Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default When Ya Can't Take Them Anywhere...

Our almost-3-year-old, Jack, is a shelter rescue. He was 10 months when we got him. He was fixed and had his shots shortly after that. Shots will come due soon and he will need a grooming - desperately.

The problem is deep seated abandonment issues that prevent us from getting him into the car. He'll go out in the fenced-in yard, no problem, but no way he's getting into a vehicle. He won't get into a tub either, which is really curious because as soon as it rains, he'll drag us to the door to open it for him - he has to be out running in the rain. But no bath, no way.

Nails, ears, and a bath have to be done. The situation is getting desperate. And we can't do any of it. He resists. Firmly, but mildly. He doesn't become an attack dog or anything dramatic like that - he simply pulls away and just isn't going to have any part of it.

Unfortunately, I am seeing no alternative but sedation. It has to be done once and only once. Hopefully he will change his attitude toward all of it with one experience and allow it the next time. The dog has to be maintained. Sedation is an absolute last resort for anybody, I'm sure, but we have truly reached the point of that being the only option.

So here's the problem: the vet is going to say "no sedative until I see the dog." And we will say "No seeing the dog until he's sedated." Lather, rinse, repeat.

Has anybody else found an alternative to all this?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

yes....our vet asks us to mildly sedate Rudy before a visit (she's seen him before & knows how strong & reactive he can be)

so we give him Trazadone before we go in...2 100mg. tablets 60-90 minutes before his appointment....it doesn't "put him out" it just makes him mellow a bit

the other thing you could try if your vet won't agree to the Trazadone, is Benedryl....it will make Jack sleepy...as it does for humans...you can ask your vet the dosage...it is usually 1mg per pound of weight....(you can ask your vet about the dosage they recommend) I wouldn't self medicate until you talk to a professional...even if it's another vet's office

I give it to my dogs if they have been stung, it takes down the swelling & makes them lethargic...Rudy is 80 pounds, but I usually start with a small dose to see his reaction first

let us know how things work out for you & Jack!

Puppy (New Member)

I adopted my Pyr mix at a shelter too when he was 9 months - he's about 2 1/2 years old now. His name is Kokuma, but I usually just call him Kook.

I had trouble getting him into the car too - in fact, my nephew had to lift him into the back of the Outback when I adopted him. Like Jack, he firmly, but mildly, resisted getting into the car. As such, hefting was required for quite some time. Eventually, I tried taking him out for "fun" excursions where we went to the dog park or to visit someone. Once he began to associate getting in the car with something good rather than scary and that it wasn't a one way trip from home, he got a lot better. Perhaps a couple of similar excursions might help ease Jack's anxiety.

Kook is not a fan of baths either - in general, he's not a big fan of water so at least I don't have to worry about him having a good romp in the mud. I give him his baths outside usually with a collar or the cat leash looped around his neck to keep him from sidling off. I have washed him in the tub a few times, but it really wasn't a great experience for either of us. I'm just north of Houston, so a good part of the year I can bath him outside without weather concerns.

I've taken him to be a groomer a few times to be washed when we had colder weather and I couldn't see washing him outside nor felt like handling an inside job. He was anxious the first time, but did well after. The staff reported back that he did very well with them even though they could tell he wasn't thrilled.

Road Dawg

Could you work on getting him into the car with treats and them just take him back inside? Then work up to a drive around the block with lots of treats, then a trip to the ice cream store, then vet without shots, etc.? There is a frozen custard place near us that gives a free tiny taste cone for free to dogs...and having a small chance of the trip being for an ice cream cone makes him an eager car rider

Young Dawg (Member)

Kokuma ... glad you were able to work it out. Ours is so hell bent on not being brought back to the shelter (as if that could ever happen) he won't get near any vehicle. He'll slip right out of any harness we put him in anyway, and bolt. No vehicles. I certainly understand the logic and happily it worked for you but just to make the attempt at getting ours into one is just too risky. We had a mobile vet come over and we were able to harness him up and muzzle him while still inside the fenced-in back yard; with two of us calming him they were able to give him his shots. So all's well that ends well!

Young Dawg (Member)

See the previous reply ... I think that method would work also, if we could only get him into the vehicle without his escaping. I suppose we could drive the car into the back yard (it's a 10' farm-style gate) and work on it there, where there's no real danger of escape. He's so peculiar ... all we have to do is rest a kiddie gate across a door, where a light breeze could knock it down, and he will never touch it. He respects boundaries like nothing you've ever seen. Our fence is welded wire held to metal T-posts with zip ties and there is no problem. Of course now that it's just beginning to cool off at night, he doesn't want to come back inside! He loves his yard, and that was the whole point of putting the fence up.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CMalcheski View Post
    I suppose we could drive the car into the back yard (it's a 10' farm-style gate) and work on it there, where there's no real danger of escape.
    If the vehicle anxiety is so severe that he wouldn't even get close to a vehicle, you might actually have to get the car into the backyard to work with him. Hopefully you have a big backyard because you want him to have enough room where he would not be forced to be in close proximity of the car when you start.

You would start by just getting the car into the yard first then bring him out from the house once the car is there. You might want to have him on leash. In the beginning, I would bring him out, but don't acknowledge the car being there. Pay absolutely no attention to the car and don't try to get him to acknowledge the car in any way. If you can get him to the backyard while the car is there and he doesn't totally freak on you, that's when you break out super high value treats and keep those treats only for car training sessions. You want him to be able to take treats from you while both he and car are in the backyard. If you can achieve that, then you get just a few feet closer to the car and give him a treat. This is not likely be a quick process so you will have to have lots of patience. You build on baby steps. If he's willing to get treats in close proximity to the car, then you open the door and leave it open. Still don't get him to acknowledge the car, but try to see if you can get him to take treats closer and closer to the open door. The goal is to get him to progress in baby steps.

I've had my share of working with anxiety and I totally comprehend the shutting down and sheer irrational
    phobia. My current adolescent has storm anxiety. We have to board him on bad weather days so that he would not freak out by himself at home. When it storms he is given Sileo to help him. It is fast acting sedative that is now widely prescribed. You might want to consult your vet about Sileo for situations where you need to take him somewhere for whatever reason.

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    If the vehicle anxiety is so severe that he wouldn't even get close to a vehicle...
    I seriously like these ideas ... we will do this; I think it will work very well long-term. It's a 1-acre lot, about 105' wide and very long so it's possible we could even take him for a ride while never leaving the yard just to acclimate him to being in the car. He does okay if we leave; it's HIM leaving that's a problem. He has an automatic door so he can come in and go out as he pleases which was very important to us ... we labored for days in 110 degree heat index and high humidity to put that fence up just so he would have space to run and play. As it begins to cool off outside, he now goes out at sunset and stays out for hours. By 11 p.m. we have to get him inside and turn the door off; he will bark all night and that would not go over well in the neighborhood.

Anyway ... it was a long adjustment period when we first got him but he's now beginning his third year with us so yes, it's time he became mobile. We'll be patient. Thank you for the awesome ideas!!!