Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 7 month old and getting a new puppy

this is my first post although my wife and I have spent much time comparing our Daisy with others on the website. Daisy is 6 months old 25 inches to the withers and almost 70 lbs. Vet says she is very very healthy. Such a phenomenal pup and breed. We are getting a male in july, same breeder, we are not going to breed them but we are wondering how Daisy will react to the new puppy. We are moving to Northern Idaho soon and thought it a good idea to have 2 Pyrenees. Daisy pretty much does what she wants, why, she is a well mannered well behaved loving pup that seems to just know what is allowed and what is not. I could write a novel on her and how she treats us but I`m sure so could all of you.
    Thanks

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Welcome redhogg and Daisy! Generally, LGD breeds do really well with puppies, especially if you get one of the opposite ***. You may want to implement plans to do separate feeding of meals and special treats to eliminate any possibility of resource guarding developing. My guess is that Daisy is going to LOVE having a little brother to play with. All my dogs, both Pyrs and Kangals, have always been happier with another dog that understands them and likes to play the same wild games. Double the trouble and double the love! Would love to see pictures of Daisy and her little brother when you get him!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome redhogg & Daisy...

I agree that most Pyr's Daisy's age are delighted to have a new playmate....and one of the opposite gender is an excellent idea.

My Pyr's have usually been 2-4 years old when a new pup is introduced....so mine were very miffed to have a "youngster" hanging around them all the time, wanting to be just like the senior Pyr.....with the senior Pyr just wanting the nipping little annoying one away from them! It usually took my senior about a month to accept the newbie.

Moving to Northern Idaho....Daisy might know to stay close now....but with a partner, she may want to explore...will you have a fenced off area for them?

And don't be surprised if the new guy comes up being totally different from Daisy....that's just the way they are....just like humans, we are all different.

We got our first Pyr from a breeder in Hayden Lake Idaho....we named her Spirit

Photos when you get a chance...please!!!

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

Pups usually welcome having a playmate. Also, if the new guy is from the same breeder, the breeder should have an idea of how their line is about accepting new friends.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

ahh I love puppies but a teenager and a puppy is something I would be terrified of. You are brave. I did it only because my doodle was already really well trained. Teenage LGD are in a league of their own. They have the best stories. If you have two outdoor LGDs, then it would be easy to do with a lot of land.