Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Puppy (New Member) marciofsilva's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    I will leave the analysis to others who are more educated in this field than I am...

You are doing so much for your guy (his name is Bolt?)
    Hi nick's spirit
    Yes, his name is Bolt. He is my pride and joy.

That I hope the vet will find the cause for this & he will heal & be a happy normal guy again!

One good thing is that his ears are being taken care of....I once had a Pyr with very bad ear problems & he was constantly in discomfort...had the vet deeply clean his ears & he never had a severe problem again...hope that's the case with your guy.
    the vet think that his dark ear wax, it is a fungical infection. And prescribed a medicine for it. Bolt does not like..even a bit. kkkk 10 drops each ear 2 times a day.

Thank you for keeping us informed

I also belong to a Facebook Great Pyrenees page....it's called Great Pyrenees Connection.....there are some very knowledgeable long time Pyr breeders & owners from all over the world...if you go on Facebook, you might want to join that group as well.
    Off course. I'll keep all informed about every step I take. And I'll join the facebook group.

Thank you

marciofsilva`s Photos

marciofsilva...i just watched your videos again....and from what I can see & hear, I think our Rudy does a similar "click" with his mouth.

He does it when he's trying to wake us up in the early hours of the morning (4 AM) to go sit out side....

But I am not physically there to see exactly what is happening with your guy
    Hi,
    I'm very inclined to believe that he's locking more because of the corticoid he's taking.
    why I think that? He increased the amount of locking after he started taking the medication.
    And yesterday I lay with him, I noticed that the greatest effort he makes to open his mouth is because she is dry. And since he does not drink a lot of water and the remedy retains liquid, I think that is the reason for so much blocking and these crackles that he gives when he tries to open his mouth.
    But its just a guess.
    Tomorrow, when I meet a vet. I'll ask her about this,

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by marciofsilva View Post
    As I could see the only test that eventually exceeded the reference was the creatine kinase (CK) that the recommended would be between 25 and 467, plus what appeared was 470.9 +.
    The rest seems to be Ok.
    From what I've read, the creatine kinase level is probably in response to his muscles locking. When his muscles lock up stiff, it leads to damage to the muscles and thus the creatine kinase level goes up to deal with that. Unfortunately this doesn't really tell you what is causing the muscles to lock up.

I know tetanus sounds ridiculous. But I mention it because there was a member on here several years back whose puppy came down with tetanus. Because tetanus is so rare, vets do not have experience with them. I am glad you insisted on asking for tests to be run anyway. Vets can't diagnose what they don't know, especially if they've not run the proper tests.

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    From what I've read, the creatine kinase level is probably in response to his muscles locking. When his muscles lock up stiff, it leads to damage to the muscles and thus the creatine kinase level goes up to deal with that. Unfortunately this doesn't really tell you what is causing the muscles to lock up.

I know tetanus sounds ridiculous. But I mention it because there was a member on here several years back whose puppy came down with tetanus. Because tetanus is so rare, vets do not have experience with them. I am glad you insisted on asking for tests to be run anyway. Vets can't diagnose what they don't know, especially if they've not run the proper tests.
    Hi jewel
    First, thank you for your tip on tetanus
    Of course we do not know what's going on or it's even tetanus.
    But if I can check then let's check it out
    What worries me most is the vet getting on trial and error, trying to get it right.
    I'm not going to let my dog become a lab test.
    So I always check what they say, what they medicate, I dont care if they like it or not. I dont give a ***t

And what is really cool is that nowadays we have a powerful tool to help us in everything the Internet.

I dont know how long they need to finish the tetanus report. but I'll wait
    Tomorrow morning I'll take bolt to see a neuro.
    Let's see what she's going to say.
    kind regards
    Marcio

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Marcio, welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear that your handsome boy is having such scary issues.

Does his behavior seem to indicate that he can sense when one of these jaw-locking episodes is going to start? Does he seem to be more dazed or tired than usual after a jaw-locking episode?

If at all possible, I would strongly recommend keeping a detailed journal of these events between now and the time that you take your sweet boy to see the neurologist. I would keep track of the time of day that these attacks are happening, what his behavior was like prior to an attack, what his behavior was like after an attack, what the weather was like, where he was in the house when the attack happened, anything you can think of that might (or might not) seem relevant. If he is having epileptic partial seizures, this information could help your neurologist.

If you or anyone that you know gets migraine attacks, then you probably know that they happen in 3 - 4 stages. Roughly 24 - 48 hours before a migraine headache starts, a person might feel more irritable than usual. They might be more sensitive to sound, light, smell, or touch than usual. They might be more hungry or thirsty than usual. This is the prodromal phase.

About an hour before a migraine headache begins, some people experience the aura phase. I know I sometimes get flashing lights. Other times, I develop a superhuman sense of smell.

The next phase is the headache phase, and when the pain finally subsides, there is the postdromal phase, where a person might feel absolutely exhausted.

Epileptic seizures also have those same 3 - 4 phases. (Epilepsy and Migraine are currently believed to be caused by the same chemical reactions in the brain, just affecting different receptors, which is why I brought up Migraine in the first place.) If you notice even small behavioral changes in your boy before and after one of his attacks, then it could be a good indicator of epileptic focal seizures. In many cases, those can be easily and inexpensively controlled with medication.

Please let us know what his blood work shows, as well as what the neurologist says. We are sending you lots of good energy in the hopes that both have good news!

I also wanted to add that like migraine, epilepsy can present at any age.

Hi SebastiansMom
    First of all .. sorry that I missed your reply.. I do not know how I did that.
    I took Bolt to see the neuro. And the vet said a lot ... but he discard neurological issues.
    He is more inclined to be an anatomical issue. more specifically his jaws. like a bad formation.
    I taped all what he said. and I need to hear again and put down the words and translate for you guys. I hope to be well succeeded. My english is not good enough.
    I scheduled an appointment with dentist. to see what happens.
    I'll get everything you said and pass to neuro. and see what he thinks about it.
    thank for your support.

P.S: I've already posted his blood test here.