Thread: I need help

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default I need help

I have a 1 y/o great pyr named Atlas. Lately he has been very distructive and disobedient. And I need some serious help controlling him. I try and take him on walks and hikes but he just tugs me around and completely ignores me, I can get him to play fetch for a short time but he gets bored, also he plays tug of war occasionally. What I really need are some tips for him to listen to me. I have always been told to not repeat commands more than once, but what do I do when I say it and he doesn’t listen? I feel like great pyrs are so different than any other breed so everything I read just doesn’t fit my circumstances. So basically, any obedience tips and training ideas I could try would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Waverunner & Atlas....sounds like you & he need to figure out how to get some of his excess energy burned off.

Take him to a class, learn how to use a good leash...gentle leader...etc. to stop him form tugging...the class will help train you & him to become a better team...

Pyr's don't play "fetch" as you found out...they get bored
    Pyr's really don't "listen" either...they have been bred for years to "think" independently...to make decisions on their own...so your "request' will be met by Atlas "thinking"....why the request, how will it benefit the circumstance...what will the outcome be? I know it sounds goofy...byt they do have a thought process

So...basically, find a good trainer that knows Livestock Guarding Breeds that can work with the both of you

As the ole saying goes...a tired dog is a good dog!....And....the more time, energy & patience you put into your dog...the better team you will become

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Waverunner22 View Post
    I feel like great pyrs are so different than any other breed so everything
    Lol, it is well known that pyrs aren't the same as biddable breeds that are bred to listen to humans. They aren't wired to listen to humans. That's a reason you don't see them excel in obedience rings. But that is entirely different than a pyr learning rules and boundaries.

What you are describing sounds like a teenager who is busting out of his skin with too much energy. It's pretty hard to train a dog, especially a puppy, if it doesn't have adequate activities to drain its energy. While generally speaking pyrs aren't considered high energy, some dogs are very high spirited and needs more exercise than an average pyr. I had one of those. I was lucky that when I got her, I had a young male pyr mix who could drain her energy to make her manageable.

Are there dog parks you can take Atlas to? Or doggy daycare? Playing with other dogs is a very good way to drain energy.

here are different tools available to control pulling. Don't know if you've used different ones. Head halter is one that many have used with good results to control a strong puller. But you must carefully read instructions on how to use a head collar so that you do not cause sever damage to the dog's neck. Used properly the head halter could be very effective.

Prong collar is effective for many as well. But a prong also must be used properly.

But I think it is best if you can find a trainer who can work with you, someone who understands the proper use of tools. Enrolling him in class would also be helpful in draining his mental energy.

Puppy (New Member)

I do have some dog parks around, I took him one time not to long ago and he seemed extremely stressed out, he does very well with one on one, but I think the dog park is a lot to handle and is going to take some getting used to. He pretty much just ran away from anything that got to close. I am wondering if this means I shouldn’t take him to the dog park though? I was thinking that he would just get used to it eventually, but I also don’t want to scar him and make him more fearful of other dogs..