Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default How much should I be feeding my 4 month old Pyreneese

I have a 4 month old Pyrenees. I just want to make sure he is getting enough food. all sites say different. I am giving him dry puppy food 3 times a day about 1 1/2 cups. He eats very well. but he is growing so fast and I don't want him to not get enough food.

Jewel`s Photos

Is that 1.5 cups each meal aggregating 4.5 cups/day or 1.5 cups total a day? Also, at 4 months you can cut the feeding to twice a day instead of 3 times.

If it's 4.5 cups/day he's getting enough to eat at this age. You do NOT want to overfeed giant breed pups. The more you feed the more you are risking his body growing faster than necessary. It is not good to encourage fast growth - potentially lead to painful skeletal issues.

If you're feeding 1.5 total a day, that is a bit low for a pyr pup at 4 months. I would suggest double that amount and see how he does. When Ren was 4 months old, I offered 4 cups (at 2 cups twice a day) but he didn't always eat everything.

Are you feeding a large breed formula puppy food? If not, you need to switch immediately to a large breed formula.

You gauge whether he's eating enough by his body condition, not by how quickly he grows. You don't want to have a chunky monkey puppy. You should be able to feel his ribs under a thin layer of flesh. If you can count each rib without pressing down, you can feed more. If you can't feel the ribs, you should cut back.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for your help.