Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Hey everyone,

So we finished our 2nd round of obedience. Judge did really well! Its paying of both in the ring, at home and away from home. His come heres are surprisingly working really well! This surprises me a lot as the breed isnt really known for its recall lol. His stays have been the MOST trying parts which again surprised me as he is pretty lazy. You would think after doing lap after lap in a circle around a ring all you would want to do is sit or lay down and take a breather for a couple minutes! Noooope not Judge hed rather get up and go sniff a traffic cone or go see one of his classmates and be the BIGGEST distraction EVER.

His tested score for the heeling commands was great! He only had 2 points taken away. I was extatic as last time he pulled me all around the ring and we had 11 points taken away.. so vast improvement for sure. He failed both his stat tests. I was hoping for at least 1 of them to be a pass but oh well just more room for improvement the trainer said if he had passed both his stay tests he would have been considered advanced class as he would have had a 198/200.

All in all I am super glad I decided to do obedience with Judge. It gets us out of the house, social and productive. I would definitely suggest anyone taking a class if you have a descent trainer and can afford it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

So proud of Judge!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

love your positive outlook!!!

I'm sure it helps Judge to be calm & comfortable

Keep up the good work team Judge!!!

cooltouch`s Photos

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, Kholts. I'm still new to this forum and relatively new to Pyrs -- my pup's 4-1/2 months old now. So, care to give us a late update of how the classes went?

I'm in the middle of reading up on the various obedience schools and programs being offered locally and haven't made my mind up yet. I think I'm gonna want to visit a few that seem most interesting before I (we) finally make up my (our) mind(s). All the parens because the wife will definitely be part of the decision-making process. I hope whoever we decide on, they have the same level of intuitive abilities that your instructor has.
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    You would think after doing lap after lap in a circle around a ring all you would want to do is sit or lay down and take a breather for a couple minutes! Noooope not Judge hed rather get up and go sniff a traffic cone or go see one of his classmates and be the BIGGEST distraction EVER.
    LOL! His being intact may very well contribute partially to that curiosity. Intact males get distracted rather easily.... that and him being a LGD wired to always scan his surroundings.

So happy for you two's progress. It is really a lot of fun to work with one's dog.

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, Kholts. I'm still new to this forum and relatively new to Pyrs -- my pup's 4-1/2 months old now. So, care to give us a late update of how the classes went?
    Hello cool touch! i sure can give you an update. Were you wanting to know how well Judge retained the training or more how the classes were structured and what was learned?

I would most definitely consider a class and I would start as soon as you can since yours is still a young pup. After all it is easier physically to handle a dog that is under 100lbs. Its also never too early to teach a puppy proper leash manners either and begginer obedience classes focuses on just that. I honestly wished I started the classes with Judge when he was around the 6 month mark. I believe the whole teaching experience would have went a lot smoother as he would have still been in his more eager to please sponge stage than the teenage aingst stage that I had to deal with. It literally made me want to bang my head against the nearest wall at times lol.

Its a good idea to look around and see if you can sit in on the trainers teaching a class if you can. It will give you an idea on their training style before you go ahead and pay. Also ALWAYS remember that it is YOUR dog and you have the right to refuse a training technique that is given to you if you are not compfortable with it.