Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Maintaining a great pyrenees in hot Georgia weather?

Hello, I am caring for a Great Pyrenees puppy that was left at an abandoned farmyard. It is very hot right now in Georgia with temperatures usually past 85 degrees with very high humidity past 45%. We took him to the vet and he was healthy except they found intestinal worms in him. Unfortunately, my parents are scared of him passing eggs and larvae from the worms into our house since the medicine only kills the adult worms and he is not completely potty trained, so they make me keep outside all day and night under a patio umbrella shade. I am just a teen who is unable to drive or own a car, so I can't put him in a car and turn the ac on for him to cool him down.

I leave him water under the shade and refill it very often and will drop an ice cube in there frequently to help him out. Will the weather be too much for him especially in the upcoming weeks where it'll rise to 92 without rain or storms? I'm afraid of him getting a heat stroke and I'm not exactly sure if he can tolerate the heat. I can't care for him all the time either because I am doing a science internship program that makes me gone for most of the morning to afternoon a few days a week. How can I maintain him for this climate? If there is no way, should give him up to a Great Pyrenees Rescue in my state to keep him safe for sure?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Hello,

First off all, you're awesome for homing a Great Pyrenees puppy.

What kind of worms does he have? Are they round or flat? When did the treatment start? What's the name of the medicine that he is being given? Tapeworms and roundworms are the most common type of worms. Do you remember the vet saying what type of worms were found in his poop?

From my personal experience most dewormers kill both adult and larvae forms. I don't quite understand how a medicine can only kill the adult forms. But I could be wrong. I was under the impression that most dewormers were pretty good at killing both. I've used "8in1 Safe-Guard 4 Canine Dewormer" in the past and it eliminated both the adult and larvae forms (after seeing my vet). In 2 days. Assuming the medicine works, I don't see why your parents can become infective. Chances are VERY LOW. Especially among adults. You would literally need to ingest fresh feces that contain alive eggs AND have a severely weak immune system in order to get sick. Chances aren't 0%, but they're VERY VERY low.

If your dog is very hot, brining him inside will not put your parents at risk, especially after knowing that a dewormer treatment has already started and no one would drink water that has poop in it.

Puppy (New Member)

He has roundworms and hookworms. We started it this Monday. I don't remember what it was called, but it was a pinkish rectangular chewy pill? The vet told us it won't kill any larvae in his body, but he poops out the dead adults. They're afraid of getting infected if he drags his bottom on the floor, possible larvae can stick to the floor and we wouldn't know. They're also scared of clinging eggs and larvae from his poop to the carpet since carpet is especially hard to clean. We were informed that if we stepped on hookworm larvae, they can burrow up the skin of our feet and travel through our body.

The de-worming seems to be in-progress since we are supposed to come back on the 23rd to get him checked up and administered more treatment for his worms.

Thank you.

I guess you probably know this, but both roundworms and hookworms can survive outside the host for a long time. They can be found in soil, yards... especially in very hot and humid places. So I understand the concern now. I've never had to deal with roundworms or hookworms, so hopefully someone can give you some input.

I believe that vacuuming the carpet, using cleaning products and keeping the house clean will kill any possible roundworms or hookworms that your dog could bring inside, but not many people are willing to take the risk. Treating your yard for hookworms is something that I would try to do ASAP, while your dog is being treated for the worms. Treating your soil is as important as treating your dog in this case.

I would still bring the dog inside because I truly believe that the chances of getting sick are extremely low, but I understand some people don't want to take the risk. Plus you're a teenager living in your parents' home. It's a hard place to be.

If you can't or don't want to have him inside until the 23rd or when he is parasite free and the lawn has been treated, I guess he's going to have to stay outside. My dog is an inside dog, so unfortunately I am no expert in this matter. However, some people on here have working dogs and from what I remember some stay outside all year round taking care of the livestock. With enough water and some shade I don't see why a Great Pyrenees can't survive being outside even when it's over 90 degrees. Hopefully some people can tell us their experiences.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for the information. If you can, do you know how to treat our yard to get rid the hookworms? We're not using harsh chemicals at the moment since the puppy chews on the grass if we look away.

I am thinking of buying battery fans (unfortunately they are very small and largest size is 10 inches) and placing them near him all day to cool him down further. I'm not sure if they are effective though. I'm hoping he can survive this blazing summer until my parents make the final decision to let him in or not.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

tellius....thank you for trying to give this pup a great home....and his name is????

as mike says....both of those parasites can live a long while outside.....so...the best way to make sure your pup is free from these, is to bring him in!

can you confine the pup to one area...laundry room, bathroom, even a basement....so that while he is being house trained his excrement is being kept contained. Also a hard surface that can be sanitized would be preferable.

you are correct, puppies have a harder time regulating their body temperature...so keeping him cool will be important in the coming months.

if you can afford it, you might want to look into getting him a cooling mat to lay on...there are several out there, I've never used one so I can't recommend a brand for you.

and finally....if you feel that this is too much for you to handle at this time...yes, I would talk with a rescue in your area, he is young and can adapt to new situations...and they may be better equip to find a foster for this guy

you are very considerate & empathetic young person to take on this little guy....hope all works out for you & him
    Please keep us informed on your situation

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Hi nick's spirit, I named him Nova.

We tried keeping him in the garage that has 5 fans in it that is on all the time, but he constantly runs to the door that leads outside and barks and paws at it. We're not sure if this means that he wants to be outside or that he prefers being outside.

Unfortunately, cooling mats are not recommended for the outside since the humidity heats it up. We also looked into dog cooling vests, but the evaporative system they use will cook Nova up in the humidity. I'm trying to find anything that can work for him since July showers are not at all frequent for this year.

I don't want to give up on him, because he is an adorable pup, but I don't want to see him hurt. I already sent the nearest rescue an email and I will see what they say.

I'll keep updates on the situation. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

tellius....he probably just wants to have the only "family" he knows close around him, so trying to get out of the garage to find you sounds like a normal behavior....as pups, even Great Pyrenees, want to be close to some thing or someone...it's a very natural basic need for most of us...don't forget...if they end up as flock guarding dogs, they are put in with their livestock as small puppies, and usually with the guidance of a mature adult to show them what they are supposed to do...

I know you are giving him as much attention & care that you are able to...but he's just like any other "baby" needing the comfort of another being

BTW...love his name!

Quote Originally Posted by tellius View Post
    Thanks for the information. If you can, do you know how to treat our yard to get rid the hookworms?
    I hope this helps -->

It seems that there is an eco friendly way to get rid of hookworms in soil after all:

https://www.hunker.com/12262461/soil...t-for-hookworm

I'm not sure if the bottles of pesticides that you can buy at stores such as Home Depot, Lowe's, etc... can kill hookworms. Reviews are mixed.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks again, mike! I'll look into borax.