Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Judge in Obedience class.

Hey everyone,

I signed Judge up for an obedience class. It’s all levels/ages and all breeds mixed together. He’s doing alright with training 1 on 1 as far as at the house and on walks in our neighbourhood but I noticed he is super A.D.D (pyr thing I know) when we are in public so I figured we needed a class in a neutral as well as distracting area.

We had our first class yesterday. It’s at the trainers house. She’s located in the country. She is a Siberian husky breeder who does confirmation, agility as well as dog sledding with her dogs. She also teaches competitive obedience, confirmation, rally etc.

When we got there Judge was overly excited. So many sights, sounds and smells he was overwhelmed to say the least. He was trying to pull me everywhere! I was getting him in check the best I could before class started. The trainer asked me if we could use a pinch collar to start off just to “soften him up” so he would be more receptive to the correction in his choke collar. She explained the proper use to me as “you won’t be giving him a correction. He will be correcting himself. Just hold the lead with this much slack (insert her showing me) and put your hand in your pocket. If he tries to put his nose to the ground just shrug your shoulder up quickly so that he feels the resistance and he will correct himself.” I did as she said and within 2 laps around the ring of heel he was acting better. She instructed me to switch the lead to his choke collar (it was on right above the pinch collar) since he was being good. In her words..” he’s showing correct behaviour he has earned the right to use the compfy collar. If he starts reverting back to bad behaviour and not listening then you put him back on the pinch until he earns his right again.” It was soo eye opening! I didn’t like the idea of a pinch collar especially since I’d had no formal training on using one. It would have NEVER been something I would have just picked up from the pet store and started using on my own. I’m not saying I’m running out and buying one this instance nor am I endorsing them but I believe in the right situation and under the correct supervision it is a valuable training tool in my experience.

Let me tell you Judge did in fact lose his privledge of the compfy collar by throwing a full blown toddler temper tantrum complete with legs in the air and growl/whining. EMBARRASSING. The trainer kinda chuckled and said “it’s always the biggest and strongest willed dogs that throw the temper tantrums. I had one last class too. It’s their last resort after they realize they cant boss you into getting their own way by throwing their weight around.” She instructed me to just keep walking and he will follow. Which he did indeed. After that he started refusing treats in protest (which he has done before) so I switched treats out with pats on the head (another currency he accepts with glee). The last 15 mins of class he was just plain exhausted and was panting a storm up. It seemed I had won the “battle of the wills”.

Honestly for the 1st class I learned a lot. Now it’s just a matter of small training sessions until the next class on Thursday which I am excited for! I’ll keep you all updated on his progress!

Oh And another thing that was interesting is that when the trainer was putting his collar on she mentioned she had a dog that looks very similar to him in her 4H class. I asked her “is his name Sparky?” Sure enough she knows and works with Judges full blood brother from a previous litter. He is a 4H obedience winner and is trained by a 10 year old. Sooooo maybe just MAYBE Judge is trainable by a 27 year old

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Yay team Judge!!!

using tools properly can be useful in many situations...having a trainer that seems to have a sense of humor & knowledge along with a positive attitude is great!

I always say...the class is mostly to train me...then I can teach my dog!

Road Dawg

So we have had Judges 2nd obedience class. We have already made progress as I did Not have to use the pinch collar once!

We learned a proper lay down and proper turns while heeling. He did throw a mini temper tantrum when he got tired of showing me he could lay down. “ how many times do I got to show you woman!?!?!” Was the look I got after 5 mins of lay down commands. The trainer was good and said “he’s one of those breeds that will show you they can do it and then will flip you off when you abuse the command. That may be something you are just going to have to get used to. Knowing his limit and how many times you can use the command before it becomes useless.” Then she mentioned her Siberian huskies are the same way. She wanted to end on a good note with training and let us bow out of any lay down commands from that point on as to not reinforce his not listening to the command.

We had a couple more dogs this class. One of which was super distracting to Judge during the “stay” portion of the class. It was a little male papillon that likes to squeak in protest during the stay. Judge wanted to go over and check him out every time he heard him squeak! I’m thinking that is his guardian coming out in him. He was also really drawn to this new catahoula leopard puppy (female) that was there this time. She was just a baby and cute as a button and nervous. Again his guardian was showing I believe.

Again it was a great class and we learned things. Yaaaay! Monday’s class was canceled due to the amount of rain we have got over the course of the weekend. The trainers land is essentially a swamp today

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Congratulations!!! You are making great strides with your boy and should be so proud!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kholts View Post
    SHe did throw a mini temper tantrum when he got tired of showing me he could lay down. “ how many times do I got to show you woman!?!?!” Was the look I got after 5 mins of lay down commands.
    Yep, training a pyr takes negotiation skills It's a good thing that you found a trainer who understands not all dogs are wired to obey commands like a robot. Huskies aren't exactly known to excel in the obedience rings either...

Congrats on all you & Judge have accomplished so far...you are proving that you are truly a team!!!

and I am so awed by the trainer you are using....she sounds like she's very knowledgeable and understands the breed...such a plus!

Road Dawg

Thanks everyone

Thursday’s class went supremely well! I was a little anxious to see how he behaved that class because he had played the WHOLE day with my sister in laws rottweiler. He was so exhausted when I put him in the car to go to class. I was thinking he was just going to lay down in the arena and not want to do anything! Luckily when we got there he got out of the car ready to learn and actually listen and complete all the commands without one tantrum Even the trainer 1/4 of the way through class mentioned he seemed calm. That’s when I told her he was just exhausted and didn’t have the energy to fight. I guess this really shows that an exercised dog is a trainable dog lol.

During class we practiced all the things we learned (heel, sit, lay down, sit/stay, lay down/stay) then we learned the “stand” command. This command is for vet/grooming purposes. Basically it’s getting your dog to stand on command and not react to people touching them. The dog had to be more into the treat than the person touching them. Judge excelled at this one. The trainer was able to run her hand from his head to his rump with out him even acknowledging her presence. I was kinda surprised as he is all about people and getting pet.

The next class is tonight! I’m going to make sure I take Judge for a long walk before leaving to class. It’s also stupid hot today so I’m sure that will take some of the pep out of his step lol.

Here is the latest eye candy. Freshly bathed and already dirty
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B795AB9-0D0A-4B6C-BC1E-94E6B73F6C9A.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	9705

oh, the look on his face in that photo...like "I know I look handsome!"

your experience with him being mentally & physically tired and learning is a good lesson to all....we have to keep reminding ourselves to really give these pups some challenging exercise!

congrats on all the accomplishments & team work you & Judge are doing together!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

Congratulations to you both!!! You are giving me serious inspiration to attempt a class with Zech. Judge is rockin' this with you....
    I am not even sure where to start here in Denver but I think I may have to figure that out. I just think Zech would love learning with other dogs; though I think I would be the learning one - eyes wide- LOL

P.S. That just bathed photo is priceless cheers