Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Exclamation Rescue PRY female food aggression

I rescued my PYR from the pound , they had listed her as a Labadoodle, turn out after taking her to Vet and others she happens to be a PYR! We already have a 15yr old Rat Terrier and 7 yr old Min Pin. I understand Pack aggression but we are dealing with food aggression and at this point she is dead serious about her food she is growling ,showing her teeth and has taken down both dogs ! Bitten my adult daughter , it was suggested that I hand feed her which I have been doing for about a week she has no issue eating from my hand but as of today if she is not hand feed she is like wild animal , at this point I am thing she needs to be rehomed or put down. She is not feed with the other dogs when they have all eaten the bowls are put away, I even have a trainer coming in today but at this point I am not sure they will have any answers Help !,,,she will see the older dog and just jump on her for being in the room!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Faith...I am sorry to read this...how long have you had this girl?

the incident regarding the bite of your adult daughter, can you go into more detail...was it over food?

she may need to be in a home where she is an only dog....so that may be an option for you

in regards to the "trainer"...is this person also a behaviorist?....you want/need someone who can read your Pyr's body language and help with suggestions to redirect her behavior...or give you an honest opinion as to whether this is a good fit for you, her & your family.

Please keep us informed

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a scary issue with your girl.

In many cases, Resource Guarding issues CAN be managed and treated. I would strongly advise you to reach out to this group, https://beyondthedogtraining.com, and try to schedule an appointment with their CAAB, Dr. Echterling-Savage.

In the meantime, if your girl is crate trained, I would have her go to her crate for all meals, long-lasting chews, and high-value treats. If a crate isnít her thing, I would give her all of the aforementioned in a separate enclosed area away from anyone she may perceive to be a ďthreatĒ - other dogs, your daughter, etc. Do not let her out until all dogs are finished eating. If you are free-feeding, you will need to switch to scheduled meals twice a day.

If you havenít already, start all three dogs on the Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) protocol. It is also known as Learn to Earn (Earn to Learn?) and Say Please. Get everyone in the home on board. This will help establish the humans in your family as the benevolent leaders who are willing to share resources in exchange for good behavior.

If anyone tries to tell you to practice sticking your hand in her food or taking her food away from her while she is eating, please run screaming far away from them and everything they might be saying. These methods have an excellent chance of backfiring spectacularly, and will likely teach her that she needs to guard her food even more carefully, as everyone is out to get it.

As a final note, I will add that with her history of resource guarding, if you give your dogs rawhide chews, now would be a good time to find a non-rawhide substitute. For some reason, a whole lot of dogs who donít normally guard resources will fight to the death over a rawhide. My Sebastian is that way.

Keep in mind that treating any behavioral issue is a marathon, not a sprint. There are no quick-fixes, and no guarantees. Some days are bound to be better than others. Sebastian, Chester, and I wish you and your girl many good days ahead. Please keep us posted.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I am sorry to read this. What a traumatic experience for your daughter. I am very sorry.

I would find a behaviorist in your area. In the meantime, I would feed each dog in different rooms. If not possible, I would let the PYR out while the Terrier and the Min Pin are eating and the other way around. Also, no access to food 24/7. Things will get better if you find out what's causing this behavior. I emphasize the idea of having a behaviorist to study your case.

I am guessing she is not in pain nor she has shown any signs of being sick? PYR are great at hiding illnesses.

"she needs to be rehomed" - Maybe.
    "or put down" absolutely not.

If your daughter got bitten when your Pyr was eating, then I would perhaps rule out any pain caused by health issues.

If your daughter got bitten when there was no food involved, then tell us when that happened and everything that you can remember.

- Mikel

Sorry that this is my third post, but I misread your post.

I see that she is not being fed with the other dogs, but she still shows aggressiveness towards the other dogs.

If I were you, and before the behaviorist tries to better understand what's going on, I would feed them the three dogs at the same time in different areas of the house and don't leave any available food in common areas. No food = no aggression.

My mom's dog - who wasn't a Pyr - showed some food aggression when he was a puppy, and we found out that the dog was very stressed out. We also got our dog from the pound. His first couple of weeks in the house were very rough for all of us. For a while, we put his food in kongs, cupcakes trays and other toys so he could play and release some of his stress. He calmed out a lot. He loved it. It was a good way to diminish his stress levels that were causing his food aggression (and other issues). After a while, when he settled down, he was just happier in general and never showed any food aggression against the other dog or humans. Even now you can pet him while he's eating.

Things usually get better with patience

I want to thank each and everyone of you for the wonderful advice , prior to my posting my note I had scheduled a training session with a husband wife team and they came out today and we worked on her behavior of guarding her food by the time they left I could see the difference just that one session they left us some home work itís not going to be easy but I know we will be successful .Keep you posted🐾🐾🐾

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Faith...that's good news....did they happen to say or see your Pyr (her name?) be aggressive towards the older terrier? Just wondered if they had & if they saw any body language that could indicate her aggression.

Things take time.....but so glad to hear that you are willing to help this girl overcome this issue & be a well mannered part of your family

keep us informed on your progress!