Hybrid View

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Help with Containment and Food Aggression

Posted this in wrong area.. hoping for answers here.

Default New Poster! Containment issues
    Ok. I am a new poster... We have two GPs. We’ve had them since they were 8 weeks old. They are now 18 mos old. They are sisters. I admit I was one of those people who read and read and read abt GPs prior to getting them but also told aka lied to myself that ‘ours wouldn’t behave that way ‘. We are trying not to give up on them which many folks do and why there’s so many in shelters but we are growing weary.

Problem 1. We’ve resorted to putting them in a 25x80 ft chain length ‘run’ but I hate them not being in our 15 ac grassy pasture... where we originally wanted them to be with our goats and mini donkey. They always escape and harass neighbors (bc they don’t know their boundaries and bark in the neighbors back yard at 330AM, chase their chickens and corner their horses... all Different neighbors who prob don’t like us very much right now). Any tips on fencing or keeping them in on a larger scale? I read mixed opinions on electric fences/shock collars etc. I know they are prone to wander but I need them to stay on our property. The pasture is so large I never know where or how they escape. I think it is always digging though. We do have barbed wire at the top of our 4x4 square type fencing. Need tips for keeping them contained without having to keep them in the run they are in... it seems like doggie jail to me.

Problem 2. They fight like wolves at feeding time. And just like when they get out and wander do not listen when I try to break them up. I feed them in separate locations but alpha always goes from her bowl to her sister’s bowl and bullies her til she doesn’t eat much.

Neither are spayed yet. That’s on the list soon. Our vet wanted to wait til they were older. I wonder if that will calm them down?

Any info would be appreciated!

H&H Mom

Road Dawg

I'm really sad that no one has offered you any advice, that being said, I dont have any to offer as our Pyr is a house pet and I dont have these problems. If you need some help I would direct you to Reddit.com/r/greatpyrenees, or Reddit.com/r/dogs and post this exact issue, both are fairly active and you might get some answers.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

H & H mom...so sorry you are having this problem....I like the fact that you admit that you may have "talked" yourself into thinking yours would be different...some times that happens...but not always

if you are having these issues at 18 months, I think it might help to have them spayed, but again, no real way to know if this will help

2) I would feed them in crates or kennels....food down...what doesn't get finished after 15 minutes...gets picked up...out of reach of both girls...if you have to, feed them in different rooms of the house, barn, garage where ever...takes alot of time, but you have to get control over this

3) we have 10 acres...no animals to guard...however, Rudy is contained within 4 of those acres...which gives him plenty of room to run...he has never challenged a fence as you describe (we have the same fencing)....so we are lucky

I know it's alot of work...but you have to walk your fencing to see if you can find out where & how they are getting out...maybe even leash them...they might lead you to the spot (wouldn't that be nice & easy!)
    If they are climbing out...you can try a roll bar fencing on top of your fence....look up PVC pipe to keep dogs contained

and the last....they really might need to be separated....only you know for sure since you are with them every day....I know it's hard to think about....but it may be the best solution

please keep us informed on your situation

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you.
    We will try the crate/separations tactic and see in re to feeding.
    Our first stop will be spaying them. Hopefully this will calm them slightly.
    I’ve also wondered if having 2 makes it worse. Maybe if we rehomed one it would help but I can’t decide which one to let go of bc we love them bot and are attached to them. They seem to be like 2 kids who get in trouble bc they have a friend with them lol. Bad influences on each other. We also may try to section off part of the 15 ac and really work hard on GP proof fencing. We have a total of 25 ac so they have plenty of acreage to roam but need to stay on our 25ac.
    Thanks for your reply!

H&H Mom

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by H&hmom View Post
    I’ve also wondered if having 2 makes it worse. They seem to be like 2 kids who get in trouble bc they have a friend with them lol. Bad influences on each other.
    That is the case. It is mostly not recommended to get littermate pups, particularly littermates of the same gender. Littermates can often develop the "us against the world" mentality. They bond with each other and less with the humans. Two makes a pack and so they develop pack behavior.

Also, if you have food aggression now, that issue could escalate into same gender aggression as they mature and the one that gets picked on decide one day she's gonna fight back. Thus it is very important you separate them at feeding time right away. But keep in mind, same gender aggression could develop anyway because it is not uncommon in LGDs.

It isn't a bad idea to rehome one of them, though it is a very tough decision to make. But if you are able to separate them at feeding, and put up a secure enclosure quickly, you may be able to keep them both. The important thing is they can't be allowed to go wondering at will because the more they practice it, the harder it becomes to break them of the habit.