Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Grizz`s Photos

Default Help with our new Rescue Grizz

Hey there guys! We just recently adopted a Pyr/mix (he looks a lot like a Pyr but we are unsure what the other mix could be). We got him on June 9th and he came with no food or anything. So clearly any food we gave him would be a change in his diet. Not to mention the stress.
    He was found as a stray, then taken to a pound. Then taken to the vet to be fixed, then off to a foster home until he made his trip to us in Ontario, Canada from Kentucky. So yes, he has been stressed too. We have been feeding him the same thing since the day we got him. The first 2 days he barely ate. He drank lots of water though so we weren't too concerned. Plus when we got him he had some runny-ish stools (they had shape, sorry if this is too much information) After a solid 3 days of walks/dog parks/playing with some friends dogs though he was up to eating like a champ.
    However now he has had diarrhea for 3 days. This mornings stool showed some blood in it. When we contacted the vet, he told us that it could be due to stress and because he shows no other signs of being in pain he assumes it is due to the stress and the diet change.
    Has anyone else experienced this? I am super concerned for the little man. Although he doesn't appear to be in pain or anything, he has been having at least one accident a day for the past 2 days.
    Does anyone have any advice for his diet?
    Thanks so much in advance!

Grizz's Mom

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Grizz & family...and thank you for giving this boy a safe & comforting place to call home.

how old is Grizz....approximately?

you could add a bit of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) about 1 tablespoon per meal....see if that helps firm up his stools

also, whenever my dogs showed signs of stress like this, I did with hold meals for 24 hours...just to get their systems to settle...it would be worthwhile calling the vet again & just double check to see what the vet's thoughts are on the with holding food & pumpkin

please keep us informed...and photos whenever you get a chance!!!

Nancy & Rudy

Grizz`s Photos

Hey there!

Grizz is approximately 2 years old.
    Thanks for the advice on the pumpkin! I gave him some of that with his food yesterday. We also talked to the pet store where we got the food and switched him to a food with same ingredients but a different protein. He was getting beef before, now we are trying lamb.
    Last night he had an accident in his crate but it was still very soupy. Today on our second morning walk though he managed to have a poop that had a bit of shape to it and no blood! Not that he really wanted to go for a walk in the rain but duty calls!

will be interested to know if switching to the lamb formula helps...it could be that what ever he was eating before might have not been very nutritious...and a good quality food upset his system for awhile...hope he continues to get better

thanks for the update

Grizz`s Photos

So I had to take Grizz to the vet yesterday. After a couple days with bloody stool I decided that he should get checked out. The vet is running a stool sample but for now has given him some antibiotics and probiotics. He is on the antibiotics for 5 days and probiotics for 30. Thankfully he loves cat food so when I put the antibiotics in the cat food he thinks it is a treat! The vet assumes it's a gastrointestinal infection. There is a chance that he has had an upset stomach for months due to being a stray. Besides that though the vet gave him a clean bill of health. Grizz gave him lots of kisses. The vet also does not think he's a Pyr/Golden mix like we were told. He looks mostly Pyr but has some black fur in his mane, not a trait of Golden's. But he's only 65 lbs so he's small for a Pyr.
    But he had no incidents in the crate overnight and is already appearing to have more energy! Thanks so much for the advice!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    So I had to take Grizz to the vet yesterday. After a couple days with bloody stool I decided that he should get checked out. The vet is running a stool sample but for now has given him some antibiotics and probiotics. He is on the antibiotics for 5 days and probiotics for 30. Thankfully he loves cat food so when I put the antibiotics in the cat food he thinks it is a treat! The vet assumes it's a gastrointestinal infection. There is a chance that he has had an upset stomach for months due to being a stray. Besides that though the vet gave him a clean bill of health. Grizz gave him lots of kisses. The vet also does not think he's a Pyr/Golden mix like we were told. He looks mostly Pyr but has some black fur in his mane, not a trait of Golden's. But he's only 65 lbs so he's small for a Pyr.
    But he had no incidents in the crate overnight and is already appearing to have more energy! Thanks so much for the advice!
    Thank you for the update!

let us know if the vet finds anything in the sample....glad you took him in & that maybe he's on his way to feeling better now!

Pyr's can have black/grey in their fur...Rudy has several spots that are dark all the way down to his skin

Grizz' weight might be due to his intestinal problem...and the fact he probably didn't get very nutritious food while out on the streets...but if the vet thinks he looks to be in good shape & health...keep him thin...it's really better for him in the long run