When he jumps out of the car or off of anything, he often loses his footing. And his method for descending stairs can best be described as "avalanche," he just sort of flings himself downward with no sustained attempt to remain upright and it always involves his elbows, knees and even head contacting the carpet more than once.

So, is that normal? The vet says his joints seem fine and his sight seems fine.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

since Max is still in his "puppy" stage, and your vet isn't concerned with his joints...my guess is that he's still growing into his limbs.

if he's falling out of the car, I think I would try to lessen the incidents where he looses his footing....try to "help" him out, my thought on getting in or out of a car at an early age can be jarring on their joints, causing problems later in life. I know he's probably getting to be a very big boy...but the less impact he has on his joints now will pay off as he ages

Jewel`s Photos

He's just under 4 months, right? If so, try to minimize him jumping off things. These guys start to put on 10 lbs a month starting at 3 months. With that kind of rapid growth, it would be best not to jar the joints unnecessarily.

I remember carrying Ren (who is 22 months now) up & down until he was past 4 months old. I'm pretty sure I was still helping him out of the car past 6 months. It wasn't because he didn't know how to jump. I just thought there was no point putting extra burden on those joints.

Road Dawg

This is a minivan, he could literally step down onto the ground. Just as he could walk down the stairs one step at a time. I lift him down off anything higher than a few inches just because I worry his faceplants might hurt from higher. I can't carry him down the stairs safely. But he has also tripped over his own feet and wiped out running to the back door. And once he stumbled off the edge of a rug.