Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Showing signs of potential Therapy Dog❤️

Greetings from Sue and Ms.Fiona in CT!
    Fiona is my 1st Great Pyr and she is showing promise for working as a therapy dog. Only 7months old, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had their Pyr as a therapy dog? Fiona adores children. Was looking at possibly getting her into a library or children's hospital to work. Anyone have any experience in doing this with your fur baby??

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by PurewhiteFionagirl View Post
    Greetings from Sue and Ms.Fiona in CT!
    Fiona is my 1st Great Pyr and she is showing promise for working as a therapy dog. Only 7months old, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had their Pyr as a therapy dog? Fiona adores children. Was looking at possibly getting her into a library or children's hospital to work. Anyone have any experience in doing this with your fur baby??
    Our 1.5 yr old male Zeke is in the process now, has 8 more hours of supervised therapy sessions then he's good to go.

We noticed his potential right away when we got him at about 5 months old, very calm, loved being out in public, will sit there and let anyone pet him for hours, and figured we'd like to share him with as many other people as we could.

He went thru basic obediance, then advanced, then therapy prep class with the test at end which he passed, now has to do 10 hours of supervised visits. First two were with children, one was at a library where kids come in and read to the dogs.

If you're serious about it, a good starting point would be find out what your local chapter is for therapy dogs and get in touch with them for advice - for example our local chapter is Love on a Leash.

Here Z is at his first session...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35282754_1959480634070862_656396531837960192_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	9730