Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

You're welcome. Keep us updated please!

And I second what Nancy said about confining Nova to an area inside the house until he is potty trained.

I know you're probably very overwhelmed right now, but try to be optimistic. I'm sure things will work out. I can feel it!!

It's great that Nova is already on meds to get rid of his worms and it doesn't look like a yard treatment for those worms is super expensive or time consuming. Hopefully you and your parents can look into the borax treatment. And potty training will not be a problem in the future for sure.

Jewel`s Photos

How old is this puppy? Do you have other animals that your parents are concerned about contracting worms? The thing is if the pup is in your yard as is, the worms are in your yard and the eggs could come in with your shoes. I would agree with Nancy that if you can confine him to a place without carpet, that would minimize risk to your family.

While you may not want to give him on him, are your parents prepared to have an 100 plus pound sheddy, barky, and potentially drooly pet in their home? These guys get big and they bark LOUD. If your parent's aren't on board with this, it would be the kindest thing to find him a rescue that will place him in a home that knows how to deal with the maintenance of a LGD.

Puppy (New Member)

The puppy is estimated to be 2 months+. We have a cat with kittens who are never outside.

That's terrifying and I had thought that our shoes may take the eggs in, but we do not wear shoes inside the house and we leave them near the steps by the door before going inside the house. Will hosing down our shoes wash away the possible eggs? I hope they can't pierce through the shoe material and dig into our feet.

We placed him in our garage for 2 days before, and he wet himself without whining or barking to let us know he needed to go.

They don't mind having a large dog as my dad grew up with a great dane before. I think I can prepare to give him up to find him a better home to the rescue if that is the only way to make him the happiest he can be, but I'd feel upset for a while losing him.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by tellius View Post
    We placed him in our garage for 2 days before, and he wet himself without whining or barking to let us know he needed to go.
    He's too young to know how to do that. On top of that, he's never been inside, so he's not going to know the difference of pottying outside or in. If he is only 2 months old, he desperately needs companionship, socialization and education at this point. There is absolutely no place inside with hard flooring that would be easy to clean?

Granted, there are plenty of working pyrs here in Texas that live outside their entire lives and Texas is pretty hot. However, these working dogs are usually in much more open spaces that allow better air flow.

Would you be able to freeze big bowls of ice and leave it out for him to lick? The bigger the bowl the better so the ice will last longer. You can drop a few treats in the water and let them freeze in the water to encourage him to lick the ice. I don't know what else to suggest because your parents aren't likely to budge about letting him inside.

I do need to point out that pyrs are very different than danes. The coat maintenance alone is daunting if you aren't prepared for it. Even when you think you are prepared, first time owners often get overwhelmed by the amount of coat that they shed during coat blowing time - which lasts weeks. Also, barking is a breed trait. They bark. a. lot. So, you need to make sure your parents are ok with these traits that are different than the danes to see if they would be ok with what they will have to deal with.

Puppy (New Member)

Our kitchen is hardwood flooring and so is our living room, but the cats hang around there. At what age will he learn the difference? We spend a lot of time talking to him and playing with him and he uses his chew toys.

We are able to freeze big bowls. We can try that and also with the treats.

I'll keep talking to my parents about him. They are aware of his coat. I heard it's not recommended to shave them, but will it be safe to trim them at a groomer?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by tellius View Post
    At what age will he learn the difference?
    He is a baby and has to be taught what you expect from him. Being outside 24/7 he would not know how this whole having to ask to outside for potty thing works. You will have to teach him that when you eventually let him inside. Some pups take to potty training very quickly and some do not. It was absolutely brutal for us with Ren. He wasn't fully potty trained until he was 6 months old. Raising a puppy is a lot of work.