Hybrid View

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Walking my puppy

I just brought home my pyr pup last week. He's now 9 weeks and 3 days old. What would be the recommended amount for walking him daily? I know not to walk him too much when he's super young bc he's growing so fast and it can mess with his growth and cause problems later on. Currently I walk him 1st thing in the morning after he's eaten and about 45 minutes before bedtime, both for about 20 to 30 minutes. But we really don't get that far bc I'm still working on leash training. Any advice would be great. Plus the walks have really helped with his play biting and chewing on things since he's in the land shark stage. I do know a tired pup is a good pup. I also just made him a flirt pole to play with him in the yard which he seems to enjoy, just so I can mix it up a little.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Leesha & new puppy...and his name is?!!!

I think walking him for short distance & time is great for right now...just get him used to the sights, sounds & scents in your area...don't have to go far or fast...he's taking it all in right now...and these are bonding times for you & him.....playing chase with you is probably a great energy drain...and since he isn't doing repetitive motions it's better for him as well....especially if you are on grass, or soft ground.

Be aware that pups do have a more difficult time regulating their body temps...so short play times at the coolest times of the day

Keep us informed on his antics as he grows!

Nancy & Rudy

I was wondering about the flirt pole and doing it in the grass in my back yard. He lives playing with it, but sometimes when he lunges and misses the toy he will do a roll over himself because he doesnt take corners very well yet. I just want to make sure that's not going to hurt him as he's growing.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Leesha1982 View Post
    I just want to make sure that's not going to hurt him as he's growing.
    Pups jump and fall and tumble when they play with their littermates. But alas accidents can happen now and then. Your pup is still rather uncoordinated at this age and as you are the one controlling the flirt pole, I think you just have to use your best judgment as to how rough the play gets. But conceptually, I think the flirt pole is not a bad tool to help them move different parts of the body.

His name is Ares, like the god of war. We always walk him or play with him first thing in the morning or late evening once it cools. And I play with him in the back yard on grass with the flirt pole. He loves to play chase with my little girl, and will rarely go on the walls without her. Or if she's there and lags behind, will sit and wait and look back at her until she catches up to him

Jewel`s Photos

I was not willing to walk Ren before he got his second round of shots at around 3 months. That month between when we got him and the second set of shots seemed long at the time... But I just didn't want to take any chances.

At his age, your walks should be at the pup's speed. The bad thing about walking them so young is you don't want repetitive motion on the very young joints. So when I started walking Ran at 3 months, I let him dictate. If he wanted to run, we ran, if he wanted to roll around, I let him.

I, too, am very cautious about where he goes and who he's around outside. He's already had 2 of his boosters and will have his 3rd July 18th and will also be neutered that day as well. Yes, walks are fairly slow and take awhile some mornings, or sometimes he's on a mission and wants to get it done. But he is worn out when we get home and will literally go almost lay on top of his fan in the front room. The walks also help to curb his chewing and biting, which I know is just part of puppy-dom. The family we got Ares from had his 1st set of shots done for the whole littler at 6 weeks, so when I got him home, I had his 2nd done at 8 weeks, and will have his last done at 11. Then after he heals from getting fixed I plan on enrolling him in a puppy class to expand on what I've been working on with him at home, plus I'd like to be able to take him around other dogs for more socialization.