Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

beccanae`s Photos

Default Adventures with Felix

Several years ago we went to visit an alpaca farm and my oldest daughter fell in love with the gentle giant dogs that were guarding them. 4 years ago when we decided to add dogs to our family there weren't any of this breed near by so we added an Australian Shepherd, Ali with tons of behavior and fear issues many from being taken away from her mom too early. Luckily with lots of love and training she is a great dog now. My husband had always wanted a Husky so when a litter was put up for adoption He picked the biggest and laziest out of the batch and we luckily ended up with a 90 pound dog that acted much more like a Malamute than a husky. Once Hugo was about a year old he showed signs of being emphatically attached to our oldest daughter with Autism and we started training him to be her therapy/around the house service dog. He would make her get up and get dressed, remind her when it was time to wash the dishes, make her take baths, and help her with meltdowns and much more. Unfortunately he started having seizures last summer and over time they escalated to multiple grand mal seizures several times a week and the meds were not helping. So a month ago we had to say goodbye.

We knew Ali needed a doggy companion to be happy so we started the search for a new addition to our family. We found a breeder of Great Pyrenees 2 hours away. He only had a boy puppy left but said he was very people friendly and was left behind because he was a boy and the rest of the litter was girls. We took the chance and drove two hours to meet the puppy and it was instant love. My oldest daughter picked him up and he curled up in her arms and licked her. He spent the two hour trip home curled between my two daughters in the back seat and would only pop his head up if we hit a bump on the road.

Felix has now been in our home for two weeks. At 9 weeks when we took him to the vet for his first check up he weighed 20 pounds and I know he has grown even more in the week since then. Ali is adjusting well to the new puppy in the house and is teaching him bite suppression and proper play etiquette without being over aggressive towards him. Of course we do not trust them to be left alone with each other yet. Felix is doing well with potty training and only having a couple of accidents a day. We immediately put him in puppy training class and he is doing well there. This week he was star puppy because he came, sat, and laid down on command for the teacher. When we first got him he wanted to chew on the furniture but with toy redirection he has stopped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33020271_599060533796079_7390878919521468416_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	9663The main behaviors we are currently dealing with are being a bit bitey to humans and not wanting to go outside to potty. He will go potty once he is outside but it takes lots of coaxing to get him to the door.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

My heart breaks reading about your sweet Hugo. I canít imagine what your family must be going through. There arenít words to describe how sorry I am for your loss.

Felix is absolutely adorable, and I canít wait to hear all about your familyís adventures with him!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

beccanae`s Photos

Yesterday my oldest daughter taught Felix to play fetch. He seemed to really enjoy it and even brought her a toy for her to play it with him again this morning.

Today we took Felix to our city wide yard sale. He got to socialize with lots of different people including some in uniforms and a lady with a cane. One of the local fireman gave him a tour of the firehouse including the fire truck with siren on. He paused for a moment and went into guard stance but did not bark at the siren. He was good walking on the leash for my daughter but had to take a couple breaks in the shade because it was hot even though we went early. We did make sure and bring plenty of water with us for him. He loves people especially children and thinks they should all stop and give him pets. He also has been very good around dogs of lots of sizes so far too.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

That sounds like a fun day! I can only imagine that he was the center of attention for a good part of the day!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about your Hugo. What a heartbreaking loss for all of you. Felix is an adorable little guy and sounds like he is getting off to a great start.

When I had a pup that didn't want to go outside, I turned it into a game. I would drag a toy on the ground and get him to chase it and just move right out the door in the midst of the game. Reward him with a lot of happy things when he does potty outside and he will begin to WANT to go out there for the party that's thrown when he is out there. Can't really offer you much on the bitey business other than try to redirect it to something acceptable for him to bite. Have lots of toys around that you can shove into the little shark mouth. My 9 month old is still very mouth oriented and when excited, gets mouthy. A gentle bite on the backside by a dog that's almost 90lbs is not exactly an acceptable greeting behavior!

beccanae`s Photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_155510.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	9673
    Today Felix is 11 weeks old. This week he has discovered his love for digging. My husband is making him a digging spot this weekend so hopefully we can teach him to mostly dig in that spot while he is still little. His biting is getting more gentle and less frequent. I have swapped to using kibble instead of a treat to encourage him to go outside and it seems to still be working. The potty training is going well. It has been over a week since a poop accident and he is down to only 1 or 2 accidents and it mainly happens we when get busy and we miss his cue so not really his fault. He destroyed his first toy, a rubber ball. So balls will only be given when playing fetch and not allowed to be chewed on. He is growing like crazy. I cannot wait to go to the vet next week and see how much he has grown.

Today we go back to week 3 of puppy training. I hope it goes well. Thanks for all the sweet comments.

beccanae`s Photos

We have renamed him to Louis(Louie). He never came to Felix and seems to like Louis much better We went to the vet today and he is up to 31 pounds at 12 weeks. He has gotten better about going outside without treats and is doing awesome with potty training. He is down to only 1 accident at day at most and sleeping a 5-7 hour block at night now. So awesome to get some sleep.

He has starting licking to show affection and has gotten a lot less bitey towards humans. He has added stand to his mastered commands this week. He and Ali are best buds now. Ali makes sure he gets food, water and treats when she does. And she is so much happier having a playmate again and is even sharing her favorite toys.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by beccanae View Post
    We have renamed him to Louis(Louie). He never came to Felix and seems to like Louis much better We went to the vet today and he is up to 31 pounds at 12 weeks. He has gotten better about going outside without treats and is doing awesome with potty training. He is down to only 1 accident at day at most and sleeping a 5-7 hour block at night now. So awesome to get some sleep.
    Lol, clearly you did not consult Mr-Newly-Named-Louis what name he'd like to be referred to... You should know better if you've researched the breed! You must know they make their own decisions!

My Bijou, the one on the left of my avatar pic, didn't respond much to her name in her first year. I actually think she thought her name was "BIJOU WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW!!!!!" in that first year.

Glad that Mr. Louis is doing well in potty training. My current pyr is 20 months old. Man, potty training Ren was BRUTAL. There were days where he'd have a dozen accidents in one evening. He improved with time, but he was fully 6 months old before he was reliable about not having accidents.

Louis sounds like a great puppy. Sounds like he is well on his way to become a great companion to and protector for Ali.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

sounds like your little guy is growing up & maturing.....and you get some rest now!!

I love the fact that you recognized he prefers the name Louis over Felix!!! (maybe it reminded him of that old cartoon...Felix the Cat!!)

beccanae`s Photos

Louis had a bad night last night. He was awake from 12-4 and into everything. He woke my oldest daughter up at 3 am barking. Once she got up he finally settled down. Lately he has been showing signs of some minor separation anxiety. He is a family dog and loves everyone but there is something special between him and my 20 year old daughter with autism. She has been spending a lot of time in her room away from the puppy playing the new Splatoon 2 expansion and even though she took an almost 2 hour break to play with him yesterday it is a lot less than he is used to. We think this might explain his behavior or the fact he got his shots the day before and slept way more than usual and thus was wide awake in the middle of the night. Liz is going to give him more attention today and see if that helps. We are also going to buy him so longer lasting chewy treats for when he needs help calming back down after getting too wound up.