Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Great pyr mix training

Hello everyone, I'm new here and found this forum when searching for information on my puppy. I adopted a young puppy of about 6 weeks towards the end of may. Lux is now 11-12 weeks old, she knows sit, stay, down, off and let go/drop it. I'm having issues with her training when we go out walking where she will bite my pant leg and sometimes she'll get my leg. I'll tell her no and have her sit but she'll keep trying to bite on my pant leg. Has anyone experienced this problem if so how did you get your puppy to stop doing this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180703_132939.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	9731  

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelismama14 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new here and found this forum when searching for information on my puppy. I adopted a young puppy of about 6 weeks towards the end of may. Lux is now 11-12 weeks old, she knows sit, stay, down, off and let go/drop it. I'm having issues with her training when we go out walking where she will bite my pant leg and sometimes she'll get my leg. I'll tell her no and have her sit but she'll keep trying to bite on my pant leg. Has anyone experienced this problem if so how did you get your puppy to stop doing this?
    Well thanks for the assistance, it's been great.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Nayelismama...and Lux...

must have missed this post somehow....tho I haven't this experience with a puppy like this, thought I'd bump the thread & some new puppy owners might have more insight to this problem.

at 11-12 weeks, my guess is that she is teething....or she could just be so wound up that maybe a little exercise before you start your training walk would help....a little ball play...a game of chase with you...tire her out a little...don't get her so excited she can't calm down...and maybe just relax on the walking for now...she's still young & her bones are growing, walking on hard surfaces is not too good for them too early.

the other thing I would do when I was leash training is first get them comfortable in the house dragging the leash around (under my supervision) for short periods of time during the day...
    then I would pick up the leash, let my pup lead the way (it's funny because they really don't understand exactly what you want them to do!)
    after a few sessions like that (maybe even a week), I would then pick up the leash & direct my pup where I wanted to go....that's when the fun really starts!! sometimes they sit, sometimes they chew the leash, sometimes they "attack" Mom....I then just stop, ignore the dog...not even a "no" then when they stop the action & settle down...quickly give them a much desired & special treat, since she knows "sit" already...after a few seconds of ignoring her, you could ask her to sit then give her the treat...make sure it is something she never gets at any other time...a small piece of hotdog....a freeze dried piece of liver....keep it small

she'll come around....she still learning...and is looking to you for guidance, reassurance, patience & love!

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Welcome Nayelismama...and Lux...

must have missed this post somehow....tho I haven't this experience with a puppy like this, thought I'd bump the thread & some new puppy owners might have more insight to this problem.

at 11-12 weeks, my guess is that she is teething....or she could just be so wound up that maybe a little exercise before you start your training walk would help....a little ball play...a game of chase with you...tire her out a little...don't get her so excited she can't calm down...and maybe just relax on the walking for now...she's still young & her bones are growing, walking on hard surfaces is not too good for them too early.

the other thing I would do when I was leash training is first get them comfortable in the house dragging the leash around (under my supervision) for short periods of time during the day...
    then I would pick up the leash, let my pup lead the way (it's funny because they really don't understand exactly what you want them to do!)
    after a few sessions like that (maybe even a week), I would then pick up the leash & direct my pup where I wanted to go....that's when the fun really starts!! sometimes they sit, sometimes they chew the leash, sometimes they "attack" Mom....I then just stop, ignore the dog...not even a "no" then when they stop the action & settle down...quickly give them a much desired & special treat, since she knows "sit" already...after a few seconds of ignoring her, you could ask her to sit then give her the treat...make sure it is something she never gets at any other time...a small piece of hotdog....a freeze dried piece of liver....keep it small

she'll come around....she still learning...and is looking to you for guidance, reassurance, patience & love!

Nancy & Rudy
    Thank you for the suggestions, as for walking on hard surfaces is walking a short path to a large grassy park to much for her bones? During our short walk we take frequent breaks so Lux can stop and sniff whatever catches her attention.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I don't think a short path would be too much for her at this time....I would be more concerned with the heat down your way!

and...since she probably is teething, something I used to do with my pups was take an old washcloth...tie it in a knot, wet it & freeze it...I always kept a couple of these for my pups to gnaw on to help ease the pain of adult teeth coming in...I usually played with them to get them used to the "toy"....plus...having a playmate is so much fun!

Puppy (New Member)

Don't worry about the heat, I only take Lux to the park early in the morning or in the late evening when I get off work when it's nice and cool out.