Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

brainfog`s Photos

Default 16 yo pup in need of rabies booster after bite of unknown origion?

16 week old.....

My pup appears to have been bitten my something. The bite was ~5 days ago, probably need to visit the vet as its not healing correctly, but they're all suggest a rabies booster and more $$$ ($25). She had rabies vaccine 15 days prior to the bite.

Is the booster *really* needed or is this just another $20 to pocket?

I suspect the bite is from our large gander (goose), lots of hair removed, very small wound that looks more like the ones I get instead of another predator.

I'm also thinking of clip and clean the would myself - cause I really need to learn this myself.

TU!

--- SIG!
    Unlikely anyone here is a vet, but many have had 10-20+ years of experience with outside dogs on the farm. I'm looking for your experience as to what worked, what didn't - when did *you* go to the vet. On the farm doing lite vet work is the norm - including injections. If go to the vet with every dog problem, I'd be better buying pastured organic chickens for $30 each, goose and turkey for $200, and $8/doz eggs!
    Last edited by brainfog; 07-06-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I can see her needing antibiotics, but not sure why a rabies booster would be recommended.....then again...I'm no vet.

Yes, I would clip & clean the wound...

does it look like it's infected?

Puppy (New Member)

brainfog`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    I can see her needing antibiotics, but not sure why a rabies booster would be recommended.....then again...I'm no vet.

Yes, I would clip & clean the wound...

does it look like it's infected?
    Not infected, but I think she's scratched the area around the wound raw - so its rather white there. Unclear how I'll cover it with her scratching.

-----------------------
    Unlikely anyone here is a vet, but many have had 10-20+ years of experience with outside dogs on the farm. I'm looking for your experience as to what worked, what didn't - when did *you* go to the vet. On the farm doing lite vet work is the norm - including injections. If go to the vet with every dog problem, I'd be better buying pastured organic chickens for $30 each, goose and turkey for $200, and $8/doz eggs!
    Last edited by brainfog; 07-05-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add sig

brainfog....don't have farm experience....just 20 years in Alaska without a vet...so I understand your need to take care of your girl.

so...yes, clean the area...maybe you could put a large gauze pad over the wound & then wrap it with sticky vet tape to keep it clean

I would look at it at least twice a day to make sure there is no infection...if it starts to feel warm or start looking like it has pus in it, a call to the vet for antibiotics would probably be your next move

I know some vets now a days say "I can't prescribe anything unless I see the dog"....well then I guess it's your call on what to do...

on that note....one time a friend of mine's dog got bit by a spider...nasty wound, lots of tissue necrophilia & damage...vet says he can't treat the dog without seeing it...she tells the vet....you know what my husband will do...he'll put the dog down himself....so this vet agreed...that if she drove by with her dog in the car, opened the back so he could "see" the dog...he would prescribe antibiotics...she did...and he did...and the dog got better....

now if only you could find a vet like that!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Your vet is probably recommending the rabies booster because s/he knows more about how the juvenile canine immune system works than you do. After a vaccine is administered, it takes time for the body to produce the right amount of the right antibodies in order for the animal to have immunity. Iím not talking hours or days, here, Iím talking weeks to months. The point of the booster would be to boost the puppyís antibody production, in the hopes that, if she actually has been exposed to the rabies virus, she will have enough antibodies to kill it before it kills her and everyone she exposes in the process. The virus can start shedding before an animal starts showing any visible symptoms. For what itís worth, humans exposed to the rabies virus are given an initial round of shots, then get three boosters spaced several days apart.

There are times when I feel like some vets recommend unnecessary treatment in an attempt to boost their bottom lines. I donít see this as being one of those times. Sure, your puppy was probably bitten by a gander, but you donít know that for sure. If your vet were really out to line his/her pockets, they might be interested to know that there are much more efficient ways of doing that than recommending booster shots. That extra $25 isnít exactly going to buy your vet a Lambo anytime soon.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

brainfog....is this dog/pup 16 years old or 16 months old?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I would say YES to the rabies booster, since a booster produces a much more efficient immune response (more and better antibodies, more cytokines, etc...). It takes around 1 month for a dog to reach the peak of rabies virus antibodies, so your dog is not completely safe until 4-5 weeks post vaccination. Sometimes longer in puppies because of weaker immune systems. The booster will make your dog to rapidly produce another immune response, reaching the peak in 24 hours. So, without a doubt, booster is the way to go. Also not only will it take 24 hours to reach the peak, it will stay like that for much longer than one single dose.

Puppy (New Member)

brainfog`s Photos

Mikelg84 - the details on the immune response are what I needed to know. TU.

SebastiansMom - I called around - I'm not married to a vet until I find a good on. Only some included a rabies booster in the cost est - hence my query.
    Unlikely anyone here is a vet, but many have had 10-20+ years of experience with outside dogs on the farm. I'm looking for your experience as to what worked, what didn't - when did *you* go to the vet. On the farm doing lite vet work is the norm - including injections. If one goes to the vest with every dog problem, they would be better buying pastured organic poultry (chickens for $30 each, eggs for $8, and goose and turkey $200).

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Your vet is probably recommending the rabies booster because s/he knows more about how the juvenile canine immune system works than you do. After a vaccine is administered, it takes time for the body to produce the right amount of the right antibodies in order for the animal to have immunity. I’m not talking hours or days, here, I’m talking weeks to months. The point of the booster would be to boost the puppy’s antibody production, in the hopes that, if she actually has been exposed to the rabies virus, she will have enough antibodies to kill it before it kills her and everyone she exposes in the process. The virus can start shedding before an animal starts showing any visible symptoms. For what it’s worth, humans exposed to the rabies virus are given an initial round of shots, then get three boosters spaced several days apart.

There are times when I feel like some vets recommend unnecessary treatment in an attempt to boost their bottom lines. I don’t see this as being one of those times. Sure, your puppy was probably bitten by a gander, but you don’t know that for sure. If your vet were really out to line his/her pockets, they might be interested to know that there are much more efficient ways of doing that than recommending booster shots. That extra $25 isn’t exactly going to buy your vet a Lambo anytime soon.
    I have to completely agree with you
    Last edited by Jamestheone85; 11-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.