Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Constant barker and horrible neighbor!!!

Hi everyone I am new here. I have been trying to find out as much as I can and felt that I needed to make a post to best help with my situation. I have a year and a half old male pyr named Tundra. He is the sweetest dog and never aggressive but constantly barks through the day. He lives outside and we have about an acre fenced in for him but he is always barking and it is a loud bark. He started his barking at 6 months and it has never stopped. And for the last year our neighbor has sent us hate mail, knocked on our door and cussed us out, left horrible voicemails, and even came over while we were gone took of his collar let him out of our property and sent him to the pound( that may sound crazy but trust me we have the proof of him doing it). Recently he started driving up and down our property line on his tractor kicking up dust and screaming profanities to my mother and sister who were home alone for about an hour. We have tried a lot. We have tried an average bark collar and it didnít work. We have tried spraying with the hose, or even opposite approaches like giving him a treat when there is reason to bark and politely calming him down when there isnít but still if we arenít outside with him he constantly barks. He can not be brought inside due to my younger brother having severe health issues (several organ transplants). We have brought him into the garage when barking at night but then we started losing livestock to mountain lions. Everywhere I look there is different opinions on what to do. Some say expensive e collars and others say that wonít ever work. I donít know what to do anymore but all I know is I canít get rid of him. He has become my best friend and I love him to death but our neighbor is starting to get very bad and my family is starting to get scared. I donít know what to do. Please help and give suggestions. I am in a unique situation but I can not ever imagine losing our Tundra. The only thing left I can think to do is save up enough money to move and find a place I can have him with me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cclement2 View Post
    Hi everyone I am new here. I have been trying to find out as much as I can and felt that I needed to make a post to best help with my situation. I have a year and a half old male pyr named Tundra. He is the sweetest dog and never aggressive but constantly barks through the day. He lives outside and we have about an acre fenced in for him but he is always barking and it is a loud bark. He started his barking at 6 months and it has never stopped. And for the last year our neighbor has sent us hate mail, knocked on our door and cussed us out, left horrible voicemails, and even came over while we were gone took of his collar let him out of our property and sent him to the pound( that may sound crazy but trust me we have the proof of him doing it). Recently he started driving up and down our property line on his tractor kicking up dust and screaming profanities to my mother and sister who were home alone for about an hour. We have tried a lot. We have tried an average bark collar and it didn’t work. We have tried spraying with the hose, or even opposite approaches like giving him a treat when there is reason to bark and politely calming him down when there isn’t but still if we aren’t outside with him he constantly barks. He can not be brought inside due to my younger brother having severe health issues (several organ transplants). We have brought him into the garage when barking at night but then we started losing livestock to mountain lions. Everywhere I look there is different opinions on what to do. Some say expensive e collars and others say that won’t ever work. I don’t know what to do anymore but all I know is I can’t get rid of him. He has become my best friend and I love him to death but our neighbor is starting to get very bad and my family is starting to get scared. I don’t know what to do. Please help and give suggestions. I am in a unique situation but I can not ever imagine losing our Tundra. The only thing left I can think to do is save up enough money to move and find a place I can have him with me.
    I am very sorry to hear this, Cclement2.

First of all, what a neighbor you have... He shouldn't be doing any of the things that he's doing. I understand his frustration but, acting the way he's acting doesn't solve anything. In fact, it makes things worse.

From your post, it is very possible that Tundra has separation anxiety issues. A behaviorist can help you on this matter. SebastianMom, a very knowledgeable poster on here, can give you some tips. Finding a behaviorist in your area to correct this problem seems like a good idea to me.

It looks like Tundra barks because he wants to be inside, which makes me think that your dog only barks when you're not around. You mention that you can't bring him inside due to your younger brother health issues. I am no expert in organ transplants, but as a researcher and doctor in brain tumors, I know a little bit about immunology. Nowadays most people that have received organ transplants are told to give up pets. I honestly don't know how I feel about that. The reason behind is that these patients like your brother suffer from weak immune systems, so they're more likely to get sick. Still, the chances of getting sick from your dog are very very very low.

Dogs that have been surgically spayed or neutered are less likely to roam, and therefore less likely to come down with diseases.
    I am assuming Tundra relives himself outside, so your brother getting sick from Tundra's poop is almost 0%. Puppies are more likely to scratch and bite humans and because of that we can contract infections. It doesn't sound like Tundra is an aggressive dog and he is approaching adulthood, so he will calm down eventually. Keeping the house pristine is always a great idea, but especially important when you have someone with a weak immune system. Wash your hands, clean the floors, etc..

So, I'm not going to tell you what you have to do because 1) I am not an immunologist and 2) I am not your brothers doctor, but keep in mind that dogs can live with people that have immunology illnesses.
    People that take allergy medicines, have a weaker immune system. People that take high doses of steroids, have a weaker immune system. People that have chronic diseases have a weaker immune system. Old people have in general weaker immune systems. And they don't give up their pets!!! Even people who are HIV+ still have pets.

I would ask your brother to ask his doctor how his immunoglobulin levels in blood, lymphocyte count and white blood cell count are. Unless he is severely immune suppressed, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of having a dog near him.

I am not a big fan e collars in general. Also, as you might know, GP can tolerate a big amount of pain, so in my opinion e collars are something that I wouldn't use.

Hope this helps

Mikel

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Cclement & Tundra.....I am sorry to read about this situation

I am wondering if another LGD would help Tundra settle down so he wouldn't think that he has to do all the work (barking), a seasoned female that is calm & has guarded before might help settle him down

Go talk with your neighbor.....don't let him come over steaming mad at you....go over...tell him the situation...tell him you are going to try to work on it...I know this sounds crazy, however people tend to respond best when they know they are being heard & understood & a solution is being worked on...he may even have suggestions ( I know this one is difficult...but I firmly believe in communication, if nothing else he won't be able to say you weren't responsive to his concerns)

last resort.....debarking...this is something you have to discuss with your family & your vet....I once had a dog that was debarked, he was a rescue, I thought it cruel & mentioned this to my vet....my vet responded...it's not the best solution..however it's better than euthanasia or even rehoming

(and lastly....if you are able to calmly talk with your neighbor...I would at some point in the conversation mention that a loud noisy tractor kicking up dust & threatening Tundras family is not the way to quiet him down!)

(also, if you have some sort of proof that he released Tundra from the property....& I assume that you have it posted "no trespassing" I would keep any evidence & documentation, and if the neighbor is non responsive to you....I wonder if it would be to your advantage to file a police report?)

keep us informed...hope this unfortunate situation gets settled...stay calm...stay positive...I know it's hard

Jewel`s Photos

I wish I have a magic solution for you but you've described an impossible situation. While I don't agree with your neighbor's actions, I can see why he is upset with you. He's had to put up with a year of noise nuisance without seeming anything being done by you to alleviate the situation. Not saying you've not tried but you said nothing you tried worked - thus that means your neighbor has lived through a year of constant barking with no end in sight.

The situation sounds impossible because one way to really help curb the barking is to put the dog inside but that is one option you say you will not, or cannot, do. Tundra might mature and become less barky... or he might not. Some pyrs work by barking.

I would second what Nancy says. Go meet the neighbor. Bring Tundra in at night is probably a good thing - depriving others of sleep is really really really not nice. I know you have a predator problem but perhaps you can alleviate that problem by hot-wiring your fence or something.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I have to agree that while I donít necessarily agree with your neighborís actions, I can absolutely see why heís upset. A yearís worth of non-stop Pyr barking would probably make me pretty crazy, too. I definitely think that it would be a good idea to extend an olive branch to the neighbor. If you donít feel comfortable talking to him in person, send him a nice card letting him know that you recognize that there is an issue, and that you are dedicated to solving it.

As far as solving this goes, itís going to take some work. You have got to find a way to be able to bring Tundra inside at night so that your neighbor can sleep. That may involve some pointed conversations both with your brotherís doctors, as well as with your vet. Likely, you will also have to find a way to keep Tundra out of certain parts of the house, particularly anywhere your brother might sleep. Other areas might need to be cleaned more often. Tundra is going to need to be groomed regularly, as well as kept 100% up-to-date on all of his vaccinations and monthly preventatives. He will need to go to the vet at the first sign of possible illness, in an attempt to keep him from possibly spreading an infection that your brother could catch.

As for the barking, this isnít something that you are simply going to train out of him. These dogs were bred to bark, and trying to punish him for it is both ineffective and cruel. You are going to have to try to figure out WHY he is barking, and then adjust the situation to minimize the barking. If I had to guess, I would say that there is a pretty good chance that Tundra is a higher-energy adolescent dog who could very well be barking out of boredom. If that is the case, it is going to be up to you and your family to give him exercise and mental stimulation throughout the day. I get that he has an acre enclosure to run around in, but heís not going to exercise himself. You all are going to have to start leash walking him outside of the enclosure, playing games with him, working on fun training exercises, anything to stimulate both his body and his mind.

If all else fails, you may need to consider rehoming Tundra for his sake. Angry neighbors sometimes resort to crazy things when it comes to barking dogs. Not too long ago, someone threw meatballs laced with rat poison over the fences of a few people in a close by Dallas Suburb. Excessive barking was thought to be the motive. Fortunately, the meatballs were found before they were eaten, so no dogs were hurt.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Not too long ago, someone threw meatballs laced with rat poison over the fences of a few people in a close by Dallas Suburb. Excessive barking was thought to be the motive. Fortunately, the meatballs were found before they were eaten, so no dogs were hurt.
    This is beyond awful