Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

When I had my Pyr x Aussie girl, she was learning some specialized commands. We worked on "take it" by associating the command with her taking a treat from my hand to start. She already knew "leave it" so we were able to build on her not getting the treat when I said "leave it" and her taking the treat when I sad "take it". We then graduated to toys and then objects that were unrelated to her. She learned very fast thanks to the Aussie side. I used a clicker so I could reinforce her for incremental steps of progress along the way.

You're doing an amazing job with Kit, especially given her age. No suggestions about the vocalizing problem. I have the same issue with Rona. It's her way of expressing excitement but I can't tell you how many people are unable to tell the difference between a dog's happy yowly growly talk and a growling rabid dog that's about to attack them...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Antonia, that is exactly how we teach Kit to 'take it'. Lucky's agility instructor taught it to us like that. She only takes the treats but not any objects lol. Also, I've discovered that not teaching Kit release just makes her do a behavior over and over again so she gets more treats. Kit is trying to outsmart me. We will eventually get there. Maybe we just need more practice.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Maybe we just need more practice.
    Um, yes, that. Lots of that. But only in short sessions and end before the fun runs out.
    Don't rush anything. Foundation work is absolutely critical.

Ren is in agility training. I work with him when I can in this heat. The stuff we practice he does really well. The stuff we haven't been practicing it's obvious we've not been practicing... I am in no hurry. I am doing what I can to make it fun for him so he'll stay interested.

snow0160`s Photos

Pyrs can do agility? Lucky is currently in an agility class but it is tremendously HOT! I might enroll Kit when fall rolls around. I can't really imagine Kit doing agility. She is very slow moving and prone to rolling over and not moving. LOL

Jewel`s Photos

Antonia, that is exactly how we teach Kit to 'take it'. Lucky's agility instructor taught it to us like that. She only takes the treats but not any objects lol. Also, I've discovered that not teaching Kit release just makes her do a behavior over and over again so she gets more treats. Kit is trying to outsmart me. We will eventually get there. Maybe we just need more practice.
    I'm gonna have to try Sr. Antonia's method on Ren. Ren will eventually compete in obedience. While the novice level obedience doesn't require picking up an object, if we have any ambition to go beyond a CD, he'll have to learn how to pick up an object.

Pyrs can do agility?
    Ah, well, that's kinda a loaded question... The answer is sort of,.... yes, but it requires a pyr with a particular temperament and a handler who is willing to suffer through public humiliation... repeatedly... If one happens to have a high spirited pyr who is willing to humor its human, and the human just so happens to have no shame... then it's possible... after a LOT of work and really high value treats...

If one can develop thick enough skin to swallow her pride with this type of performance...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gctGx1X763M

then with little pride and enough patience... it's pretty cool when the pyr finally agrees to cooperate...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBk_7GNnbs8

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Jewel, I think both of those performances were outstanding! First one makes me laugh so much. Ru would seriously LOVE agility. She is my best with obedience and her movement is really amazing. Too bad her mommy is too crippled to run around with her!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Jewel, I agree with Antonia. Both of those performances are far beyond what either of my two would tolerate from me. Chester would shut down from all of the chaos of a trial atmosphere, and Sebastian would either give me special hugs, or cheerfully exit the ring and make a beeline for the closest concession stand.

I may work on teaching “take it” to Chester. He is cooperative and sweet enough that I think he might be able to learn to put his toys away on cue. I think he would enjoy the learning process, and that learning a new task would help build his confidence even beyond where he is now. I really should start working on obedience with him more, now that we have a nice grassy place to work. I think Sebastian would be fine lounging inside and soaking up the A/C while Chester and I worked.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Road Dawg

LOL, I was watching a dog jet out of the pet store today and realized Maximus has never moved that fast, ever. Even when he runs, there is a clear air of "I will get there when I get there, and that will be fine." There is an indoor agility class he can do after he finishes advanced manners, and I think he would enjoy. I am not fast enough to do agility with a border collie, anyway. He loves treats and attention, he seems proud to learn new things, and I suspect he will benefit from regular reminders of our pack's hierarchy.

snow0160`s Photos

Jewel! The video you sent was absolutely amazing. The weave made me smile. Kit really enjoyed the video too! I can now see her doing this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5F6B9AF-4634-497A-A4B1-20874F0BD71B.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	9721

snow0160`s Photos

Good news, I taught Kit take it. I did it with toys. I’m very happy!