Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pyraneese Breeding Questions

Our Great Pyraneese "Puppy" (he is 65 lbs lol) is going to be a year old before long and and I wondering what is the best age to try to introduce him to breeding. My goal is to breed him at least once before having him fixed.

Road Dawg

I think the important thing is to ask yourself a few questions first. Why do you want to breed this dog? Does this dog have the type of temperament you want to pass on? Is he a working dog or not? What will you do with puppies that dont find homes right away?

Now to answer your question.
    I would wait until the dog is fully mature, so around 2 years before I would consider breeding.

Young Dawg (Member)

Thank you for the advice... Since he is a purebred male Great Pyraneesee it was my understanding that I get the pick of the litter and the other pups are the in the domain of the female dog's ownership. He is an excellent dog with a great temperment I think any of his pups would have no issues finding homes.
    Is there a problem with Great Pyraneese getting adopted?

Road Dawg

They arent a "popular" breed and often get looked over when people are looking for large dogs from what I have seen.
    But from what you described I think you could, but I would wait until he is fully mature and his personality has been solidified to determine if he has a good temperament, people on here will tell you that sometimes dogs change completely around the 1.5 - 2 year mark.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadric View Post
    He is an excellent dog with a great temperment I think any of his pups would have no issues finding homes.
    Is there a problem with Great Pyraneese getting adopted?
    In a nutshell, there are a lot more Great Pyrenees out there in need of homes right now than there are permanent homes, foster homes, and spots in rescue. I would strongly encourage y ou to volunteer with a rescue in your area before you decide whether or not to breed your boy.

Should you decide that breeding him is still something you would like to do, he will need to have all of the appropriate health and genetic testing. I would also recommend waiting until he is at least 2 1/2 years old, as some dogs who are friendly as puppies can become somewhat less friendly as adults.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Gadric....is the female cleared with hips & eyes...will your male be also....I would check with a Great Pyrenees breeding site to confirm what other health tests should be done...and that will also tell you what the proper age & health would be for breeding

are these going to be AKC registered pups....are both parents preregister?
    any problems in the lineage on either side?

take a look at your local Great Pyrenees rescue....how many dogs are there in rescue right now?

my personal feeling....not that you asked....is that anyone who can't spell Pyrenees....really shouldn't be thinking of breeding...just my personal opinion...sorry

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadric View Post
    Since he is a purebred male Great Pyraneesee it was my understanding that I get the pick of the litter
    Granted, I’m not a breeder, but I have never heard of things being done this way. Typically, breeding males will earn a stud fee. The more “valuable” the stud (registered, proven as a working dog, in the conformation ring, or both, having cleared all health and genetic testing, etc), the higher the fee.

With Pyrs, it is often discouraged to keep genetic relatives in the same home, as it can lead to the dogs fighting one another for status. Several years ago, we had a member who wanted to take in both her dog’s father, and one of the littermates, after the breeder fell on hard times. I don’t know the whole story, but I do know that it did not go well.

Many knowledgeable breeders will have potential puppy buyers fill out an extensive questionnaire before a litter is born. Then, they do their best to place the resulting puppies in the homes best suited to them, based on the answers to the questionnaires. If there is not a good match for a particular potential buyer, the breeder will give them the option of either waiting to see if a puppy from a later litter is a better match, or refunding the buyer’s deposit.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian