Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member) marciofsilva's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

marciofsilva`s Photos

Default Mouth Issues.. I'm very worried.

Hi guys,
    My name is Marcio and I am from Brazil.

This is my 1st post, and I'm really sorry if I was put this post at wrong place.
    My dog has 3 years.. and I realize that sometimes he lock his jaws and cry.
    I did a research at this forum but with no success.
    Does anyone can light me? Is this happens with this breed?
    I am very worried about this. and more than that how can I solve it
    any thoughts?
    Is this a symptom of epilepsy? He does not have seizures.
    but suddenly He lock his jaws. sometimes with his tongue out , sometimes dont.
    Usually he can manage to unlock itself. but there were an episode that I had to put my fingers at his mouth to help him to unlock.
    what should I do?
    Thanks in advance
    P.S; Sorry for my bad english

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

welcome Marcio...and so sorry to read that this is happening to your boy.

This does not sound like something normal...for any breed...it sounds like you have to take him to a veterinarian in your area....you might even want to take a photo to show the vet

also, try to figure out when this happens....when he's exercised too much, just coming out of a sleep...after or before he eats...if he gets a rawhide treat does it happen.....anything you can think of that might relate or trigger this incident.

Please keep us informed on what you find out

Nancy & Rudy

P.S.....your English is just fine...!

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    welcome Marcio...and so sorry to read that this is happening to your boy.

This does not sound like something normal...for any breed...it sounds like you have to take him to a veterinarian in your area....you might even want to take a photo to show the vet

also, try to figure out when this happens....when he's exercised too much, just coming out of a sleep...after or before he eats...if he gets a rawhide treat does it happen.....anything you can think of that might relate or trigger this incident.

Please keep us informed on what you find out

Nancy & Rudy

P.S.....your English is just fine...!
    Hi my friend.

I confess that I am very very very worried.
    And I really do not know what kind of vet should I take him.
    Today he locked his jaws many times.
    I do not know if it happens a long time or if it's getting worse
    I do know when happens because every time he lock his jaws and I am very close of him. he cries.
    Usually he can unlock himself. But if he didnt? Or If I was far from him?
    I've tried to capture the moment that he locks with my cell.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ah-1x578q_TgiepRGY1bXAVkx_OfNQ

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ah-1x578q_TgiepTk3i-KGu9xXs5VQ

Sometimes he lock his jaws with tongue out. sometimes dont

A two days ago we took him to veterinarian . to run blood tests. and I tried to explain to veterinarian what's going on.
    but she does not know about great pyr physiology.. there are few dogs like mine here in Brazil
    I am waiting for her report about the blood test we did.
    Thank you very much for your kind words
    EDIT:
    I decided to consult a neurologist now.
    I ve talked this morning with a general vet and she told me that symptoms can be a local seizures. Sometimes seizures can appear in many ways. like locking his jaws. And I need to take him to a neuro. asap
    Wish me luck.

Jewel`s Photos

How long has these incidents been going on? If he’s always had these incidents since he was very young, it could be a neurological disorder. If these incidents appeared suddenly recently it could be something he caught... tetanus comes to mind because you describe it as lockjaw.

Pyrs aren’t different than other dogs physiologically. What you are describing is not a common breed disorder.

Please let us know what the neurologist says.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Marcio, welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear that your handsome boy is having such scary issues.

Does his behavior seem to indicate that he can sense when one of these jaw-locking episodes is going to start? Does he seem to be more dazed or tired than usual after a jaw-locking episode?

If at all possible, I would strongly recommend keeping a detailed journal of these events between now and the time that you take your sweet boy to see the neurologist. I would keep track of the time of day that these attacks are happening, what his behavior was like prior to an attack, what his behavior was like after an attack, what the weather was like, where he was in the house when the attack happened, anything you can think of that might (or might not) seem relevant. If he is having epileptic partial seizures, this information could help your neurologist.

If you or anyone that you know gets migraine attacks, then you probably know that they happen in 3 - 4 stages. Roughly 24 - 48 hours before a migraine headache starts, a person might feel more irritable than usual. They might be more sensitive to sound, light, smell, or touch than usual. They might be more hungry or thirsty than usual. This is the prodromal phase.

About an hour before a migraine headache begins, some people experience the aura phase. I know I sometimes get flashing lights. Other times, I develop a superhuman sense of smell.

The next phase is the headache phase, and when the pain finally subsides, there is the postdromal phase, where a person might feel absolutely exhausted.

Epileptic seizures also have those same 3 - 4 phases. (Epilepsy and Migraine are currently believed to be caused by the same chemical reactions in the brain, just affecting different receptors, which is why I brought up Migraine in the first place.) If you notice even small behavioral changes in your boy before and after one of his attacks, then it could be a good indicator of epileptic focal seizures. In many cases, those can be easily and inexpensively controlled with medication.

Please let us know what his blood work shows, as well as what the neurologist says. We are sending you lots of good energy in the hopes that both have good news!

I also wanted to add that like migraine, epilepsy can present at any age.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    How long has these incidents been going on? If heís always had these incidents since he was very young, it could be a neurological disorder. If these incidents appeared suddenly recently it could be something he caught... tetanus comes to mind because you describe it as lockjaw.

Pyrs arenít different than other dogs physiologically. What you are describing is not a common breed disorder.

Please let us know what the neurologist says.
    Hi..
    I've never seen this behavior before.
    The dog belongs to me and my sister. but for 2 years I had to live away from they. work stuff
    And I have lived with him since last one year and half
    Unfortunately I discovered that she did not give him all the vaccines he needs every year. But now everything is OK. (you guys can not imagine how pissed I was)
    I really do not know what's going on.
    Sometimes I think this can be a problem with your jaws. Because. I saw him locking his jaws drinking water. or eating

Unfortunately the neurologist can not attend him today. She had personal problems to solve.
    But she asked for another blood test. and when I arrived at the clinic I asked to include whatever it takes to check the possibility of the dog being or having had a tetanus in that blood test.
    The result will be ready tomorrow.
    On Monday, I'll take you to a neurologist and see what she thinks.
    But she had dismissed the possibility of being Tetanus. I dont.
    Last Wednesday, when I took the dog to the vet. I told to the vet to check the issue about his jaws, and check his breath.
    I had been noticing that sometimes, his breathing is heavy. or suddenly he is relaxed and starts to breathe hard.
    And another thing that I noticed was a very dark ear wax.
    The veterinarian requested a chest x-ray and trachea and said that dark wax is probably a fungal inflammation.

On x-ray, she detected a possible mild bronchopathy

She prescribed otoguard for the ear and predestine to treat his bronchopathy.
    I think it was just coincidence, but once he started taking these medications, the locking episodes increased.
    But I do not know if this can be related to the remedies, but according to the general veterinarian has no relation. Or if his condition is getting worse
    I'll translate the exam report I made a two days ago. with the radiography.

Plain radiographs in the right lateral, left, and ventro-dorsal lateral positions of the thoracic region
    reveal:
    - Bone structures: no significant changes at the time of examination;
    - Diaphragm: with its defined limit, having its dome and cruras maintained;
    - Pleural space: no changes;
    - Mediastinum: no changes;
    - Trachea: with its path and diameter maintained;
    - Esophageal topography: no changes;
    - Cardiac silhouette: presenting atypical-basilar axis and cardiac waist with dimensions within the
    normality for size and age of the animal;
    - Aorta: no change;
    - Cava Caudal vein: no change;
    - Vascular pattern: maintaining density and volume within normality;
    - Pulmonary pattern: discrete bronchial pattern of diffuse distribution, suggesting mild bronchopathy;

That is it.. for now.
    I'll put more information asap.
    Thank you for your help.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sending you so much good energy. Whatever is going on with your sweet, handsome boy, I hope that it is easily treatable.

I look forward to hearing what the blood tests and the neurologist say.

Your Pyr is lucky to have you looking out for him.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

marciofsilva`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Sending you so much good energy. Whatever is going on with your sweet, handsome boy, I hope that it is easily treatable.

I look forward to hearing what the blood tests and the neurologist say.

Your Pyr is lucky to have you looking out for him.

First of all, thank you for your lovely words.

I received the blood tests now. I'll put the links here. If anyone can take a look ..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k6...BfU2HgZyRASXb5
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tb...p6Cvhz574TzAm6
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RJ...BAsNOCFTDf487y

Although these tests are in Portuguese. I believe the numbers can show for you. If there is something to worry about or not.
    Or if someone did blood tests and can tell me if something in my tests means anything.
    As I could see the only test that eventually exceeded the reference was the creatine kinase (CK) that the recommended would be between 25 and 467, plus what appeared was 470.9 +.
    The rest seems to be Ok.
    But I do not know what the physiology of the great Pyrenees is like. The fact that Ok can be a not Ok. or say .. this Ok means something to worry about

The tetanus test will take longer to get ready.

I think I figured out why the dog increased the lock in his jaws.
    He does not drink much water. When he does, he drinks a lot. but not always all day. If you know what I mean.
    The veterinarian prescribes a corticoid. And I believe that is the problem.
    Corticoids tend to retain liquid. And my dog does not drink water always.
    So I think that the medicine left his mouth more dry. so. he lock more often his jaws.
    But it's just a thought that I had. I am not sure about that.

if anyone can help.
    thanks in advance

I will leave the analysis to others who are more educated in this field than I am...

You are doing so much for your guy (his name is Bolt?)
    That I hope the vet will find the cause for this & he will heal & be a happy normal guy again!

One good thing is that his ears are being taken care of....I once had a Pyr with very bad ear problems & he was constantly in discomfort...had the vet deeply clean his ears & he never had a severe problem again...hope that's the case with your guy.

Thank you for keeping us informed

I also belong to a Facebook Great Pyrenees page....it's called Great Pyrenees Connection.....there are some very knowledgeable long time Pyr breeders & owners from all over the world...if you go on Facebook, you might want to join that group as well.

marciofsilva...i just watched your videos again....and from what I can see & hear, I think our Rudy does a similar "click" with his mouth.

He does it when he's trying to wake us up in the early hours of the morning (4 AM) to go sit out side....

But I am not physically there to see exactly what is happening with your guy