Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default traveling with a pry

Greetings, thought I would share our learning process with our female great pyrenees who is 3 1/2 yrs. We recently took her, Lady on a road trip with our 8 1/2 yr old male standard poodle, Data. We're older folk and have always had lab mixes and or standard poodles. We have always traveled with our buddies. I packed plenty of water, food and treats. I really got worries on day 3 when they both really hadn't eaten and Lady hadn't pooped!!! Then Lady decided to pee in the hotel room and I saw blood in the urine! I freaked and called our vet, they said take her in. I located a vet in the state that we were visiting and took her in. $700 later, it appeared that it was all due to the stress of traveling. They gave us antibiotics, just in case....probiotics, special canned food. They had done blood tests, urine tests and xrays. All turned out normal. On day 4 she was almost back to normal. We ended up cutting the visit short so we here home on day 5. She normal and fine, whew! I'll be giving the local vet all her results, just in case. The whole ordeal was very concerning, then I had people telling me that you shouldn't take prys on trips! She did have fun, but I think we should have started with short overnight trips 1st. Even us old timers can still learn. I have more funny stories about our learning curve with a pyr, but I'll save those for later. Hope this helps someone planning to travel!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Spiritalker & family!!!

We traveled with our Pyr's often....from Alaska to Arizona...on a ferry where they were in our car below on the car deck with only deck walking potty breaks every 4 hours...to driving the whole way, stopping when ever we saw a chance to let them out to stretch.

I found that my female did not want to eat in the mornings....she would accept a treat, but that was it....
    on the ferry we never over fed, as they were too stressed to eat or drink too much

our solution was....minimal food & water in the mornings....a dog treat mid afternoon, usually followed by a good drink of water...and the usual evening meal (1 cup dry to 1 TBSPN wet)

the funniest thing we encountered was when we were traveling in a motor coach (no pop outs) and we had 2 Aussies & 2 Pyr's...the look on peoples faces as we exited the coach was hilarious...almost as if they were seeing clowns coming out of a small car!

We go down to Florida every year from NY by car with both our dogs (Pyr/Aussie and beagle/ACD). Only the first time when our Pyr was a small puppy did he have issues (got carsick and needed to bring him to the vet for boarding). Every year after that never any issues( going on 6 years). They drink and walk when we stop for gas and food, and they eat 2x during the 18-20 hour trip. They mostly sleep (usually on top of my daughter who is about 10 lbs lighter that the big guy) but love watching the traffic when up.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Hi spirittalker
    I have done alot of traveling with my pyr (jazzy) who is 3.5 also and jack prior to the end of his life. If there ever was a dog dedicated to routine it is the great pyr. We even bought a class c motorhome so they could always go with us. i do a couple of things. stock up on favorite treat so you have it when traveling. she will get half a biscuit for a pee and the other half if she poops. i add half a can of wet food to 2 cups of dry food to make dinner exciting in the evening only between 7pm and 9pm. she does not get any wet food at home and she is free fed. i also pick up maybe once a week grilled chicken nuggets to hand feed and also plain vanilla frozen yogurt. i try to make travel the most exciting thing ever. lots of walks to let her investigate new surroundings. these seem to work for me. from time to time jazzy will go for up to 36 hours without a poop on the road but it usually is about 16 to 24 hours. she will pee though and i keep plenty of fresh water available for her. we just got back from 3 weeks in the mountains.
    patrick

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all for the great stories and advice!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Pyr_In_Manhattan's Avatar

Pyr_In_Manhattan`s Photos

I travel with my girl a few times a year. Here's what I've learned:

1. Hotel rooms are a terrible idea. They hate the people constantly running around. Try to rent a house off of AirBnB or get a KOA cabin or something.

2. Hopefully they're used to travelling in the car generally. Mine was horribly car sick as a puppy, until we deliberately drove with her every single day. Eventually she grew to love it.

3. White noise. Rain sounds, whatever works for you.

Combo of these three and we do well these days. She actually looks forward to road trips, believe it or not.