Thread: Comfort Care

Old Dawg (Senior Member) BooBoo's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy Comfort Care

It is with great sadness that i report Junior in now in his final stages of life. Junior has been a big #172 (baby) boy since we recused him 10 years ago at the age of 3. He is now almost 14, and down to #100.

His legs have been giving him problems for years now, and now his back legs keep giving out, trouble getting up, laying down, he is having accidents in the house and he is just starting to feel more pain. He is still eating, and wants to go for daily walks (we use to go for hours, now we go for about 30 minutes or so.) For years he has been on glucosamine for his joints, and DLPA for arthritis. His arthritis is now in his back and his hide legs muscles are really deteriorating. His vet said no other options are available, and we placed him on Deramaxx for comfort.

Has anyone had luck with Deramaxx? I have read that some fur parents do not like the drug, and this drug as serious side effects. Junior has been on it for 2 days, with diarrhea, but no accidents and he seems in a better mood.

We have two weeks worth of Deramaxx, enough for everyone to say goodbyes, and (sorry I cannot finish-I am in tears....)
    Renee

beccanae`s Photos

We recently had to let go of our 4 year old Malamute Hugo due to seizures. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I am so sorry you are having to go through this and I can only imagine how much harder it must be after having them with you for so many years.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Renee....no I have not used Deramaxx...however if it seems to be working for Junior....then that's what you should give him

I am sorry to read this, but thank you for letting us get to know him through you...and sharing him with us....the mischief, the goodness and now this

I will hold you & your family in my heart as you go through this difficult time

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) BooBoo's Avatar

RIP Junior 2005-2018, We Love You...
    Renee

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I know there are no words right now that will comfort you, but please know you have a whole community here feeling the wrenching sorrow you & your family are going through...

my heart is with you...my tears are also

be at peace dear Junior...you were loved & will be much missed

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

I am so so sorry for your loss of Junior, Renee. I know from reading your posts over the years that you did right by Junior and he had as a good a life as any creature could ask for: home, love, long walks.

I am sorry that I cannot do anything for you to help you fill that big hole in your heart. May time help you heal your pain and that you will one day be able to think only of the fond memories of Junior.

Big hugs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Sending our love and heartfelt condolences in this time of deep grief. Our hearts are with you in the loss of your precious boy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Sending you love!

beccanae`s Photos

Sending hugs and love.